EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2017 10:32 pm
Jul 13, 2007
202 posts
48 upvotes
Calgary
Hi,

My wife was on maternity/parental leave and was claiming EI. She was laid off before returning to work. EI says due to her combination of severance pay and total weeks of EI, she is unable to extend or continue her claim? Seems kind of unfair, as if she had returned to work for even a few months after her maternity leave was over, she would be eligible for a new claim (if she had met the 600 hours rule). Is this accurate for how EI works? I would have thought parents have more protection in this case.

Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7771 posts
1252 upvotes
Edmonton
ns_guy wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:16 pm
Hi,

My wife was on maternity/parental leave and was claiming EI. She was laid off before returning to work. EI says due to her combination of severance pay and total weeks of EI, she is unable to extend or continue her claim? Seems kind of unfair, as if she had returned to work for even a few months after her maternity leave was over, she would be eligible for a new claim (if she had met the 600 hours rule). Is this accurate for how EI works? I would have thought parents have more protection in this case.

Thanks.
She can't double up, she doesn't have any new hours and hasn't paid premiums for the last year.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7771 posts
1252 upvotes
Edmonton
McLaren__F1 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:41 pm
Does EI self employed applicants take longer for review?
No longer than anyone else
Banned
Nov 7, 2017
28 posts
5 upvotes
Has the glut of unemployed & laid off SEARS employees arrived at EI yet ? I believe there are 12,000 of them, who will be canned soon :(

Or are they being used for the X'Mas season before getting canned ? I believe majority of them won't have severance packages, pensions etc - only some at the very top will. Most of them won't get other retail jobs, so might have to change their fields.

Expect EI offices to be quite busy over the next few weeks, when these laid off SEARS employees start applying. With holidays coming up, things will be delayed further.

On the best of days, the incompetent, rude, arrogant, condescending Service Canada employees especially the EI ones, who are on the public teat slack off. So you can only imagine what will happen now.

The best job is in the public sector. Try to get in by hook or crook. Less work, Less education, Less qualification needed and pretty much a guaranteed unionised job for life with fantastic salaries & pensions :) . You do need connections & contacts to get in, as they mostly hire their own & promote from within. Nepotism & brown nosing at the best, but once you are in, you are set for life.
Banned
Nov 7, 2017
28 posts
5 upvotes
Wondering93 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 9:04 am
Question:

My husband was dismissed from his job due to misconduct. This was using the busines computer for personal use or something of the sort. After filing for ei and speaking with the commision, his ei was approved and no misconduct was proved.

He then enrolled in school , through the government funded skills program ( ei has to be approved and paying) they paid for half of the cost as well as gas, books and all that jazz.

He has been getting ei for approx 2 months. Now his employer is asking for a redo of the findings. He got a call saying that the employer is fighting the fact he gets benefits.

How will this effect the fact he is being paid to go to school because he has ei, and he has received 3-4 payments. How do these cases usually turn out?

Also why would an employer do this, is there a gain for them?

Thanks.
His employer is just being vindictive. Maybe after he left, some other employers also quit or were fired or something. Some complaints might have gone to the Ministry of Labour and some investigation must be taking place.

So his employer is trying to prove they are the good guys and not the bad guys, and previous employers were really wrong and were fired for misconduct and not just fired just like that. So they want to discredit your husband to look good in the eyes of the Ministry of Labour.
Banned
Nov 7, 2017
28 posts
5 upvotes
A friend of mine sued EI and won. They denied her compassionate care benefits, even though she was eligible and a totally legitimate claim.

They gave her some BS reason for denying the claim. She laid out a proper case & tried to explain it to them, she even appealed the decision, but callous, incompetent EI employees wouldn't admit their mistake & fault.

According to them they are perfect & can do NO wrong. Their decision is final & they are always right, something is always wrong with the person applying. The applicant is supposed to just lie down and take their incompetency . Guess what since she was right, she sued them & won. They had to pay all her legal costs & much more..LOL.

So don't be afraid to take on EI. Lot of times they are wrong and foolishly deny your EI claims or under pay you or delay your payments, when you are fully entitled to it & everything is legit.

These are public servants, not public masters and work for you, not the other way round. They are not doing you any favours, its their job to pay out legitimate claims.

