[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9659 posts
3443 upvotes
Calgary
AMXZaku wrote:
Sep 24th, 2012 11:32 pm
I have 2 jobs A and B.
A pays me 2000$ gross biweekly. I've worked 1000 hours for job A.
B pays me 400$ gross biweekly. I've worked 450 hours for job B.
I have shortage of work with job A right now and I am applying for EI.

What can I expect?
So you're still with job B? You have to request ROE from job B as well. Reason for separation for this ROE should state K - Other, and in the comment section should specify that you're still employed and this ROe is issued at your request.

In turns of maximum EI benefit, your situation is pretty ideal. You will get max EI benefit rate, and you'll continue to have a part time job that adds to your total earnings.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9659 posts
3443 upvotes
Calgary
ryuzaki wrote:
Sep 24th, 2012 11:37 pm
First year working held 2 jobs in the past 52 weeks. Is it true i need 910 hours and not the hours required by regional rate. Really sad because i asked for layoff so i could mooch off the government, if i knew any better i would have worked the 2 extra weeks for hours.
lol.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9659 posts
3443 upvotes
Calgary
lizbeth1 wrote:
Sep 24th, 2012 11:47 pm
Thanks very much for all your information! I was approved for Sick Benefits - 15 weeks. My claim ends this year December 29/12. Thing is 3 weeks into my sick benefits and I am feeling better. I was told to call into the call center to switch my benefits to regular ( i should mention I had to reopen an exisiting ei claim that i had already received 21 weeks paid regular benefits but then i found a job in june that lasted 2 months and ihad to leaved due to the stress it was causing me as shown with my doctor's note). I understand that as i'm feeling better i can switch to regular benefits - also in the event i get part time employment i won't be deducted dollar for dollar if i stay on sick benefits. Today i called the call center to switch over and they tell me i need to get approved now for the regular benefits. I thought i was already approved for sick AND regular benefits since it was reopening an existing claim. Thing is i got cut off while i was waiting for a decision to be made on my claim...now i'm stressing out again worrying if my claim for regular benefits is going to be denied! I will call back in the morning but wanted your opinion. Also, i was told regardless if i got the 15 weeks of sick benefits, my claim will end on decembe 29....but aren't the sick benefits added to the regular benefits i would have received?? In which case won't my claim extend into 2013??? I don't understand?? should i just stay on sick benefits?? Please advise...thanks so much!
Well, since you quit the most recent employment, an adjudicator will decide whether you have just cause. If you do, you get regular benefits. It doesn't matter if it's a new or existing claim; if there is a contentious issues in your claim, it will be reviewed. This time, you were approved for sickness benefits only. No decision was made regarding regular benefit as you didn't apply for it.

Since you reactivated your existing claim, my guess it started January 1 of this year. You have 52 weeks to collect the benefits. You can combine regular benefit with any other type of benefit (sickness, parental, maternal) for up to 50 weeks. Your sickness benefit does not extend the benefit period.

In hind sight you should have stayed in sickness benefits for now, but based on the information provided, you do have good chance of getting regular benefits approved. It may take a while and you'll be cut off in the mean time, unfortunately.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8478 posts
1473 upvotes
Edmonton
ryuzaki wrote:
Sep 24th, 2012 11:37 pm
First year working held 2 jobs in the past 52 weeks. Is it true i need 910 hours and not the hours required by regional rate. Really sad because i asked for layoff so i could mooch off the government, if i knew any better i would have worked the 2 extra weeks for hours.

If you're under 910 for the past 52 weeks, you need to have at least 420 in those 52 weeks plus 490 or more in the 52 weeks before that.

That being said, you can't ask for a layoff and expect to qualify for benefits. You're volunteering to stop working, why would you qualify? That'd be like someone retiring and expecting to collect EI.
Sep 24, 2012
2 posts
Toronto
Hi OP,

I stumbled upon this great thread on google and decided to sign up for an account to ask you a question.

I have been in the workforce for over 7 years. In July 2012 i had left my previous role which I held for 3 years at a company that was much closer to my home. Reason for the leave was a promotion. The new company I work for is a lot further away, costing me almost $800 a month in highway fees and gas. If i avoid the tolls, I would require to drive 401 which will kill 4 hrs of my day which I need to study for part time schooling i am doing.

I am currently in debt due to schooling and after travel costs & rent, I am not netting a lot of money. Stack with the fact that I have educational fees to pay for. I am currently contemplating quitting and collecting EI while I look for more suitable work (EI would in fact pay me more net than i do now) that is closer to home

Do you think i would be qualified?

Thanks!
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9659 posts
3443 upvotes
Calgary
presidentschoice83 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2012 11:54 am
Hi OP,

I stumbled upon this great thread on google and decided to sign up for an account to ask you a question.

I have been in the workforce for over 7 years. In July 2012 i had left my previous role which I held for 3 years at a company that was much closer to my home. Reason for the leave was a promotion. The new company I work for is a lot further away, costing me almost $800 a month in highway fees and gas. If i avoid the tolls, I would require to drive 401 which will kill 4 hrs of my day which I need to study for part time schooling i am doing.

