EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2018 11:42 am
Jan 4, 2018
3 posts
clseea wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 2:21 am
Definitely not earnings so no need to declare
ok perfect ... its all a bit confusing lol and calling is impossible thanks for your help!!!
Jan 7, 2018
1 posts
Hi there,

I have a question. I am currently employed full-time in a 1 year contract. I had originally planned on travelling for 3.5 months when my contract ended and have booked a flight already. Due to new circumstances I am only going to be out of the country for 2 months now (May & June). I may or may not be returning to school next fall and if so, will be around for 2 months after I return from my travels unemployed. My question is then, if my contract ends in May, am I still eligible to claim EI if I do not file until I return from my travels at the end of June? I know I am eligible under the circumstances, however I am not sure about the timing if I wait to file for almost 2 months? I know the site says to file ASAP, I just need to know if I would be rejected if I wait that long.

Thanks so much!
Jan 7, 2018
2 posts
Anyone experiencing a ei payment delay I usually get it deposited at 12am on Monday morning woke up today its not there is there a delay because of the holiday season?
Sep 24, 2006
576 posts
52 upvotes
Guelph, On
thank you - do I apply on Jan 14 as my last day for EI is Jan 13

clseea wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 2:20 am
K.. Then you'll apply after you've been paid out
Jan 7, 2018
2 posts
Are ei payment delayed this week it usually comes in on Mondays at midnight.
Jan 7, 2018
5 posts
I've never considered EI before, I think I've got a handle on the basics, but still confused by some things, and can't find answers. My company sold off all it's assets and I'll be out of work as of Jan 31. No severance or payouts of any kind.
-If I understand correctly, it will take EI a month or so to process my claim. Do I apply on the date I'm eligible (Feb 7th), and then they will pay out back dated to Feb 7th? Or can I apply ahead of time?
-If I find a job with a start date well into the future (say June 1), can I collect EI until that date? If so, do I have to continue to obey "ready to work" and "looking for work" rules after I have signed an offer for such a job? (Short term positions at my salary level simply do not exist in my field)
-If I'm spending a few hours a week working for a small business I have shares in, will it affect my EI? I have never drawn a salary or collected dividends from this business. At most I might have some shareholder loans repaid (not income or taxable), but that's unlikely at this point.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8308 posts
1398 upvotes
Edmonton
anastasia1009 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 1:34 pm
thank you - do I apply on Jan 14 as my last day for EI is Jan 13
It's safest to apply after you've actually received the money. That way you know the old claim is finished, the report went through etc
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8308 posts
1398 upvotes
Edmonton
Jroc5544 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 1:23 pm
Anyone experiencing a ei payment delay I usually get it deposited at 12am on Monday morning woke up today its not there is there a delay because of the holiday season?
You usually get paid Tuesday
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8308 posts
1398 upvotes
Edmonton
eithrowaway wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 2:28 pm
I've never considered EI before, I think I've got a handle on the basics, but still confused by some things, and can't find answers. My company sold off all it's assets and I'll be out of work as of Jan 31. No severance or payouts of any kind.
-If I understand correctly, it will take EI a month or so to process my claim. Do I apply on the date I'm eligible (Feb 7th), and then they will pay out back dated to Feb 7th? Or can I apply ahead of time?
-If I find a job with a start date well into the future (say June 1), can I collect EI until that date? If so, do I have to continue to obey "ready to work" and "looking for work" rules after I have signed an offer for such a job? (Short term positions at my salary level simply do not exist in my field)
-If I'm spending a few hours a week working for a small business I have shares in, will it affect my EI? I have never drawn a salary or collected dividends from this business. At most I might have some shareholder loans repaid (not income or taxable), but that's unlikely at this point.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
- Apply January 31st
- I'd keep reporting and collecting. Declare you haven't found a full time job otherwise your claim will shut off. Your job may fall through so yes you need to keep looking
- The impact of your "self employment" will need to be looked into. There are too many factors to give a yes or no answer
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8308 posts
1398 upvotes
Edmonton
A1K2345 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 1:15 pm
Hi there,

