EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2017 2:33 am
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
1674 posts
236 upvotes
Nova Scotia
What will EI or SC do in relation to professional fees required for employment? E.g. if I pay monthly dues which are necessary to be employed in a profession, will EI cover those until employment is secured?
I am happy to answer questions about my experience with Fido and Tangerine.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1465 posts
449 upvotes
jmatheson64 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 1:51 pm
What will EI or SC do in relation to professional fees required for employment? E.g. if I pay monthly dues which are necessary to be employed in a profession, will EI cover those until employment is secured?
No.
Jul 24, 2009
598 posts
390 upvotes
kitchener
Hi...just wondering if anything changed for this year as far as being able to make certain amount on the side, without the EI deducting it from the EI payment?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7820 posts
1255 upvotes
Edmonton
angry-trucker wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 7:12 pm
Hi...just wondering if anything changed for this year as far as being able to make certain amount on the side, without the EI deducting it from the EI payment?
No. You can't double dip.. There are deductions
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7820 posts
1255 upvotes
Edmonton
jmatheson64 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 1:51 pm
They won't do anything.
Nov 22, 2017
11 posts
1 upvote
USA, Colorado
There's a caveat on the above statement.

If I've seen someone with a revolving door history of claims every year (usually seasonal layoff) with a clear pattern of no other work history in their downtime, it demonstrates a lack of job search or desire to become employed instead of waiting to be recalled.

I forward these claims to internal investigations.

That can mean an inconvenience to the claimant, or an in-depth investigation which could uncover things that could lead to bigger issues.

While it's true if you have enough hours you can qualify, it doesn't mean that you're on paid vacation.

Ya feel meh?
The future is bulletproof, the aftermarth is secondary (c)
Nov 23, 2017
1 posts
Hey folks!

Firstly, thank you for providing your advice - E.I. is a complex beast and the people who give their time to those of us who need an outside perspective are just amazing people.

Here's my situation. I know you guys aren't oracles but I'm shaking in my boots and don't know where else to turn.

I was terminated without cause by my employer. My termination was not performance-related and the reason I was given for my termination was because I was not a good fit for the organisation. To be fair, I was a mediocre-to-shitty employee, lots of medical issues which resulted in excessive absenteeism. My former employer provided me with pay in lieu of notice and a severance payment. My former employer used the code for shortage of work on my ROE rather than the code for dismissal. They also only listed my pay in lieu of notice on my ROE and didn't mention the severance payment anywhere at all. When applying for EI I disclosed that I had a severance payment pending. My EI claim is still under review. I didn't know how to properly disclose my severance payment on the bi-weekly report form so I called the EI Telephone Reporting Service and spoke with a rep who seemed quite confused as to why I was asking about disclosing a severance payment at all.

I'm contemplating sending EI all documentation from my termination. Should I? And if I do, can my employer turn around and allege cause for termination? Are there precedents for this kind of situation? I don't know how to proceed, I just want the security of knowing I can make rent for Feb.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1465 posts
449 upvotes
ohnoohman wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 6:53 pm
Hey folks!

Firstly, thank you for providing your advice - E.I. is a complex beast and the people who give their time to those of us who need an outside perspective are just amazing people.

Here's my situation. I know you guys aren't oracles but I'm shaking in my boots and don't know where else to turn.

I was terminated without cause by my employer. My termination was not performance-related and the reason I was given for my termination was because I was not a good fit for the organisation. To be fair, I was a mediocre-to-shitty employee, lots of medical issues which resulted in excessive absenteeism. My former employer provided me with pay in lieu of notice and a severance payment. My former employer used the code for shortage of work on my ROE rather than the code for dismissal. They also only listed my pay in lieu of notice on my ROE and didn't mention the severance payment anywhere at all. When applying for EI I disclosed that I had a severance payment pending. My EI claim is still under review. I didn't know how to properly disclose my severance payment on the bi-weekly report form so I called the EI Telephone Reporting Service and spoke with a rep who seemed quite confused as to why I was asking about disclosing a severance payment at all.

I'm contemplating sending EI all documentation from my termination. Should I? And if I do, can my employer turn around and allege cause for termination? Are there precedents for this kind of situation? I don't know how to proceed, I just want the security of knowing I can make rent for Feb.
The agent you spoke with was probably confused because you are reporting severance payments that weren’t identified on the ROE. Your employer would likely have to send in an amended ROE if you wanted to go this route.

Employers are supposed to accurately indicate the reason for dismissal but sometimes it’s just easier for them to put shortage of work because they don’t care if you get benefits (they’ve already been paying into it) and it’s more hassle for them to answer questions about you being dismissed (they would likely do this if you were terminated with cause or there were some personal issues and they wanted to make sure you didn’t get benefits).

