Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2017 1:13 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2057 posts
644 upvotes
If you're set on taking 18 months, look at things from a tax perspective. Child benefit is paid on the previous year's earning, for example. So taking a lower amount for longer could be better there.

I would suggest doing 12 months because you have flexibility. 18 months is, to me, kind've "meh". Daycare at 1 year is fine, no daycare so being off for 3-4 years til school is fine, but 18 months doesn't get you anything.

If the company is ok with 12 or 18, I'd say to them: We're taking 12 months EI, we'll let you know in ~9 months if we'll return to work at 12 months or 14 or 18 or whatever. Your wife may be climbing the walls after 12 months (especially the last two or three of that!!).
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1465 posts
449 upvotes
youngdreamsz wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 11:56 am
im on week 5 of waiting for approval. if im approved will i get a deposit asap or will it come out on the next regular deposit date?
thank you.
Within a couple of days of approval. They’re probably taking longer as someone has to made a decision on the job you quit.

You should contact the call Centre to start the escalation process as you’re beyond the 28 day processing time frame.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3608 posts
1436 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Financially it seems taking the 12 months (55%) works out better, and just take the next 6 months unpaid. You could always be sticking some into savings if it feels better to spread it more evenly through the 18 months. It seems her monthly net income would come to about $1100 after tax. You could set aside about $365 per month during the 12 months (leaving $735). Then during the unpaid months you would have enough saved to release $735 per month and "equalize" the payments for the 18 months.
Dec 4, 2017
3 posts
I cant find my post.

I have been on regular UI benefits for 38 weeks and its now ended. I have been recently going through a medical crises and may not be able to return to work. Would I be eligible for UI medical benefits?
Dec 4, 2017
2 posts
Hi there, I screwed up my last report for ei. I left a message for the case manager informing her right away I screwed it up but the money was sent anyways. I went on ei cause I work in the mining industry and during winter season we slow down. Had a period of only working 5 days/10 then 2 weeks of no work at all. I recently started getting work again. There was a bunch of technical issues happening when I tried to file report online. I eventually got through and instead of reporting that I had worked 7/10 days I accidentally choose I hadn't worked at all. I left a message right away like I said to the case manager. I received the money anyways. What do I do?
Sep 24, 2006
546 posts
37 upvotes
Guelph, On
Question... I am filing my reports - getting zero benefits because I am working full time because my work is busy. I did go out to Detroit for a concert on Oct 31, filled my report that I went out and because my work is busy I didn't get any money from EI. But I got this message
2017-11-13–Under Review
Questionnaire Received
We received the Out of Canada questionnaire you submitted on November-13-17. We will consider this information as we continue to review your application for benefits. We will let you know when a final decision is made.

Note: Our Service Canada Centres do not have additional information on this issue or on your claim at this time
Dec 4, 2017
2 posts
Can't find my post. I screwed up on my ei report. I tried to say I have worked in past two weeks instead of have not. I have been sent money to cover those weeks. I called and left message for case manager right away after it happened but money got sent to me anyways. What do I do?
Jul 24, 2009
598 posts
390 upvotes
kitchener
clseea wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 11:16 pm
No. You can't double dip.. There are deductions
Not sure if i would call it double dipping, but i know there were some pilot projects last year where you could make certain small amount and keep it without deduction.
Of course if that has changed now, there's no point in doing so.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8864 posts
2398 upvotes
Calgary
ColtonP45 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 2:49 pm
Can't find my post. I screwed up on my ei report. I tried to say I have worked in past two weeks instead of have not. I have been sent money to cover those weeks. I called and left message for case manager right away after it happened but money got sent to me anyways. What do I do?
This is not welfare; there is no case manager. Once an adjudicator worked on a file, it's passed on to the system

If you can't reach anyone in the call center, drop by the local SC Centre to correct the error. They will make note to file and someone else will adjust your payment.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8864 posts
2398 upvotes
Calgary
dimasok wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 9:53 am
My last EI file from 2015 paid me bi-weekly but the recent one pays it weekly. Did anything change in the program?
First several payments may be weekly but it will revert to biweekly soon after.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8864 posts
2398 upvotes
Calgary
KBennett2 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 9:20 am
I am wondering if someone can answer a question. I was on regular UI benefits for 38 weeks and they have now ended. During the last few weeks I have been undergoing some medical issues and tests and may not be able to return to work even if I could find a job. If I have used my weeks on regular ui benefits would I be entitled to any type of UI sick benefits? I have been on ui since February 2017.
With proper medical documentation, you can get up to 15 weeks of sickness benefits
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2003
2814 posts
13 upvotes
maternity leave (first 15 weeks) is the same benefit of 55% for either the 12 month or 18 month option. This is for claims starting after dec3,2017.
The following 35 weeks for 12month option are still at 55%, or at 33% for 61 weeks for 18 month option. I believe this is why your math makes the 12 month option look more attractive, but it works to be same.
Nov 13, 2013
760 posts
255 upvotes
OTTAWA
The only question is taxes. But especially with the child benefit this can be very complicated. Your income will be a factor. In a basic way you could use a tax calculator to see what impact it has.

Keep in mind she could also change her mind. In either direction. That is want to take more than 18 months off or decide to go back at 12 months.
Dec 5, 2017
3 posts
Hi, any help I can receive on my question/situation would be most appreciated!

I worked at the same job for just over 4 years. I suffered a car accident in January, which left me disabled and unable to work. During this period I received payments from my car insurance company.

I was then terminated from my position (while still on disability leave) and received a 3 month severance package which began in mid-April. On my roe it states “terminated without cause”. I am now in the midst of a human rights complaint, which is heading to mediation in March of 2018.

I was not aware that I could apply for EI after being fired nor was I aware that I could qualify if I was in the midst of a human rights complaint. After consulting with another lawyer, it seems I can qualify for EI.

My question is, is it too late to apply and is there anything I can do to perhaps be granted EI on a special basis? Or perhaps appeal if I am denied?

Again, any help would be much appreciated.
Aug 10, 2006
622 posts
194 upvotes
just my 2 cents.. EI is taxable benefits plus being out of the workplace. a lot can change in the workplace being away for 12 or 18 months imo. even though there is no benefit payout difference from 12 or 18 months, it's time which could be different pros or cons for people..

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)