• May 27th, 2018 5:48 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8195 posts
1353 upvotes
Edmonton
mbarkley2 wrote:
Jan 24th, 2018 10:00 am
Thanks, we have copies of the form here but it doesn't indicate anywhere if the diagnosis is required on the form (or if anything at all is required in the comments).
I did find this information on the website:
"...a medical certificate that attests to the incapacity, the start date, the probably duration..."
I suppose attesting to the incapacity would indicate that they want a diagnosis or explanation of illness on the form.
The diagnosis isn't required for standard sick benefits. "person x is to be off work from x date to x date due to illness" is sufficient.
Sep 24, 2006
566 posts
45 upvotes
Guelph, On
My worked issued me two ROE's - the first one I didn't request and they have no idea why it was requested and it was sent to the wrong address. Second one I requested just a few weeks ago and sent to the wrong address.
1 ROE First Day Work 01/17/17 - to Last Day Pay 05/21/17
2 ROE First Day Work 05/26/17 - to Last Day Pay 12/17/17
Both Reason K

Will this make any difference in my claim as its the same Employer and I have more that enough hours. I asked them to cancel one of them but they said they can't combine it.
I am handing the two ROE's in tomorrow when I pick them up. thanks
Banned
Jan 22, 2018
25 posts
12 upvotes
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 9:18 pm
She doesn’t have to do anything other than provide a list of places she’s applied to or whatever else she has done for her job search. She will literally sit there and watch a presentation. She doesn’t have to participate if she doesn’t want to.
You mean participate in the presentation ? But she still has to go there in person & submit her job search history.

Or not even participate to go to EI appointment, like not physically go there in the first place.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1686 posts
580 upvotes
leelaboy wrote:
Jan 25th, 2018 1:56 pm
You mean participate in the presentation ? But she still has to go there in person & submit her job search history.

Or not even participate to go to EI appointment, like not physically go there in the first place.
No she has to go to the session. They ask people questions and to participate so it’s not so boring. She doesn’t have to do that but she does have to show up and listen (or pretend to listen).
Sep 24, 2006
566 posts
45 upvotes
Guelph, On
My work "lost" well mailed my ROE's to the wrong address and the people at the other address hasn't done the return to sender.
So they gave me a photocopy of my ROE's and in ink wrote "certified copy MM and the today's date"
I handed it in today will they accept it?
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2004
4645 posts
2607 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm asking this question for a friend of mine - I hope someone can help. I am sure it has been asked before.

Scenario: My friend works as a plumber and he hurt his back last summer. He suffers from chronic back pain now. He went on EI Sickness benefits for 15 weeks, but after that, he was forced to go back to work. He is in pain while working.

Question: He wants to know if he can quit his job (due to the back pain) and then still collect regular EI benefits. He is able to work, just not as a plumber or anything physical. So if he quits his job as a plumber, and then begins searching for non-physical work, does that qualify him for collecting EI?

Follow up Question: If he did quit, does he need to make sure his employer marks anything special on his EI form? e.g. Quit due to sickness. And what if the employer refuses to comply, and simply says he quit? Is he in for a fight with EI, or are these types of claims common?

Thanks a lot.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1686 posts
580 upvotes
adamtheman wrote:
Jan 26th, 2018 4:39 pm
I'm asking this question for a friend of mine - I hope someone can help. I am sure it has been asked before.

Scenario: My friend works as a plumber and he hurt his back last summer. He suffers from chronic back pain now. He went on EI Sickness benefits for 15 weeks, but after that, he was forced to go back to work. He is in pain while working.

Question: He wants to know if he can quit his job (due to the back pain) and then still collect regular EI benefits. He is able to work, just not as a plumber or anything physical. So if he quits his job as a plumber, and then begins searching for non-physical work, does that qualify him for collecting EI?

Follow up Question: If he did quit, does he need to make sure his employer marks anything special on his EI form? e.g. Quit due to sickness. And what if the employer refuses to comply, and simply says he quit? Is he in for a fight with EI, or are these types of claims common?

Thanks a lot.
If he quits he won’t get benefits. Why? He’s quitting for his injury and he’s already collected the full 15 weeks of sickness benefits.

Regular benefits are for those who lost their job due to no fault of their own. Quitting is creating his own separation from employment.

So it sucks he can’t do the job anymore but he probably should have looked for another job while he was off on sick benefits.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2004
4645 posts
2607 upvotes
Vancouver
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Jan 26th, 2018 9:03 pm
If he quits he won’t get benefits. Why? He’s quitting for his injury and he’s already collected the full 15 weeks of sickness benefits.

Regular benefits are for those who lost their job due to no fault of their own. Quitting is creating his own separation from employment.

So it sucks he can’t do the job anymore but he probably should have looked for another job while he was off on sick benefits.
Okay then, what if he stops going to work because of his back pain and his employer lays him off? Then he would be laid off due to no fault of his own.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1686 posts
580 upvotes
adamtheman wrote:
Jan 26th, 2018 9:51 pm
Okay then, what if he stops going to work because of his back pain and his employer lays him off? Then he would be laid off due to no fault of his own.
Umm no. If he is let go because he stops showing up for work then he would be terminated with cause (because he didn’t show up for work).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8195 posts
1353 upvotes
Edmonton
adamtheman wrote:
Jan 26th, 2018 4:39 pm

Thanks a lot.
Unless he has medical documentation stating he needs to quit and can work other types of jobs, and has exhausted reasonable alternatives to quitting prior to doing so, he's not qualifying for regular benefits.

If he stops showing up for work he's creating his own unemployment and breaking his employment contract. He'll be terminated for cause.

[..]
Jan 27, 2018
1 posts
Hi,

I recieved ei sickness benefits for 15 weeks last year and went back to my place of work. If i get laid off or otherwise quit my job with just cause will i be entitled to regular ei benefits?

When do the hours accumulated begin from in this case? Would it be from the end of the sickness benefit or based on the past 52 weeks.. ?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1686 posts
580 upvotes
Houseontop wrote:
Jan 28th, 2018 1:37 am
Hi,

I recieved ei sickness benefits for 15 weeks last year and went back to my place of work. If i get laid off or otherwise quit my job with just cause will i be entitled to regular ei benefits?

When do the hours accumulated begin from in this case? Would it be from the end of the sickness benefit or based on the past 52 weeks.. ?
As long as you have enough hours. The hours calculated would be from the last 52 weeks and would include all hours after you started you last claim.

Good luck.
Jan 28, 2018
1 posts
Just got my back pay a few days ago, was looking at weeks of entitlement, it says only 18 weeks, was trying to figure out why. After going over my ROE I found out my boss made two mistakes, insurable hours are pretty much cut in half and insurable earnings, question is since my benefits are already going will ei change my weeks of entitlement once I get ROE fixed
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8195 posts
1353 upvotes
Edmonton
Scottmcindoo wrote:
Jan 29th, 2018 12:58 am
Just got my back pay a few days ago, was looking at weeks of entitlement, it says only 18 weeks, was trying to figure out why. After going over my ROE I found out my boss made two mistakes, insurable hours are pretty much cut in half and insurable earnings, question is since my benefits are already going will ei change my weeks of entitlement once I get ROE fixed
Yes, if it was wrong they'll recalculate with the new info
Sep 24, 2006
566 posts
45 upvotes
Guelph, On
Question please and thank you. Going to call tomorrow after my job interview. My work "lost" well mailed my ROE's to the wrong address and the people at the other address hasn't done the return to sender. So they gave me a photocopy of my ROE's and in ink wrote "certified copy MM and the today's date"
I handed it in today will they accept it?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)