Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2017 10:32 pm
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
25 posts
6 upvotes
A co-worker is going abroad for about 3 months by taking a Leave Of Absence to take care of his critically ill parent. His job is guaranteed when he comes back from the LOA.
3 months is the longest the company is willing to give him an unpaid LOA. Anything more & they will can him. He has even got a ROE from the company saying Compassionate Care on it.

Is is he eligible for Compassionate care benefits from EI ? He has all the necessary hospital and doctor's documents. But since the documents are from abroad, his parent is abroad & he is going abroad, not sure if EI will give him anything.

Would things have been different or easier to get compassionate care EI if the parent was in Canada ? Or EI doesn't care about the parent's location as long as they are really critical & at a significant risk.

Doesn't EI get tricky, the moment you leave Canada, since you are no longer available here to apply for a job. But in case of Compassionate care EI, maybe the rules of going abroad are different.
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
25 posts
6 upvotes
Can they force people to get jobs they don't want ? Or can you refuse without being black listed & your EI stopped ? Say you are a laid of engineer and now they want you to do a labour job in a warehouse or a retail store clerk, can EI force you to do that ?

EI Reform: Unemployed Canadians face crackdown under federal changes

Changes to Employment Insurance could push the unemployed into lower paying jobs or even jobs they don’t want.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/201 ... anges.html
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
25 posts
6 upvotes
They even pressurize their own employees to reduce or deny payouts to legitimate EI recepients. That's shady, I thought only car insurance companies do that :(

Employment insurance whistleblower still seeking justice three years later

Sylvie Therrien, a former EI fraud investigator who spoke out about being pressured to meet savings quotas by reducing payouts, says her decision has taken a huge toll.

https://www.thestar.com/news/insight/20 ... later.html
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1429 posts
438 upvotes
utuber wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:16 am
Have things improved since the last cull of EI employees ? Or is it still bad in there.

Inside Canada's battered EI system

Jobless Canadians wait over 8 weeks for EI cheques, minister adds resources to deal with backlog

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/inside- ... -1.1183568
This was under Harpers regime when he made unilateral cuts across the whole public service. Things are ‘better’ now.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7771 posts
1252 upvotes
Edmonton
Trudeau has decided to make it easier to get EI and has bolstered staffing levels... Why? Because it's easier to give out EI and increase public sector spending rather than promote growth in the private sector.
Nov 11, 2017
1 posts
Hi have a Mat leave question.

If you owe money to CRA and going on May leave in 1 week. My wife did notifed them she is going on mat leave very soon.What will happen? What are my family options?
Oct 24, 2017
2 posts
Hello,

I returned to work November 6th from my parental leave and my EI claim details say as such. It also says my end of claim is Nov 4th which is accurate.

However it appears as though I will not be receiving a payment for my last week before returning to work. My last payment is until Oct 28th and when I looked further it says "# of weeks parental benefit requested - 35,...# of weeks paid 34". Does that mean I'm only getting 34 or I have only received 34 thus far?

Usually the payments are processed on the Sunday before the payday but there is nothing for today so I am confused.

Thank you!
Aug 23, 2017
2 posts
I've just received a "Notice of Debt" which, according to Service Canada, has to do with $2011.12 showing as vacation pay on my ROE.

Previously I was injured at work and was on EI sick benefits until Sept 15/17; my employer generated an ROE so I could qualify for sickness EI. When these benefits expired I resigned my job as I was not yet healed and was rolled over to regular EI on Sept 18. My employer generated a second ROE on Sept 13 that reported $2011.12 in vacation pay. It is my understanding that, as I earned this vacation pay before I was injured, and my employer reported this income on my ROE, that EI should not be penalizing me. Is this true?

Effective immediately, EI will be taking 25% from my EI until this debt is paid.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1429 posts
438 upvotes
OrcaWhale wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 1:46 pm
I've just received a "Notice of Debt" which, according to Service Canada, has to do with $2011.12 showing as vacation pay on my ROE.

Previously I was injured at work and was on EI sick benefits until Sept 15/17; my employer generated an ROE so I could qualify for sickness EI. When these benefits expired I resigned my job as I was not yet healed and was rolled over to regular EI on Sept 18. My employer generated a second ROE on Sept 13 that reported $2011.12 in vacation pay. It is my understanding that, as I earned this vacation pay before I was injured, and my employer reported this income on my ROE, that EI should not be penalizing me. Is this true?

Effective immediately, EI will be taking 25% from my EI until this debt is paid.
If you were paid the vacation pay initially your claim would have been delayed as this money was allocated based on your weekly average earnings. Since it wasn’t, you were paid benefits during a period you shouldn’t have been collecting anything which is why you have to repay that money.
May 22, 2016
821 posts
137 upvotes
Ontario
Whats the percentage of pay in the Brampton area?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8842 posts
2386 upvotes
Calgary
webshark wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 5:42 am
Whats the percentage of pay in the Brampton area?
same as everywhere else.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Feb 26, 2006
204 posts
2 upvotes
PG, BC
Reactivated a claim and I'm under the automatic "default rule"....am I locked into it? How do I get the "optional rule" and when to get the optional rule for existing and new claim? Thanks

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)