Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 15th, 2019 9:47 am
Member
User avatar
Feb 26, 2006
205 posts
2 upvotes
PG, BC
Reactivated a claim and I'm under the automatic "default rule"....am I locked into it? How do I get the "optional rule" and when to get the optional rule for existing and new claim? Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8448 posts
1452 upvotes
Edmonton
*pgguy* wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 9:03 pm
Reactivated a claim and I'm under the automatic "default rule"....am I locked into it? How do I get the "optional rule" and when to get the optional rule for existing and new claim? Thanks
Your text to link here...
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
22 posts
8 upvotes
OrcaWhale wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 1:46 pm
I've just received a "Notice of Debt" which, according to Service Canada, has to do with $2011.12 showing as vacation pay on my ROE.

Previously I was injured at work and was on EI sick benefits until Sept 15/17; my employer generated an ROE so I could qualify for sickness EI. When these benefits expired I resigned my job as I was not yet healed and was rolled over to regular EI on Sept 18. My employer generated a second ROE on Sept 13 that reported $2011.12 in vacation pay. It is my understanding that, as I earned this vacation pay before I was injured, and my employer reported this income on my ROE, that EI should not be penalizing me. Is this true?

Effective immediately, EI will be taking 25% from my EI until this debt is paid.
Appeal it & fight it out. You have nothing to lose. The worst is they will say NO. Don't just assume they are always right & you are wrong.

Sometimes ( or rather most of the times ) a low level Service Canada clerk sends some letter after doing some wrong calculations & you end up losing because of their mistake.

I had something similar happen long back. Something to do with Severance pay & vacation pay. I just appealed, just cost me a postage stamp & a form I had to mail in. Within 2 weeks, I got a letter from EI admitting their mistake & they did the right calculation. I am glad I appealed, otherwise these idiots would have cost me some nice coin. I shudder to think how many eligible EI recipients are screwed because of the lazy, incompetent & lacksidical attitude of the EI employees.

My ROE was perfect, my employer had sent all the necessary info and answered all the queries, still the morons working in EI decided to screw up a simple straight forward EI application & file.

Anything to do with the government always appeal. Traffic tickets , Speeding tickets, EI , OAS, CPP, CRA whatever , most of the times you will win & things get thrown out.
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
22 posts
8 upvotes
ns_guy wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:16 pm
Hi,

My wife was on maternity/parental leave and was claiming EI. She was laid off before returning to work. EI says due to her combination of severance pay and total weeks of EI, she is unable to extend or continue her claim? Seems kind of unfair, as if she had returned to work for even a few months after her maternity leave was over, she would be eligible for a new claim (if she had met the 600 hours rule). Is this accurate for how EI works? I would have thought parents have more protection in this case.

Thanks.
Anything to do with EI, always appeal. Lot of times they are wrong and you are right. They have some complex rules, which most of the times their own incompetent & poorly trained employees don't understand.

I once called EI on behalf of a client, he had given me the authority to do it. The moronic EI CSR had no clue about their own rules, on top of it he was trying to be all rude & condescending ! I had to school him BIG time & put him in place & then I asked for a supervisor, who was at least a bit smarter than this tool I spoke to. He was able to solve the issue for me.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1943 posts
720 upvotes
wethenorthca wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 1:33 am
Appeal it & fight it out. You have nothing to lose. The worst is they will say NO. Don't just assume they are always right & you are wrong.

Sometimes ( or rather most of the times ) a low level Service Canada clerk sends some letter after doing some wrong calculations & you end up losing because of their mistake.

I had something similar happen long back. Something to do with Severance pay & vacation pay. I just appealed, just cost me a postage stamp & a form I had to mail in. Within 2 weeks, I got a letter from EI admitting their mistake & they did the right calculation. I am glad I appealed, otherwise these idiots would have cost me some nice coin. I shudder to think how many eligible EI recipients are screwed because of the lazy, incompetent & lacksidical attitude of the EI employees.

My ROE was perfect, my employer had sent all the necessary info and answered all the queries, still the morons working in EI decided to screw up a simple straight forward EI application & file.

Anything to do with the government always appeal. Traffic tickets , Speeding tickets, EI , OAS, CPP, CRA whatever , most of the times you will win & things get thrown out.
A person doesn’t process the application. It’s done by a computer program/system.

A ‘human’ is only involved in processing the initial application if there are errors in the ROE or you quit or were terminated in the 52 weeks prior to the application.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1943 posts
720 upvotes
wethenorthca wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 1:43 am
Anything to do with EI, always appeal. Lot of times they are wrong and you are right. They have some complex rules, which most of the times their own incompetent & poorly trained employees don't understand.

I once called EI on behalf of a client, he had given me the authority to do it. The moronic EI CSR had no clue about their own rules, on top of it he was trying to be all rude & condescending ! I had to school him BIG time & put him in place & then I asked for a supervisor, who was at least a bit smarter than this tool I spoke to. He was able to solve the issue for me.
Congratulations. Because the Federal Government never hires new employees who are training on a completely archaic computer system right?

Maybe you should apply for a job there since you’re such an expert.
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
22 posts
8 upvotes
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 7:29 am
Congratulations. Because the Federal Government never hires new employees who are training on a completely archaic computer system right?

Maybe you should apply for a job there since you’re such an expert.
How can I ? Its the Old boys club there & Nepotism is rampant there :). Experts like you & @clseea are already working there.. . You think there is room for me ?

Try getting some of your friends and relatives in there, don't worry the tax payer's will foot the bill & they will get in without any issues.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 11, 2011
3350 posts
1763 upvotes
Ontario
wethenorthca wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 1:43 am
Anything to do with EI, always appeal. Lot of times they are wrong and you are right. They have some complex rules, which most of the times their own incompetent & poorly trained employees don't understand.