I have a question. I am currently employed full-time in a 1 year contract. I had originally planned on travelling for 3.5 months when my contract ended and have booked a flight already. Due to new circumstances I am only going to be out of the country for 2 months now (May & June). I may or may not be returning to school next fall and if so, will be around for 2 months after I return from my travels unemployed. My question is then, if my contract ends in May, am I still eligible to claim EI if I do not file until I return from my travels at the end of June? I know I am eligible under the circumstances, however I am not sure about the timing if I wait to file for almost 2 months? I know the site says to file ASAP, I just need to know if I would be rejected if I wait that long.

Thanks so much!
Apply before you leave. Then either declare you're unavailable and out of country on your reports or call in to suspend your claim while you're away. I wouldn't wait until you're back to apply.
Sep 24, 2006
576 posts
52 upvotes
Guelph, On
thank you.
question..the 7 days no pay no work starts from Jan 14 even thought no work since News Year Eve. My ROE will probably state Dec 31 2017

I was doing my new EI calculation and this claim is higher in payment. Can I just apply for a new claim? its only one week left and its not that much.

clseea wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 6:25 pm
It's safest to apply after you've actually received the money. That way you know the old claim is finished, the report went through etc
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8308 posts
1398 upvotes
Edmonton
anastasia1009 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 6:32 pm
thank you.
question..the 7 days no pay no work starts from Jan 14 even thought no work since News Year Eve. My ROE will probably state Dec 31 2017

I was doing my new EI calculation and this claim is higher in payment. Can I just apply for a new claim? its only one week left and its not that much.
So you want to do what... Terminate your current claim and start a new one right away? Sure, it'll probably take much longer than just waiting like I said. Doesn't seem worth it for the extra what, $25?
Sep 24, 2006
576 posts
52 upvotes
Guelph, On
It's more like 125 more. I would rather wait and apply Monday the 15th.

I am worried about the 7 day no work no pay. Last day was the 31 of Dec and they might be calling me back on Jan 19 now for two days. If the 7 days no pay no work goes from Jan 14 when EI ends I won't have 7 days so I need to terminate the old claim and then I will have the 7 days no work or pay. But if they go from Jan 1st as no work no pay then I will leave the claim be.
See even I am confused.

clseea wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 7:44 pm
So you want to do what... Terminate your current claim and start a new one right away? Sure, it'll probably take much longer than just waiting like I said. Doesn't seem worth it for the extra what, $25?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8308 posts
1398 upvotes
Edmonton
anastasia1009 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 7:56 pm
It's more like 125 more. I would rather wait and apply Monday the 15th.

I am worried about the 7 day no work no pay. Last day was the 31 of Dec and they might be calling me back on Jan 19 now for two days. If the 7 days no pay no work goes from Jan 14 when EI ends I won't have 7 days so I need to terminate the old claim and then I will have the 7 days no work or pay. But if they go from Jan 1st as no work no pay then I will leave the claim be.
See even I am confused.
You haven't worked since the 31st so that's when your separation is. Even if you work on the 19th you'll still be able create a claim because of the separation date on the 31st. The new claim won't start then because of the old claim but you're still qualifying then with a post dated start date of the 14th.

They could technically terminate the old claim and start the new claim on the 31st, but then you're losing a couple weeks of benefits.
Sep 24, 2006
576 posts
52 upvotes
Guelph, On
thank you so much. you have eased my mind completely.
you have helped me so much over the time with various EI claims and have been spot on,

thanks again

clseea wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 9:08 pm
You haven't worked since the 31st so that's when your separation is. Even if you work on the 19th you'll still be able create a claim because of the separation date on the 31st. The new claim won't start then because of the old claim but you're still qualifying then with a post dated start date of the 14th.

They could technically terminate the old claim and start the new claim on the 31st, but then you're losing a couple weeks of benefits.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)