• Dec 16th, 2017 2:33 am
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7820 posts
1255 upvotes
Edmonton
alzubaid wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 1:04 pm
I have an important concern that I need help with. I have had 2 jobs in the past 52 weeks. When I was let go from my PREVIOUS job in February, I got a severance of 30 weeks. When I was let go from my CURRENT job a few days ago, I was given a severance of 9 weeks. I am aware that the starting week of my E.I. benefit. is delayed according to the amount of severance weeks given. So my question is would the payment of my E.I. benefits be delayed according to the severance I received from my CURRENT job only (9 weeks) or would it be delayed a total of 39 weeks (a total between my previous job's severance and my current job's severance)?
Both
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7820 posts
1255 upvotes
Edmonton
Ashbc86 wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 4:26 pm
I left my job to care for my son.

I moved out of Toronto over a year ago and have a 75 minute commute everyday. My mom picks up my son from daycare and brings him home in the evenings along with my in laws who also help out. My mom work shift changed to 3-11 which makes her unable to get my son and my in laws are leaving for Portugal for 4 months. My husband works construction and is all over the GTA his schedule is unpredictable which makes him an unreliable resource.

My son is still at the same daycare centre although I’m no longer working to keep his spot while I look for work. What would be ideal is a closer job that makes it easy for me to get him after work.

I have been waiting since Nov 3rd for a response from EI they have my ROE and my reports are up to date.

Is my claim approvable ? I’m supposed to know sometime this week but the wait is killing me. I truly feel I had no other choice. From the time my mom was notified of her schedule change I had been looking hard for a new job, and even before then. But it is hard looking for a job while at work and the little time I have at home.
You likely have just cause for quitting but your availability may be an issue
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7820 posts
1255 upvotes
Edmonton
trextr wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 1:20 pm
One week waiting period...help!

I have not been called into work for 7 consecutive days now. Does that mean I can now open and EI claim and do those 7 days count as the "one week waiting period" ?

Or do I have to wait another 7 days without working again to be entitled to start getting money's ?

Thank you everyone for your time
Yes
Yes
No
Nov 24, 2017
3 posts
I have open availability as my son is still in daycare. I kept him in daycare so that it will be easy to accept new employment
Nov 26, 2017
3 posts
Hoping someone can help me determine how much longer my claim will last.

Total weeks of Regular Entitlement: 57

Weeks of Regular Benefits Paid: 36

Weeks of Sickness Benefits: 14

Total Weeks Paid: 50

This is listed underneath on the site:

"You will stop receiving benefits once one of the following 2 conditions has occurred:

All the weeks of benefits to which you were entitled to have been paid. This occurs when the number of weeks displayed in the "Weeks of Regular Benefits Paid" row is equal to the number of weeks displayed in the "Total Weeks of Regular Entitlement". "

According to that I believe I have 21 weeks. I was told I have 12 by an agent today. Im extremely confused.

Can someone clarify?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7820 posts
1255 upvotes
Edmonton
MatteM478432 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 1:54 pm
Hoping someone can help me determine how much longer my claim will last.

Total weeks of Regular Entitlement: 57

Weeks of Regular Benefits Paid: 36

Weeks of Sickness Benefits: 14

Total Weeks Paid: 50

This is listed underneath on the site:

"You will stop receiving benefits once one of the following 2 conditions has occurred:

All the weeks of benefits to which you were entitled to have been paid. This occurs when the number of weeks displayed in the "Weeks of Regular Benefits Paid" row is equal to the number of weeks displayed in the "Total Weeks of Regular Entitlement". "

According to that I believe I have 21 weeks. I was told I have 12 by an agent today. Im extremely confused.

Can someone clarify?
You've received 50 weeks of combined sick and regular so your claim is done.
Nov 26, 2017
3 posts
I was told the system couldnt process internet reports after 50, and they are mailing me paper reports for the remaining 12 weeks I have.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7820 posts
1255 upvotes
Edmonton
MatteM478432 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 3:09 pm
I was told the system couldnt process internet reports after 50, and they are mailing me paper reports for the remaining 12 weeks I have.
I'm not sure where they're getting the 12 week figure from....Unless there's some sort of pilot project or temporary measure in place you're capped at 50 weeks when you combine regular benefits and any special benefits.
Nov 28, 2017
2 posts
Hi guys, could someone please guide/enlighten me in my situation. Thanks in advance.