So appeal any decision and lawyer up and fight it out, if you are right. Don't be afraid to clog up the system further, let the EI employees earn their pay check instead of slacking off. Goodle the various articles about the incompetency of EI employees & their sheer ignorance & arrogance. Lives are at stake because of their incompetency :(
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7771 posts
1252 upvotes
Edmonton
miyoshidoll wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 3:32 am
Has the glut of unemployed & laid off SEARS employees arrived at EI yet ? I believe there are 12,000 of them, who will be canned soon :(

Or are they being used for the X'Mas season before getting canned ? I believe majority of them won't have severance packages, pensions etc - only some at the very top will. Most of them won't get other retail jobs, so might have to change their fields.

Expect EI offices to be quite busy over the next few weeks, when these laid off SEARS employees start applying. With holidays coming up, things will be delayed further.

On the best of days, the incompetent, rude, arrogant, condescending Service Canada employees especially the EI ones, who are on the public teat slack off. So you can only imagine what will happen now.

The best job is in the public sector. Try to get in by hook or crook. Less work, Less education, Less qualification needed and pretty much a guaranteed unionised job for life with fantastic salaries & pensions :) . You do need connections & contacts to get in, as they mostly hire their own & promote from within. Nepotism & brown nosing at the best, but once you are in, you are set for life.
miyoshidoll wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 4:00 am
A friend of mine sued EI and won. They denied her compassionate care benefits, even though she was eligible and a totally legitimate claim.

They gave her some BS reason for denying the claim. She laid out a proper case & tried to explain it to them, she even appealed the decision, but callous, incompetent EI employees wouldn't admit their mistake & fault.

According to them they are perfect & can do NO wrong. Their decision is final & they are always right, something is always wrong with the person applying. The applicant is supposed to just lie down and take their incompetency . Guess what since she was right, she sued them & won. They had to pay all her legal costs & much more..LOL.

So don't be afraid to take on EI. Lot of times they are wrong and foolishly deny your EI claims or under pay you or delay your payments, when you are fully entitled to it & everything is legit.

These are public servants, not public masters and work for you, not the other way round. They are not doing you any favours, its their job to pay out legitimate claims.

So appeal any decision and lawyer up and fight it out, if you are right. Don't be afraid to clog up the system further, let the EI employees earn their pay check instead of slacking off. Goodle the various articles about the incompetency of EI employees & their sheer ignorance & arrogance. Lives are at stake because of their incompetency :(
Feel better now?
Jul 11, 2011
834 posts
485 upvotes
Ontario
clseea wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:00 am
Feel better now?
I think we got trolled last night...hebs
Sep 28, 2013
11 posts
Hi, I have a worker with an accumulated 700 hrs that I need to lay off. She has never yet applied for EI. As a first time applicant does she require 900 hrs to qualify? Or has this number changed recently. Thanks in advance
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8842 posts
2385 upvotes
Calgary
albertabound wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:26 am
Hi, I have a worker with an accumulated 700 hrs that I need to lay off. She has never yet applied for EI. As a first time applicant does she require 900 hrs to qualify? Or has this number changed recently. Thanks in advance
Did she has any prior job before taking this one?
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1429 posts
435 upvotes
miyoshidoll wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 3:46 am
His employer is just being vindictive. Maybe after he left, some other employers also quit or were fired or something. Some complaints might have gone to the Ministry of Labour and some investigation must be taking place.

So his employer is trying to prove they are the good guys and not the bad guys, and previous employers were really wrong and were fired for misconduct and not just fired just like that. So they want to discredit your husband to look good in the eyes of the Ministry of Labour.
I fail to see what any of this has to do with the Ministry of Labour.
Sep 28, 2013
11 posts
b166er1337 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:34 pm
Did she has any prior job before taking this one?
She had a casual on-call job less than 100 hrs accumulated on that job from past yr.
May 31, 2015
78 posts
17 upvotes
British Columbia
albertabound wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:26 am
First time applicants no longer need 910 insurable hours in the qualifying period. She will need between 420 and 700 insurable hours. How many depends on her economic region.

http://srv129.services.gc.ca/rbin/eng/p ... earch.aspx
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7771 posts
1252 upvotes
Edmonton
miyoshidoll wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 3:46 am

hebsie wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:36 am
I think we got trolled last night...hebs
Pretty weak

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

OldMarriedGuy