I once called EI on behalf of a client, he had given me the authority to do it. The moronic EI CSR had no clue about their own rules, on top of it he was trying to be all rude & condescending ! I had to school him BIG time & put him in place & then I asked for a supervisor, who was at least a bit smarter than this tool I spoke to. He was able to solve the issue for me.
Hey, weren't you just banned three days ago under the account 'utuber' ????
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1943 posts
720 upvotes
wethenorthca wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 10:07 am
How can I ? Its the Old boys club there & Nepotism is rampant there :). Experts like you & @clseea are already working there.. . You think there is room for me ?

Try getting some of your friends and relatives in there, don't worry the tax payer's will foot the bill & they will get in without any issues.
I don’t work there and it’s the furthest thing from an ‘old boys club’.

You can imagine the type of work environment it is there dealing with people like yourself on a daily basis. But hey, throw your application in. If everyone is so incompetent you should get in no problem.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8448 posts
1452 upvotes
Edmonton
hebsie wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 10:39 am
Hey, weren't you just banned three days ago under the account 'utuber' ????
Exactly my thoughts. Apparently he has enough free time to try to troll in here. That's beyond sad.
Newbie
Nov 15, 2017
2 posts
Hi people, I'm new here, and it looks like you wonderful folk like helping out strangers, so here I go.

As with all situations I seem to end up in with the Canadian government, mine feels pretty unique and hard to summarize, but I'll do my best.

I "sort of" voluntarily left my job (that's how it would seem on paper) in BC at the end of September so that me and my wife could move to Quebec so she can go to school. It didn't occur to me that I would be able to get EI at any point so I didn't even look into it at the time (I'm pretty new to the country and didn't know how it works here. I'm PR now though, so that's not an issue). I'm in Quebec now, and looking for work, but with the rapidly approaching Winter and the obvious language issue, it's proving difficult to even get responses from job applications
I contacted my boss for my ROE and he had put "Quit (Moved)" in the reason for leaving section. I was a landscaper and had hoped that he might have put "Shortage of work", as the season was ending very soon anyway and I probably would have ended up on EI if I had stayed there, but not the case.

I looked up the Digest of Benefit Entitlement Principles section of the government website and found a few things regarding moving for marriage, not being able to commute to your job, not being able to transfer etc, but I can't find one that I fit neatly into, what do you think my chances of being eligible are? And how might I go about my application to increase my chances?
It's been 6 weeks since my last day of work, is this an issue? If I am successful, will I get retroactive benefits? Will I need to provide evidence of my wife's enrollment at School? Will my application make it look too much like I just voluntarily left my job and am cruising for a paid holiday? (Not the case at all, I'd love to be able to work here! But if I can get a little bit of financial assistance while I really knuckle down with French lessons and keep looking for work it would be so, so, so helpful.)

Thank you in advance for all your help, you guys are great. Also, if you feel like telling me to just go into a Service Canada branch and talk to a face, I'll except that as advice!
Newbie
Jul 11, 2015
39 posts
2 upvotes
Brampton
Hi Guys
I just wanted to know if someone has a annual package of 50k then how much would be their per month take home in ontario.?
Please answer guys
Thanks in advance for your help
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1943 posts
720 upvotes
LivingKipple86 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 9:56 am
Hi people, I'm new here, and it looks like you wonderful folk like helping out strangers, so here I go.

As with all situations I seem to end up in with the Canadian government, mine feels pretty unique and hard to summarize, but I'll do my best.

I "sort of" voluntarily left my job (that's how it would seem on paper) in BC at the end of September so that me and my wife could move to Quebec so she can go to school. It didn't occur to me that I would be able to get EI at any point so I didn't even look into it at the time (I'm pretty new to the country and didn't know how it works here. I'm PR now though, so that's not an issue). I'm in Quebec now, and looking for work, but with the rapidly approaching Winter and the obvious language issue, it's proving difficult to even get responses from job applications
I contacted my boss for my ROE and he had put "Quit (Moved)" in the reason for leaving section. I was a landscaper and had hoped that he might have put "Shortage of work", as the season was ending very soon anyway and I probably would have ended up on EI if I had stayed there, but not the case.

I looked up the Digest of Benefit Entitlement Principles section of the government website and found a few things regarding moving for marriage, not being able to commute to your job, not being able to transfer etc, but I can't find one that I fit neatly into, what do you think my chances of being eligible are? And how might I go about my application to increase my chances?
It's been 6 weeks since my last day of work, is this an issue? If I am successful, will I get retroactive benefits? Will I need to provide evidence of my wife's enrollment at School? Will my application make it look too much like I just voluntarily left my job and am cruising for a paid holiday? (Not the case at all, I'd love to be able to work here! But if I can get a little bit of financial assistance while I really knuckle down with French lessons and keep looking for work it would be so, so, so helpful.)

Thank you in advance for all your help, you guys are great. Also, if you feel like telling me to just go into a Service Canada branch and talk to a face, I'll except that as advice!
You can apply and indicate that you had to relocate because of your spouse and provide he reason why. This is potentially an allowable reason for quitting.

Anyone applying for EI for whatever reason needs to do so within 4 weeks. Since you didn’t, your claim wouldn’t start retroactively but from the date you apply. You can apply for an ‘antedate request’ which is a request to back date your claim to when you quit, but stating ‘I didn’t know I could apply’ is not a valid reason for applying late.

The circumstances in which a person deems it necessary to accompany a spouse or a common-law partner to another place of residence may result from the voluntary decision one or both of the spouses or common-law partners made to change residence for various reasons. It may also be dictated by events such as the illness or serious injury of a dependent child forcing a person or family to temporarily or indefinitely relocate in order to be closer to treatment centres.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soc ... tml#a6_5_3

Top