• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2018 8:32 am
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1804 posts
607 upvotes
jewelslarosa wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 5:16 am
Question...I am currently on medical EI for sick leave due to go back to work near the end of Jan. My Dr is recommending I leave my job as it's the job that is causing me the stress with how I have been treated. Is there a good chance I could collect regular SO while looking for another job?
I've been employed for 4 years full time before going on medical EI
If you’re quitting your job for medical reasons you’re only eligible for 15 weeks of benefits. If you’ve already used those up you’re out of luck.
Sep 17, 2009
139 posts
17 upvotes
If John quit his job in March 2016 to pursue a full time graduate degree for a year, finished his graduate degree in March 2017, and has yet to find a job as of January 2018 is he eligible for EI?

From the EI website:
Y-were employed in insurable employment;
N-lost your job through no fault of your own;
Y-have been without work and without pay for at least seven consecutive days in the last 52 weeks;
N-have worked for the required number of insurable employment hours in the last 52 weeks or since the start of your last EI claim, whichever is shorter;
Y-are ready, willing and capable of working each day;
Y-are actively looking for work (you must keep a written record of employers you contact, including when you contacted them).
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1804 posts
607 upvotes
cager wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 4:29 pm
If John quit his job in March 2016 to pursue a full time graduate degree for a year, finished his graduate degree in March 2017, and has yet to find a job as of January 2018 is he eligible for EI?

From the EI website:
Y-were employed in insurable employment;
N-lost your job through no fault of your own;
Y-have been without work and without pay for at least seven consecutive days in the last 52 weeks;
N-have worked for the required number of insurable employment hours in the last 52 weeks or since the start of your last EI claim, whichever is shorter;
Y-are ready, willing and capable of working each day;
Y-are actively looking for work (you must keep a written record of employers you contact, including when you contacted them).
John has 0 insurable hours, so, no he is not eligible for benefits (not taking into consideration that he did not have just cause for quitting his job).
Aug 13, 2004
425 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
Hi there!

- Laid off Dec 29, 2017 termination without cause
- Getting 14 weeks of severance pay + 5 weeks of vacation pay (that was earned and unused). The lump sum will be paid Jan 5, 2018
- So basically 19 weeks of pay total (basically as if I'm getting paid until April 6, 2018 from date of lay off).

1) I'm guessing I need to apply for EI immediately (or at latest by end of January). Correct?

2) When would the EI payments kick in assuming I remain unemployed? Would they only kick in after April 6, 2018?

3) How many weeks of EI am I entitled to?

4) I was planning on going on a 2 month vacation with my girlfriend likely (march & april OR april & may) depending on what her work schedule allows. I would of course inform the EI office of my exact travel dates once booked. Does this mean I forgo 2 months of EI, or do they allow me to use those two months when I'm back to actively look for a job?

Thanks so much @b166er1337
Sep 14, 2017
3 posts
how long (week/months) can I be out of canada while on EI? i know i wont be getting ei benefit while out of canada

thanks in advance
Sep 27, 2016
83 posts
125 upvotes
Hello

I just received a letter stating that I have been over paid. My family really needed the money and worked during that time I was receiving benefits. Is there any thing I could tell them that would enable me to use ei in the future? I could now pay back what I was over paid. Desperate times called for desperate measures.
Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8335 posts
1409 upvotes
Edmonton
spf200 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 10:33 pm
how long (week/months) can I be out of canada while on EI? i know i wont be getting ei benefit while out of canada

thanks in advance
As long as you want??
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8335 posts
1409 upvotes
Edmonton
Diggydiggy wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 10:44 pm
Hello

I just received a letter stating that I have been over paid. My family really needed the money and worked during that time I was receiving benefits. Is there any thing I could tell them that would enable me to use ei in the future? I could now pay back what I was over paid. Desperate times called for desperate measures.
Thank you.
You worked and purposely didn't declare earnings...you'll need to pay it back and may face a penalty and/or increased entrance requirements for deliberately lying.