I am currently in debt due to schooling and after travel costs & rent, I am not netting a lot of money. Stack with the fact that I have educational fees to pay for. I am currently contemplating quitting and collecting EI while I look for more suitable work (EI would in fact pay me more net than i do now) that is closer to home

Do you think i would be qualified?

Thanks!
Unfortunately, you voluntarily chose a job that required long commute. It's one thing the company relocates to cause excessively long commute, it's another to pick this job by your own will. Jurisprudence (http://srv130.services.gc.ca/indexjuris ... oo%20great) has long established that it's one's responsibility to commute to one's job. Why don't you look for another job closer to home prior to quitting?
Sep 24, 2012
2 posts
Toronto
b166er1337 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2012 12:43 pm
Unfortunately, you voluntarily chose a job that required long commute. It's one thing the company relocates to cause excessively long commute, it's another to pick this job by your own will. Jurisprudence (http://srv130.services.gc.ca/indexjuris ... oo%20great) has long established that it's one's responsibility to commute to one's job. Why don't you look for another job closer to home prior to quitting?
I could do that, but for me to actively look for work closer to home, I would need to take substantial time away from the office
Aug 25, 2012
25 posts
Pickering
Thanks for the info. I called the call center and they indicated they wanted to see a note from my doctor stating i can return to work before they change me to regular benefits as the doctors note showed an indefinate time period i would be off or tbd. Thing is i can't see my doctor until next week as he is fully booked. I worked 5 hrs yesterday and due to the fact they won't change me to regular benefits until they get the info from my doctor, i assume i will be deducted dollar for dollar until i am switched to regular benefits. I declined further work for now until such time as i am changed to regular benefits, i don't feel it is worth it, except for the fact i am accumulating more ei hours and potential to finding employment. i think the system makes it hard to work and I want to but at the same time all i want is to be changed to regular benefits so i can work again and not get deducted dollar for dollar. Then i'm told there may be an interruption in my benefits while they process my claim to change to regular benefits. Early December my sick benefits end while i would otherwise be covered under regular benefits till Dec 29. So am feeling a bit confused as to whether to change my benefits at this time or let the sick benefits run out til early december and then apply for regular...only drawback is the deduction dollar for dollar i would be paying if i work. Had I known this hassle, i would have just applied for the regular benefits and be done with it....i honestly don't see the purpose of having been approved for the sick benefits in the first place if regardless my claim ends December 29!!....what do you recommend? :

1. stay on sick benefits and not work til early december?
2. stay on sick benefits and work as it is available and get deducted dollar for dollar, yet accumulate ei hours and potential to find employment
3. get note from doctor when i see him next week (assuming he approves) that i am able to resume working and indicate effective from yesterday (September 24/12).....can they then go back and make a retroactive adjustment and compensate me for the dollar for dollar they deduct from my ei for the hours i worked this week?
4. close my enquiry regarding changing to regular benefits and just wait til my sick benefits run out and then apply for regular benefits???
5. What happends if they don't approve the switch to regular benefits (which i don't believe i won't as have just cause from 3 angles so understand...illlness, misrepresentatiion of workload (excessive) and work hours (excessive and not paid o/t)...I am making a compalint with the labourboard as well for the ill practices of this employer as well. Was told to go in person to service canada and ask them to manually update my claim...otherwise it could potentially take 21 days for them to approve!

So simple...yet so complicated! Hopefully i can get f/t employment and avoid all this hassle!!! Thanks again for your attention and really appreciate your advice?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8478 posts
1473 upvotes
Edmonton
lizbeth1 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2012 2:07 pm
Thanks for the info. I called the call center and they indicated they wanted to see a note from my doctor stating i can return to work before they change me to regular benefits as the doctors note showed an indefinate time period i would be off or tbd. Thing is i can't see my doctor until next week as he is fully booked. I worked 5 hrs yesterday and due to the fact they won't change me to regular benefits until they get the info from my doctor, i assume i will be deducted dollar for dollar until i am switched to regular benefits. I declined further work for now until such time as i am changed to regular benefits, i don't feel it is worth it, except for the fact i am accumulating more ei hours and potential to finding employment. i think the system makes it hard to work and I want to but at the same time all i want is to be changed to regular benefits so i can work again and not get deducted dollar for dollar. Then i'm told there may be an interruption in my benefits while they process my claim to change to regular benefits. Early December my sick benefits end while i would otherwise be covered under regular benefits till Dec 29. So am feeling a bit confused as to whether to change my benefits at this time or let the sick benefits run out til early december and then apply for regular...only drawback is the deduction dollar for dollar i would be paying if i work. Had I known this hassle, i would have just applied for the regular benefits and be done with it....i honestly don't see the purpose of having been approved for the sick benefits in the first place if regardless my claim ends December 29!!....what do you recommend? :

1. stay on sick benefits and not work til early december?
2. stay on sick benefits and work as it is available and get deducted dollar for dollar, yet accumulate ei hours and potential to find employment
3. get note from doctor when i see him next week (assuming he approves) that i am able to resume working and indicate effective from yesterday (September 24/12).....can they then go back and make a retroactive adjustment and compensate me for the dollar for dollar they deduct from my ei for the hours i worked this week?
4. close my enquiry regarding changing to regular benefits and just wait til my sick benefits run out and then apply for regular benefits???
5. What happends if they don't approve the switch to regular benefits (which i don't believe i won't as have just cause from 3 angles so understand...illlness, misrepresentatiion of workload (excessive) and work hours (excessive and not paid o/t)...I am making a compalint with the labourboard as well for the ill practices of this employer as well. Was told to go in person to service canada and ask them to manually update my claim...otherwise it could potentially take 21 days for them to approve!