I already started to receive my EI payments and two days ago I received my termination pension package from PSPP with my options:
Option A - leave money in the plan (Deferred pension)
Option B - 1 - transfer benefit in the amount of xxx which is within the Income Tax regulations limit to RRSP and get the rest $$$ in cash lump sum;
2 - receive full amount $$$ in cash lump sum.

Now my understanding is that option B-2 is not going to work as I will loose a lot of money in taxes (30%) plus it will significantly affect my EI. Option B-1 is more acceptable as the main amount will be transferred to RRSP (not LIRA - it is not locked) which is not going to affect EI at all, then from the cash lump sum PSPP will withhold tax (20%) and the rest I will have to declare to Service Canada and it will affect my EI slightly as the amount (approx $6000) will still have to be divided by 2 as it was 50% my contribution (not considered as earning) and 50% my employer's.
Please correct me If my findings/assumptions are wrong.

Then I called PSPP and it looks like there is one more good option (A) - they said that package is valid for 1 year which means I can leave everything on pension plan and in a year (when I hope I will be with a job already) make my decision about the options above. That sound as the best option since I do not need to touch money now which means no affect on EI whatsoever and at the same time I am afraid that I am missing smth which could lead to issues which I do not want to have at all.

Thank you all in advance for your input in my situation.
Nov 28, 2017
2 posts
I left a job in government in October to take a job in a private business and was informed the other day that I will be laid off, with an offer to allow me to work for four weeks. I've never been in such a situation and was so distraught and felt so awkward returning to such a small office where my morale and ability to sell the product would be completely diminished, that in a moment of pure emotion I declined to come back following being informed of my layoff.
Have I destroyed any chance I had at an EI claim?
I realize this is an immature approach to a layoff, not my finest hour...
Oct 30, 2017
18 posts
10 upvotes
I'm sorry for not doing more research before asking this question but I have a job working as a temp for Canada Post but I almost always only get called in for 1 or 2 part time shifts a week. So roughly around 10-12 hours a week. It has been eating up my savings for a bit now and I was told maybe EI could help me. Is that a situation where EI could be applied for?

Thanks very much
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7820 posts
1255 upvotes
Edmonton
Babbar86 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 6:57 pm
I left a job in government in October to take a job in a private business and was informed the other day that I will be laid off, with an offer to allow me to work for four weeks. I've never been in such a situation and was so distraught and felt so awkward returning to such a small office where my morale and ability to sell the product would be completely diminished, that in a moment of pure emotion I declined to come back following being informed of my layoff.
Have I destroyed any chance I had at an EI claim?
I realize this is an immature approach to a layoff, not my finest hour...
You should be ok since you were going to be laid off anyways
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7820 posts
1255 upvotes
Edmonton
CompulsiveShopper wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 10:37 pm
I'm sorry for not doing more research before asking this question but I have a job working as a temp for Canada Post but I almost always only get called in for 1 or 2 part time shifts a week. So roughly around 10-12 hours a week. It has been eating up my savings for a bit now and I was told maybe EI could help me. Is that a situation where EI could be applied for?

Thanks very much
You can apply if you have a period of 7 consecutive days with no work and no earnings
Dec 6, 2008
204 posts
39 upvotes
"You can apply if you have a period of 7 consecutive days with no work and no earnings"

This is not true unless the policy is location dependent (I guess EI is federal so shouldn't). Anyways, I'm in Alberta and on reduced hours like most companies these days. When I enquired, I was told that unless the employer issues a record of employment you cannot claim EI. If the employer calls you even for 1 or 2 hours a week, he is considered still trying his best to avoid layoff and find work for the employee. If we can apply for EI when we have no pay for 7 consecutive days, then please post a link or something that endorses this statement.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7820 posts
1255 upvotes
Edmonton
itemsale2003 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 12:04 am
"You can apply if you have a period of 7 consecutive days with no work and no earnings"

This is not true unless the policy is location dependent (I guess EI is federal so shouldn't). Anyways, I'm in Alberta and on reduced hours like most companies these days. When I enquired, I was told that unless the employer issues a record of employment you cannot claim EI. If the employer calls you even for 1 or 2 hours a week, he is considered still trying his best to avoid layoff and find work for the employee. If we can apply for EI when we have no pay for 7 consecutive days, then please post a link or something that endorses this statement.
Ok it's not true then. Your ROE is the magical key to applying for EI.

Magical unlock code 1

Magical unlock code 2