In your case it seems they acknowledged you were a shitty employee (your words not mine lol) but didn’t have any ill will towards you and probably filled in your ROE in this way so you’d be approved for EI while you seek employment elsewhere.

You have two choices, go with the flow and agree with what’s on the ROE (even though it’s not true, you would be approved for benefits) or ‘tell the truth’ and have EI investigate further which would likely mean that your employer would have to submit an amended ROE which would further delay your claim. If you were terminated without cause you would likely be eligible for benefits anyways.

I can’t tell you what to do but good luck nonetheless!
Nov 24, 2017
3 posts
I left my job to care for my son.

I moved out of Toronto over a year ago and have a 75 minute commute everyday. My mom picks up my son from daycare and brings him home in the evenings along with my in laws who also help out. My mom work shift changed to 3-11 which makes her unable to get my son and my in laws are leaving for Portugal for 4 months. My husband works construction and is all over the GTA his schedule is unpredictable which makes him an unreliable resource.

My son is still at the same daycare centre although I’m no longer working to keep his spot while I look for work. What would be ideal is a closer job that makes it easy for me to get him after work.

I have been waiting since Nov 3rd for a response from EI they have my ROE and my reports are up to date.

Is my claim approvable ? I’m supposed to know sometime this week but the wait is killing me. I truly feel I had no other choice. From the time my mom was notified of her schedule change I had been looking hard for a new job, and even before then. But it is hard looking for a job while at work and the little time I have at home.
Nov 24, 2017
3 posts
I left my job 3 weeks ago to care for my son, I need advice if my situation qualifies for ei. I have been waiting awhile for a response and just wanted some feedback from personal experience / knowledge.

I been working there for 18 months and 4 months in I moved from Toronto to Bradford. It’s a 75 minute commute one way, my mother and mil have been helping to pick up and drop off my son at daycare because of my long hours 9-6 and commute make it impossible for me to get to the centre on time . I have been looking for a job nearby but it’s hard because I don’t have much time, and have been looking harder when my mom found out her shift was changing and in laws going to Portugal for a few months.

My husband works construction so he could be anywhere in the GTA and sometimes works 10 hour days which make him an unreliable pick up option for our child.

I feel like I exhausted all my options. My son is still in daycare part time to keep his spot, in actively looking for employment near to his daycare so I can pick him up and drop him myself .
Dec 3, 2013
29 posts
6 upvotes
One week waiting period...help!

I have not been called into work for 7 consecutive days now. Does that mean I can now open and EI claim and do those 7 days count as the "one week waiting period" ?

Or do I have to wait another 7 days without working again to be entitled to start getting money's ?

Thank you everyone for your time
Nov 26, 2017
3 posts
Wondering80 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 12:57 pm
I renewed and old claim and it turns out when the system reaches 50 weeks it shuts the claim down automatically. It then takes 1-28 days for them to switch to regular benefits and start the payments again.
So did your claim start up again since youve reached 50 weeks? Does it become a new claim then? You just had to call in and have them reinstate your benefits? Did they ask about anything else?
Nov 26, 2017
1 posts
I have an important concern that I need help with. I have had 2 jobs in the past 52 weeks. When I was let go from my PREVIOUS job in February, I got a severance of 30 weeks. When I was let go from my CURRENT job a few days ago, I was given a severance of 9 weeks. I am aware that the starting week of my E.I. benefit. is delayed according to the amount of severance weeks given. So my question is would the payment of my E.I. benefits be delayed according to the severance I received from my CURRENT job only (9 weeks) or would it be delayed a total of 39 weeks (a total between my previous job's severance and my current job's severance)?
Nov 3, 2017
7 posts
MatteM478432 wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 11:37 am
So did your claim start up again since youve reached 50 weeks? Does it become a new claim then? You just had to call in and have them reinstate your benefits? Did they ask about anything else?
Yes my claim started again.....in my case once the system sees 50 weeks it will not let me report online. I have to fill out the paper report and mail it in, huge PITA. The paper one does not ask about leaving canada either, so I don't know if I am supposed to let them know and how. When I received the paper report I phoned in to see if I could start reporting online again and that's when I was told that the system would not allow it. I also asked about reporting leaves from Canada and the lady said that she hadn't seen the paper reports in a long time and thought that it did ask if you've left Canada (which they don't).
Mine claim started as a parental in 2016 then when I took compassionate care in February 2017 it switched over. When the claim is switched from parental to compassionate care it started a new claim. I reactivated an old claim when I was let go without cause in March. I think the reactivated claim was the parental (2016) one and then it switched, I'm not really sure whats going on.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)