Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2017 2:33 am
Nov 15, 2017
2 posts
Thanks so much, pretty much the response I was expecting/hoping for.

I will apply for an antedate request, it seems worth a go, unless there's any reason it could back fire and be counterproductive?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1465 posts
449 upvotes
chaicoffee wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 10:51 am
He is not talking about EI pay .

Just regular salary take home net pay after EI, CPP & Income Tax deductions..LOL.
Umm maybe the wrong forum for that question then? Lol.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1465 posts
449 upvotes
LivingKipple86 wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 11:24 am
Thanks so much, pretty much the response I was expecting/hoping for.

I will apply for an antedate request, it seems worth a go, unless there's any reason it could back fire and be counterproductive?
The worst they could say is no they won’t antedate your claim.

No harm in trying and it doesn’t require much effort other than calling and requesting this.

But first off you need to apply ASAP.
Nov 17, 2017
5 posts
Hello Everyone,
heres my situation, i went on parental leave from dec 2016. whole time i was looking after my ill mother. she been going through very serious medical condition. in august i was able to get doctor note and went on compassnate care benefits for 10 weeks..
it has been a very bad year for all of us in out family. i am on all kind of medication at this moment. i am on sickness benefit at this moment which will finish in jan 2018.
my claim has been from dec 2016. my current job is very stressful and i know i will not be able to that job anymore. if i quit this job, will i be able to receive ei regular benefits?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7820 posts
1255 upvotes
Edmonton
skguyt20 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2017 12:41 am
Hello Everyone,
heres my situation, i went on parental leave from dec 2016. whole time i was looking after my ill mother. she been going through very serious medical condition. in august i was able to get doctor note and went on compassnate care benefits for 10 weeks..
it has been a very bad year for all of us in out family. i am on all kind of medication at this moment. i am on sickness benefit at this moment which will finish in jan 2018.
my claim has been from dec 2016. my current job is very stressful and i know i will not be able to that job anymore. if i quit this job, will i be able to receive ei regular benefits?
You can only collect 50 weeks of benefits when you combine regular and special benefits.... Which I'm assuming you'll have exceeded by then
Jan 31, 2017
6 posts
Hi all was employed with company for 8 years went on mat leave and was offered severance upon my return due to the company doing very poorly. We settled at 20 weeks and this is at salary continuation.

A) is salary continuation eligible for EI and can I claim it now or only when the 20 weeks runs out? I think the hours work out to 17-18 weeks of EI. I understand the job market is pretty tough in the gtA right now so I expect I will need ei until my next job is found
B) can I look for a new job now essentially get two pay checks ?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4403 posts
480 upvotes
Toronto
kpwf78Yk wrote:
Nov 18th, 2017 10:05 pm
Hi all was employed with company for 8 years went on mat leave and was offered severance upon my return due to the company doing very poorly. We settled at 20 weeks and this is at salary continuation.

A) is salary continuation eligible for EI and can I claim it now or only when the 20 weeks runs out? I think the hours work out to 17-18 weeks of EI. I understand the job market is pretty tough in the gtA right now so I expect I will need ei until my next job is found
B) can I look for a new job now essentially get two pay checks ?
A severance package is not the same as EI. The latter will start after your severance package run out.

If you found a job tomorrow your severance package will still be yours but not EI.
Jan 31, 2017
6 posts
thanks and in the event that i get pregnant as i start my new job, how many hours do i need to work to get full parental and mat leave (52 weeks) benefit?
i know 700 hours gets me 17 weeks of EI in toronto, does this also equate to 17 weeks of mat/paternal benefits as well?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1465 posts
449 upvotes
kpwf78Yk wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 8:59 pm
thanks and in the event that i get pregnant as i start my new job, how many hours do i need to work to get full parental and mat leave (52 weeks) benefit?
i know 700 hours gets me 17 weeks of EI in toronto, does this also equate to 17 weeks of mat/paternal benefits as well?
You need 600 hours for any ‘special’ benefits (mat leave, sick leave...etc).
Jul 7, 2013
1 posts
Charlottetown
Hi all, My questions are 1) am I eligible and 2) can I date back my claim?
I quit my last job on August 11 because it was too stressful and I was diagnosed with depression.
I then got a causal job and started to work Sep 1. Originally, I really don’t know I am eligible for EI. But the causal job really do not have enough hours to meet my ends needs and the income is varies from paycheck to paycheck.
My colleague told me I should apply for it. I did it on Nov 7 and my application is still under review because I was “quit”.
My questions are 1) am I eligible and 2) can I date back my claim?
Any advises? Your reply would be much appreciated!
Nov 9, 2017
16 posts
Is it possible to go on EI for depression and mental health issues?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1465 posts
449 upvotes
gorohaje wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 8:54 pm
Hi all, My questions are 1) am I eligible and 2) can I date back my claim?
I quit my last job on August 11 because it was too stressful and I was diagnosed with depression.
I then got a causal job and started to work Sep 1. Originally, I really don’t know I am eligible for EI. But the causal job really do not have enough hours to meet my ends needs and the income is varies from paycheck to paycheck.
My colleague told me I should apply for it. I did it on Nov 7 and my application is still under review because I was “quit”.
My questions are 1) am I eligible and 2) can I date back my claim?
Any advises? Your reply would be much appreciated!
If you quit because of illness or injury you could be entitled for up to 15 weeks of benefits.

However, without a medical note advising you to be off work or an ROE stating that you quit for an illness it’s unlikely you would be approved without this information.

You would have to have a good reason to have your claim ‘back dated’ and not knowing is not a valid reason.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)