So simple...yet so complicated! Hopefully i can get f/t employment and avoid all this hassle!!! Thanks again for your attention and really appreciate your advice?
I'd get a note from your doctor stating you're available to work effective Sept 24th. Your EI should be adjusted to show this so you wouldn't be deducted dollar for dollar starting this week. As long as your doctor shows you're able to work Sept 24th instead of being sick indefinitely, you shouldn't have an issue.

Going in person to Service Canada won't really help you. The front counter agents don't have the authority to change the claim from sick to regular. Since you called in to have the claim converted, it now sits in a queue waiting to be completed. It should be quicker than 21 days, but it MIGHT take that long.
Aug 25, 2012
25 posts
Pickering
clseea wrote:
Sep 25th, 2012 3:28 pm
I'd get a note from your doctor stating you're available to work effective Sept 24th. Your EI should be adjusted to show this so you wouldn't be deducted dollar for dollar starting this week. As long as your doctor shows you're able to work Sept 24th instead of being sick indefinitely, you shouldn't have an issue.

Going in person to Service Canada won't really help you. The front counter agents don't have the authority to change the claim from sick to regular. Since you called in to have the claim converted, it now sits in a queue waiting to be completed. It should be quicker than 21 days, but it MIGHT take that long.
Thanks for your reply...so for the next report i file..for this week of the 24th...shall i inidicate able to work or still sick...i don't have an appt til next week so i should ask him to date the note retroactive to Sept 24? Will EI make the adjustment? if and when they switch me to regular benefits?
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3586 posts
237 upvotes
lizbeth1 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2012 3:53 pm
Thanks for your reply...so for the next report i file..for this week of the 24th...shall i inidicate able to work or still sick...i don't have an appt til next week so i should ask him to date the note retroactive to Sept 24? Will EI make the adjustment? if and when they switch me to regular benefits?
heres the thing with sick benefits, either you're sick and unable to work or you're not. you can't pick and choose based on your employment insurance. See people all the time that have doctors notes saying oh im sick for an indefinite amount of time, and theres no way i can work. Then they hear oh i can only get 15 weeks of sickness? well im better now and can find a job, but i dont have work to go to.

doesn't work like that, u have a doctor write u a note for when he believes u are able to go back to work, and when u are able to go back to work, on your reports, report that you are available for work, if your not able to work and still sick, then report sick. EI will convert the claim based on whenever the doctor says you are able to work.
Sep 24, 2012
2 posts
Winnipeg
I got a quick question, Does EI (service canada) ever contact your employer and ask if there is work available during your time of EI benefits? such has...

Example: If my employer had a 1 hour shift available during the time when I was collecting benefits and I refuse to come in to work for 1 hour, (because its not work my time to drive there and back) Will I ever be in trouble for not taking the shift?
Aug 25, 2012
25 posts
Pickering
Thank you for your reply. I'll wait til i meet with my doctor next week. I had gone to see him last Thursday in the hopes he would have the results of my heart test as i have been having a racing heart and hypertension. He wanted to make sure everything was ok so he had me wear a device for 2 days to check to make sure there were no heart issues. I also went through blood testing. Thing is this...i was / am perhaps? (pending what my dr tells me) legitimately ill...i had severe hypertension due to my job situation and the fact that my ei runs out as well as sick benefits doesn't exactly put me at ease...at the back of my mind i am worried about finding another job...so this doesn't exactly help a person who is legitimately not well and needs to recover from a bad work situation.
I really resent the fact that you are intimating that i am perhaps 'pretending' to be ill....not so...i am just under pressure. So yes., i am actually pushing the fact my health isn't all 100% yet...i also suffer from panic attacks and anxiety and this certainly isn't helping. i will just report i am sick until my doctor tells me otherwise - i need to look after my health and screw the deduction of money...so what if they deduct dollar for dollar...my health is what matters!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8478 posts
1473 upvotes
Edmonton
Hello88 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2012 5:05 pm
I got a quick question, Does EI (service canada) ever contact your employer and ask if there is work available during your time of EI benefits? such has...

Example: If my employer had a 1 hour shift available during the time when I was collecting benefits and I refuse to come in to work for 1 hour, (because its not work my time to drive there and back) Will I ever be in trouble for not taking the shift?
Yes, they might. But I'm pretty sure employment standards wherever you live will probably have something about a shift needing to be at least 3 or 4 hours.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)