• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2017 2:33 am
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1465 posts
449 upvotes
itemsale2003 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 12:04 am
"You can apply if you have a period of 7 consecutive days with no work and no earnings"

This is not true unless the policy is location dependent (I guess EI is federal so shouldn't). Anyways, I'm in Alberta and on reduced hours like most companies these days. When I enquired, I was told that unless the employer issues a record of employment you cannot claim EI. If the employer calls you even for 1 or 2 hours a week, he is considered still trying his best to avoid layoff and find work for the employee. If we can apply for EI when we have no pay for 7 consecutive days, then please post a link or something that endorses this statement.
Completely untrue.

Guys, if you don’t actually know the answer to something please keep it to yourself.

Understandably, this is create a lot of confusion for people.
Dec 2, 2017
4 posts
Hello im waiting on my claim since Nov 2nd. i had quit a job at wendys in february to work at the job i had been laid off from for the season. i have more then enough hours from the previous employeer im just wondering if the wendys job is going to interupt my claim from me getting any benefits?
Dec 2, 2017
4 posts
hello i had quit a job in february then the job i have now is seasonal so they get laid off for the winter. will the job i quite in february ruin my chances of receiving benefits ? i have may more then enough hours from my previous employeer.
Dec 25, 2007
8 posts
Am I qualify for EI if I voluntary quit Job to start self-employee or business?

One month ago, I voluntary quit my job to start a self-employee business career as a realtor( need to finish last two course to get final license in 2018). When I checked Gov. of Canada website, under " just case"- List of 40 Main Circumstances to Take Into Consideration, there has one reason that "27. To start a business or to become self-employed in a near future" link provided below:

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soc ... tml#a6_8_1

Dose anyone have experience of apply for this kind of EI ? Am I qualify to apply for regular EI base on my current situation?
Thanks in advance.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1465 posts
449 upvotes
youngdreamsz wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 8:07 pm
hello i had quit a job in february then the job i have now is seasonal so they get laid off for the winter. will the job i quite in february ruin my chances of receiving benefits ? i have may more then enough hours from my previous employeer.
If you worked full time or close enough from February to now, you should have more than enough hours.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1465 posts
449 upvotes
matix33 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 2:20 am
Am I qualify for EI if I voluntary quit Job to start self-employee or business?

One month ago, I voluntary quit my job to start a self-employee business career as a realtor( need to finish last two course to get final license in 2018). When I checked Gov. of Canada website, under " just case"- List of 40 Main Circumstances to Take Into Consideration, there has one reason that "27. To start a business or to become self-employed in a near future" link provided below:

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soc ... tml#a6_8_1

Dose anyone have experience of apply for this kind of EI ? Am I qualify to apply for regular EI base on my current situation?
Thanks in advance.
Right but then it also states:

genuine promise of other employment in the immediate future;

not obtained for reasons beyond the person's control;

You did not quit your job for other employment you quit to finish your courses. You did not have another job lined up and we’re aware you would be out of work.

You may be disqualified for this reason as you created your own separation from employment.

There’s not harm in applying though. It literally takes less than 10 minutes. Good luck.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1465 posts
449 upvotes
youngdreamsz wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 8:20 am
okay but quiting that job in february wont inturupt me from receiving benefits then?
Depending on the reason for quitting they may disqualify those hours meaning they won’t count towards your claim being approved.

But if you earned enough hours with the most recent job then it won’t matter anyways.
Sep 29, 2011
1 posts
My last EI file from 2015 paid me bi-weekly but the recent one pays it weekly. Did anything change in the program?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1465 posts
449 upvotes
dimasok wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 9:53 am
My last EI file from 2015 paid me bi-weekly but the recent one pays it weekly. Did anything change in the program?
No. If you’re be only received 2 paychecks the first one could have been in the middle of a cycle.
Dec 4, 2017
3 posts
I am wondering if someone can answer a question. I was on regular UI benefits for 38 weeks and they have now ended. During the last few weeks I have been undergoing some medical issues and tests and may not be able to return to work even if I could find a job. If I have used my weeks on regular ui benefits would I be entitled to any type of UI sick benefits? I have been on ui since February 2017.
Oct 15, 2010
27 posts
1 upvote
Waterdown
Hi,

My wife is expecting a baby soon and will be taking the full maternity/parental leave. She earns around $25,000/year. We would like her to take the full 18 months off with the baby if possible, and her employer is fine with that. She does not have a top-up through work.

It it more advantageous for her to take the 12 month option @ 55% of her salary (with 6 months unpaid), or 18 months @ 33% spread over that whole period?

I called EI to ask about if she took some time in between 12-18 months. i.e. if she took 16 months off, how would that be paid out? They responded that it's an either/or - you can only do either 12 or 18. It's not like it's a different percentage in between that. The rep said that something like 16 months would be paid at 33% which seems odd. Anyone else dealing with that situation?

So is it as simple as 55% x $25,000 = $13,750 for the 12 month option and 33% x ($25,000 x 1.5) = $12,375 for the 18 month option? (I recognize that this is a rough calculation and that it will be actually best on her "best weeks" over the past year)
Are we better off doing 12 months @ 55% with 6 months unpaid, and saving more of that upfront to get us through the unpaid months?

Thanks,

- D
May 9, 2006
310 posts
44 upvotes
Mississauga
very good question, I would love to know the answer to your question as well. someone I know asked me the same but I had no answer, I am sure we have experts on RFD that can get us the help.
Dec 2, 2017
4 posts
im on week 5 of waiting for approval. if im approved will i get a deposit asap or will it come out on the next regular deposit date?
thank you.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)