• Feb 21st, 2018 7:15 pm
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8996 posts
2511 upvotes
Calgary
AnthonyL708587 wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 11:16 am
I resigned from my job which I had been in a couple of years to take up another job. But this job lasted only six weeks, due to operational reasons in the company and I was let go, the reason given as termination without cause. I applied for EI and after waiting for two months for a decision was told that I didn't qualify, the reason was that I resigned from my last job without good cause. I've appealed with the reason being that I can't do two jobs at the same time (I'm not omnipresent, although I didn't use that term), and am waiting on their response. It all seems unfair to me, is there anything else I can do as I have no money or a job now and things are getting desperate. I thought about speaking to my MP but I imagine that she probably won't help. Has anyone else experienced this?
You will be speaking with your MP's staff, not MP. I suggest you do this first.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8996 posts
2511 upvotes
Calgary
nate667 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2018 9:50 pm
Hi everyone. Here is weird one, I was parental leave for 14 weeks last year and didn’t realize I had to apply for EI. I am in the military and thought my clerk was taking care of it, feel like a dummy! After 6 weeks I got my application in and started receiving my payments. After I went back to work payments continued and I received 14 weeks of payments and my claim ended once all payments were received. Now I’m hot water and have to pay back all the payments received after I went back to work. I do accept responsibility for messing all this up, but is there anything that can be done? If I pay them back the 7 weeks from when I was working, is there a way to retro active claim the 6 weeks before I failed to apply??? Thanks for any insight anyone may have.

Nate
You can apply to antedate (backdate) your claim.
https://catalogue.servicecanada.gc.ca/c ... rm=INS2987
Jan 29, 2018
2 posts
Hello I got a tough question for you guys.

I deal with some very serious mental health problems, and I took some time off to seek some medical help with my illness. While I was off work I was terminated, but had already filed for EI sickness benefits. Do I lose my sickness benefits due to the termination?
I will mention that my termination was due to some actions I did while I was very ill mentally and I have filed a grievance with my union.
Essentially I had received years of harassment at work due to my mental illness and was being mistreated by my supervisor. one night I saw him drinking and driving and reported him to the police. I admit I did it out of anger and my workplace twisted my story and made things sound worse then they really were.
Thanks
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8996 posts
2511 upvotes
Calgary
1) reason of separation has no bearing on special benefits eligibility.
2) as soon as you have recovered and can work (preferably with a doctor's note), you will convert the claim from sickness to regular benefits. An adjudicator will then look at the circumstance surrounding your dismissal. If he/she believes you were fired for misconduct, then you won't qualify for regular benefits.

If it is as you said that you reported your supervisor after he was driving under influence, and you were fired later due tohis retaliation, I don't see how it is misconduct on your end.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8996 posts
2511 upvotes
Calgary
Apparently I miss some commotion in the last several days...I need to check in more often. Face With Tears Of Joy
Jan 29, 2018
2 posts
I don't believe I had a fair investigation. They made up many false facts and I caught them on many of them. They said I had followed him to the bar, waited for him to drive then called the cops on him. I admitted I followed him home while I was on 911, as he was driving very erratically. It was clearly a bogus investigation and I feel like its David vs. Goliath as I work for a municipal government (City of Regina). I know I should hire a lawyer but that impossible due to my financial struggles.
I should also mention I was fired 1 week after I had filed for EI sickness benefits, after an almost 3 month investigation. I had inquired the day before about applying for WCB and that really seemed to piss my work off, and think it had some bearing on my termination.
Thanks Again.
Jan 28, 2018
2 posts
Awesome, thanks for tip. I’ll look into that today. Have a good one!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7985 posts
1296 upvotes
Edmonton
b166er1337 wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 4:24 pm
Apparently I miss some commotion in the last several days...I need to check in more often. Face With Tears Of Joy
Twas a blast
Jan 29, 2018
1 posts
Okay, I applied for regular EI benefits in May 2017. They denied my claim due to being unavailable to work. On Monday I applied for maternity benefits. Now it seems that they are reactivating my old claim even though i was denied and never had any benefits paid to me. Does this mean my mat leave will only be until May?! I am so confused. And i read if I started a new claim my qualifying period would be from the start of my previous claim until my new application date. In that period I do not have the 600 hours needed for mat leave. Also how is it fair that my qualifying period isn't from January 29th 2017-january 29th 2018 if I never received any benefits. In other words those insurable hours were never used for EI benefits so why would they be taken from me?!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7985 posts
1296 upvotes
Edmonton
MelissaC070634 wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 6:08 pm
Okay, I applied for regular EI benefits in May 2017. They denied my claim due to being unavailable to work. On Monday I applied for maternity benefits. Now it seems that they are reactivating my old claim even though i was denied and never had any benefits paid to me. Does this mean my mat leave will only be until May?! I am so confused. And i read if I started a new claim my qualifying period would be from the start of my previous claim until my new application date. In that period I do not have the 600 hours needed for mat leave. Also how is it fair that my qualifying period isn't from January 29th 2017-january 29th 2018 if I never received any benefits. In other words those insurable hours were never used for EI benefits so why would they be taken from me?!
Need more info.
Why did you apply for regular in May if you were unavailable?
What have you been doing between May and now?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1595 posts
528 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 4:24 pm
It’s getting a little hostile in here these days when people don’t hear what they want to hear.

I think I’m going to take a break from contributing on here for a while. If people want to yell and scream and insult people, that’s what the hotline is for. Some of us actually spend a lot of time trying to answer things as per the guidelines and policies of EI on here, and to get yelled at or accused of things for simply answering a question just isn’t worth it anymore.

Good luck to you guys in the interim.
Dec 8, 2017
9 posts
4 upvotes
You will be missed OldMarriedGuy. You have helped more people than you realize.
Thank you for all the time and effort you have spent on this forum.
Also thanks to Clseea and b166er1337 all your replies are most appreciated by many.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7985 posts
1296 upvotes
Edmonton
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 9:16 am
It’s getting a little hostile in here these days when people don’t hear what they want to hear.

I think I’m going to take a break from contributing on here for a while. If people want to yell and scream and insult people, that’s what the hotline is for. Some of us actually spend a lot of time trying to answer things as per the guidelines and policies of EI on here, and to get yelled at or accused of things for simply answering a question just isn’t worth it anymore.

I feel your pain but don't let dinks like that win, they're getting exactly what they want if you stop helping out
Jul 21, 2012
96 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
If you complete 350 hours on one job which is full time and complete another 350 hours on another job which is also full time but contract job for only 350 hours, are you qualified for EI? contract job was taken because it was higher and matches with same educational level.

Also friend received letter from EI stating that vacation pay paid by previous employer will br deducted from first time and remaining difference will be paid. If i add vacation pay and difference amount, is it one week benefit or two week benefit?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8996 posts
2511 upvotes
Calgary
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 9:16 am

You deserve a long break. I was kinda slacking off in the past several months so it was actually refreshing to come back to the thread. I was exhausted reading the same stories and posting the same answers. Now I am okay.

And I won't hesitate to ban those idiots outright.

Go away and come back when you are bored. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 0 guests)

SmartShopper77, cgtlky