What's your question exactly?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1804 posts
607 upvotes
FJ2067 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 2:21 pm
Hi there!

- Laid off Dec 29, 2017 termination without cause
- Getting 14 weeks of severance pay + 5 weeks of vacation pay (that was earned and unused). The lump sum will be paid Jan 5, 2018
- So basically 19 weeks of pay total (basically as if I'm getting paid until April 6, 2018 from date of lay off).

1) I'm guessing I need to apply for EI immediately (or at latest by end of January). Correct?

2) When would the EI payments kick in assuming I remain unemployed? Would they only kick in after April 6, 2018?

3) How many weeks of EI am I entitled to?

4) I was planning on going on a 2 month vacation with my girlfriend likely (march & april OR april & may) depending on what her work schedule allows. I would of course inform the EI office of my exact travel dates once booked. Does this mean I forgo 2 months of EI, or do they allow me to use those two months when I'm back to actively look for a job?

Thanks so much @b166er1337
Apply within weeks. After pay has been allocated (19 weeks) you have to serve a one week unpaid waiting period.

Your pay begins at that point. You still need to be doing your biweekly reports.

You can leave the country for two months but you won’t get paid. You can resume getting paid when you return/report you’re back. You don’t forego the two weeks but you have 52 weeks to collect your entitlement of benefits.

The weeks you’re eligible for are dependent on how many hours you have worked in the last 52 weeks. If you’ve been working full time for the past year it’s likely you have at least 40 weeks of entitlement.

Good luck.
Sep 24, 2006
578 posts
54 upvotes
Guelph, On
Question.. Currently have two weeks of EI left ends Jan 13 and I will be using them during my works downtime. My last shift was Dec 31 and next shift Jan 26.
When do I apply for EI for the seven days no pay no work. I will have over 1000 hours. Thanks
Jun 7, 2009
366 posts
115 upvotes
Just a quick question.

I already had a claim from earlier this year but never utilized any time on it. The refinery I work at cuts back to a skeleton crew around Christmas and doesn't offer any hours to non-critical staff.

I claimed 2 weeks (with 1 more for this current week) and will be going back to work on January 8. The only issue I see is that my company didn't issue anyone ROEs. When I restarted my claim, I filled in my return date and I don't even recall a question about my ROE. Is this something I should be worried about? Should I be contacting Service Canada to explain This?
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2013
1842 posts
142 upvotes
Sidney
How long is the delay for the January 2018 payment? I last received payment on Dec. 20th and my payments have always been on a Tuesday. Its now the Friday after that.
Jan 4, 2018
3 posts
hey guys...

im glad i found this...

my mom fell and injured herself... and we applied for EI 2 weeks ago... now shes been paying into a RBC hospital insurance for years... pays 100$ a day she was in the hospital ..

does she have to claim this on EI when we do her first report next week? she hasn't received any $$ from rbc yet... is that considered income? ive been trying to call EI for days !!

https://www.rbcinsurance.com/health-ins ... rance.html
Feb 26, 2006
205 posts
2 upvotes
PG, BC
How do I get a hold of a representative for EI? I've been trying 1-800-206-7218 then dial 0 for about a week with no success. All I get is an automated message "At the moment our call volume is high and we're unable to transfer your call to a representative" then get disconnected. I'm trying to switch my end claim from default rule to optional rule but having a difficult time getting a hold of someone
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8335 posts
1409 upvotes
Edmonton
*pgguy* wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 6:17 pm
How do I get a hold of a representative for EI? I've been trying 1-800-206-7218 then dial 0 for about a week with no success. All I get is an automated message "At the moment our call volume is high and we're unable to transfer your call to a representative" then get disconnected. I'm trying to switch my end claim from default rule to optional rule but having a difficult time getting a hold of someone
Keep calling. Mondays and Fridays are the busiest