• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2018 3:51 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1513 posts
480 upvotes
eithrowaway wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 9:50 pm
Cheers, thanks for the info. Did some more digging, and it looks like (according to "Digest of Benefit Entitlement Principles Chapter 5 - Section 16") if somebody is operating a business in any capacity (as opposed to being a passive investor) then that person's share of the business's earnings count as income for the purposes of EI, regardless of whether the earnings are paid out as salary or dividends, or held within the business.
It’s not just your earnings but also the amount of time you’re dedicating to your self-employment and how this affects your ability to look for insurable employment.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18780 posts
3861 upvotes
Thornhill
Hi all, I was on EI for a few months last year, with tax season coming up, how does EI and tax form completion work?

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7890 posts
1264 upvotes
Edmonton
coriolis wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 11:19 am
Hi all, I was on EI for a few months last year, with tax season coming up, how does EI and tax form completion work?

Thanks
Feb 17, 2013
22 posts
KELOWNA
Hi there, thanks for this great thread!

I am coming to the end of my EI regular benefit period, it was a total of 33 weeks. What happens when you use up all your benefit weeks? After I submit my last EI report, is there anything else that I need to do? Will I be contacted by EI?

Thanks in advance for your response!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7890 posts
1264 upvotes
Edmonton
92coreilly wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 1:58 am
Hi there, thanks for this great thread!

I am coming to the end of my EI regular benefit period, it was a total of 33 weeks. What happens when you use up all your benefit weeks? After I submit my last EI report, is there anything else that I need to do? Will I be contacted by EI?

Thanks in advance for your response!
Nothing needs to be done
Jan 9, 2018
1 posts
Hi, very blessed to find this thread. I have been in Canada for 4 years and have only worked for 1 company since 2014. They are a construction company so employees are seasonal and we get laid off during december of every year and being called back spring of the following year.

My scenario is, I got laid off Dec 20 of 2017 (all other employees were laid off except for the owners) Issued my ROE on the same day and applied for EI the same day as this has always been the case every winter season. January of this year I texted my employer, told him I will not be able to join next spring (as i already know I will be called back even if I put "unknown" in return to work feild) because my husband lost his part time job and my baby sitter decided to study full time therefore leaving me to seek for employer that will allow me to work night shifts (I work in the office so I have an 8-5pm job) he responded With" so you will not be returning to work tommorow". I said nobody told me ther's work tommorow and if they need help with turnover I can be in the office afternoon. The he went to ask if I did my own ROE. I said I did, THIS HE KNOWS BECAUSE THEY ASKED ME TO (because I was the one tasked to that, I did all the roe' of previous employees) I am their Admin Officer so I handle all paperwork that concerns the company and employees. Then he said he will re-issue as I have formally resigned from my position. I just replied with 'whatever you need to do" since I was so confused and could not digest what my employer was trying to do. I checked my MSCA and on January 08 they edited my original ROE changed code A to E -Quit. Service canada approved my ei application and reopened my old claim (last year laid off claim) my next report is on the 12th.
I am so confused, I got laid off and as courtesy and respect, I texted them to let them know that I will be seeking for a different employer so that they could find a replacement for me come spring but they changed my roe - i'm guessing the purpose is for me not to recieve any benefits because they are upset about my decision.

I'm not sure what steps I have to take. I would like to seek for your advice. Thank you
Jul 21, 2012
95 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
Hi.

Am i eligible to apply for EI if I refused to take lower pay position?

Please give options

Thanks

Ambreen
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7890 posts
1264 upvotes
Edmonton
MissAmbber wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 12:34 pm
Hi.

Am i eligible to apply for EI if I refused to take lower pay position?

Please give options

Thanks

Ambreen
Need more info than that to assess. $19 instead of $20? No. What options did you exhaust? Etc etc
Jul 21, 2012
95 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
from 18 dollars to 12 dollars and no benefits at all now
Jan 12, 2018
3 posts
Hello! I may have a silly question, it's my first time being on EI....
I've been on EI with sickness benefits and my 15 weeks max will end soon, but I'm confused by what it says...

The "Recovery date" is Feb 17, 2018 (which is what my doctor wrote)
But then the "End of claim" date says August 18, 2018

Does that mean they gave me sickness benefits + some regular benefits as well??
Jan 14, 2018
3 posts
1 upvote
Hi! This is my first time applying for EI and it's only been about 3 weeks since I sent my application in (Dec. 22nd, 2018) I have been obsessively checking MSCA to see if "under review" will ever change to more information. I don't have any worries at this time about my application or if I'll be accepted. I was laid off due to seasons end and not enough work, I've got 1400 + hours in and I've been doing my reports.
My stress right now lies in my funds. My only option is to dip into my group registered retirement plan. I'd rather not but i gotta pay those bills!
Now, do I have to report to EI what I take? Will it effect my EI pay outs? I wouldn't be taking oodles of money out of this RRSP. The majority of answers I've found was that RRSP is not considered earnings and does not need to be reported.
Can anyone help me out?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1513 posts
480 upvotes
shannibutterfly wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 1:13 pm
Hello! I may have a silly question, it's my first time being on EI....
I've been on EI with sickness benefits and my 15 weeks max will end soon, but I'm confused by what it says...

The "Recovery date" is Feb 17, 2018 (which is what my doctor wrote)
But then the "End of claim" date says August 18, 2018

Does that mean they gave me sickness benefits + some regular benefits as well??
The August date is likely the end of your benefit period meaning the end of the time allotted to collect your 15 weeks.

Your claim doesn’t automatically transfer over to regular benefits you would have to call in to convert to regular if you’ve recovered and no longer have work to return to.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1513 posts
480 upvotes
wynt5519 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 5:44 am
Hi! This is my first time applying for EI and it's only been about 3 weeks since I sent my application in (Dec. 22nd, 2018) I have been obsessively checking MSCA to see if "under review" will ever change to more information. I don't have any worries at this time about my application or if I'll be accepted. I was laid off due to seasons end and not enough work, I've got 1400 + hours in and I've been doing my reports.
My stress right now lies in my funds. My only option is to dip into my group registered retirement plan. I'd rather not but i gotta pay those bills!
Now, do I have to report to EI what I take? Will it effect my EI pay outs? I wouldn't be taking oodles of money out of this RRSP. The majority of answers I've found was that RRSP is not considered earnings and does not need to be reported.
Can anyone help me out?
The normal processing time is 28 days so it should be done soon.

You only have to report monies made from employment . So I wouldn’t bother reporting the rrsp’s you’re taking out.
Jan 12, 2018
3 posts
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 10:24 am
The August date is likely the end of your benefit period meaning the end of the time allotted to collect your 15 weeks.

Your claim doesn’t automatically transfer over to regular benefits you would have to call in to convert to regular if you’ve recovered and no longer have work to return to.

Thanks for replying!
Oh, but the last time I did my report online, they gave me a message saying that it was going to be my last week...but it still says August 18, 2018. Also, it said my next report could be done January 19th...
Last edited by shannibutterfly on Jan 15th, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1513 posts
480 upvotes
shannibutterfly wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 12:49 pm
Thanks for replying!
Oh, but the last time I did my report online, they gave me a message saying that it was going to be my last week...but it still says August 18, 2018.
Your benefit period (window of time to collect you benefits) and entitlement (actual weeks of benefits) are two separate things.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)