Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2018 10:24 pm
Jul 27, 2015
262 posts
76 upvotes
British Columbia
Hello. So I quit my job of 13 years 2 months ago. Thinking I could get another job but its seems to be harder then i thought. Since it has been a lil more then 2 months now. Would I be able to qualify E.I?
Aug 12, 2010
447 posts
77 upvotes
I have a quick question. If you work part time and report your earnings to EI while you are on a claim, do those part time hours you are working while on a claim accumulate for any future claim?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7987 posts
1296 upvotes
Edmonton
GavinMcI wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2018 6:43 pm
I'm a soon to be displaced Shaw employee. I will be accepting a buyout that is considered ~ 22.75 months of pay derived from my 2017 earnings. While I don't yet know my end date, assuming it is this calendar year, I plan to take the buyout in two lump sums (50% each) - this year and next Jan 15th.

I will most likely be getting a vacation pay payout, as I doubt I will have time to take my remaining vacation hours.
I am planning to move a part of my buyout into my RRSPs - I would love to move it all, but I don't have the contribution room.

Shaw has stated that the reason for leaving listed on the Record of Employment will be listed as "other - restructure" but then further clarified that to be "K - Other"

In my scenario, would I qualify for EI benefits?
You'll qualify for a month since they can only extend your benefit period by a year. Your severance effectively prevents anything longer
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7987 posts
1296 upvotes
Edmonton
chilli604 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 2:13 am
Hello. So I quit my job of 13 years 2 months ago. Thinking I could get another job but its seems to be harder then i thought. Since it has been a lil more then 2 months now. Would I be able to qualify E.I?
Depends why you quit and the circumstances
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7987 posts
1296 upvotes
Edmonton
weaser999 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 10:41 am
I have a quick question. If you work part time and report your earnings to EI while you are on a claim, do those part time hours you are working while on a claim accumulate for any future claim?
Yes, provided the hours fall within the next qualifying period
Feb 1, 2012
71 posts
5 upvotes
DELTA
Having trouble with EI... they can't see my ROE because my employer is government and it is known (even EI are aware) that our system is not sending out ROE's until march due to problems.. interim ROE's are therefore being made

My account was put on rush but still nothing has been donce since 29th, i was told this was set to urgent and should take only 1-5 business days. I'm now employed.. will i get paid for the 5 weeks i was laid off minus the 1 week processing?

What should i do about the longer than told processing time? i'm at work the hours they are open to call.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7987 posts
1296 upvotes
Edmonton
L0gikb0mb wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 9:02 pm
Having trouble with EI... they can't see my ROE because my employer is government and it is known (even EI are aware) that our system is not sending out ROE's until march due to problems.. interim ROE's are therefore being made

My account was put on rush but still nothing has been donce since 29th, i was told this was set to urgent and should take only 1-5 business days. I'm now employed.. will i get paid for the 5 weeks i was laid off minus the 1 week processing?

What should i do about the longer than told processing time? i'm at work the hours they are open to call.
Provided you qualify, yes you'll be paid those weeks.
Contact your MP's office
Aug 12, 2010
447 posts
77 upvotes
clseea wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 5:59 pm
Yes, provided the hours fall within the next qualifying period
Thanks.
Can you elaborate a bit more regarding qualifying period?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7987 posts
1296 upvotes
Edmonton
weaser999 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2018 11:32 am
Thanks.
Can you elaborate a bit more regarding qualifying period?
Typically the 52 week period prior to the start of your claim
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8997 posts
2511 upvotes
Calgary
GavinMcI wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2018 6:43 pm
I'm a soon to be displaced Shaw employee. I will be accepting a buyout that is considered ~ 22.75 months of pay derived from my 2017 earnings. While I don't yet know my end date, assuming it is this calendar year, I plan to take the buyout in two lump sums (50% each) - this year and next Jan 15th.

I will most likely be getting a vacation pay payout, as I doubt I will have time to take my remaining vacation hours.
I am planning to move a part of my buyout into my RRSPs - I would love to move it all, but I don't have the contribution room.

Shaw has stated that the reason for leaving listed on the Record of Employment will be listed as "other - restructure" but then further clarified that to be "K - Other"

In my scenario, would I qualify for EI benefits?
EI benefit period can be extended up to 104 weeks (2 years) from the start of the claim. Unfortunately (or fortunately, you get a very nice package), that means you are basically out of luck on EI. Assuming you don't get any vacation pay, the most amount you will get is 4 weeks. (1.25 month is 5 weeks; minus 1 week waiting period). With the vacation payout, if it's more than 4 weeks, you won't get an yEI.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soc ... tml#a1_5_0

edit: clseea already answered Face With Tears Of Joy
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Feb 2, 2018
2 posts
b166er1337 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 10:36 am
EI benefit period can be extended up to 104 weeks (2 years) from the start of the claim. Unfortunately (or fortunately, you get a very nice package), that means you are basically out of luck on EI. Assuming you don't get any vacation pay, the most amount you will get is 4 weeks. (1.25 month is 5 weeks; minus 1 week waiting period). With the vacation payout, if it's more than 4 weeks, you won't get an yEI.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soc ... tml#a1_5_0

edit: clseea already answered Face With Tears Of Joy
Thanks for the answers. Yes, I will also be getting a vacation payout, so it will negate getting EI benefits. I have a couple more questions.

Is my payout required by law to be reported as both a dollar figure AND the considered length of time (22.75 months) by my employer?

Is voluntary buyout and forced severance identical (for EI purposes) to Service Canada?

Would there be any reason to start a claim at all such as certain programs or opportunities available to someone on an EI claim even without the $?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8997 posts
2511 upvotes
Calgary
GavinMcI wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 11:39 am
Thanks for the answers. Yes, I will also be getting a vacation payout, so it will negate getting EI benefits. I have a couple more questions.

Is my payout required by law to be reported as both a dollar figure AND the considered length of time (22.75 months) by my employer?

Is voluntary buyout and forced severance identical (for EI purposes) to Service Canada?

Would there be any reason to start a claim at all such as certain programs or opportunities available to someone on an EI claim even without the $?
You report the total pay out amount (severance pay, vacation pay etc) and Service Canada will divide that amount on your average weekly earning. So there may be some variance but nothing significant.

If you are getting 4 weeks vacation payout or more, there is no point to apply.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Banned
Feb 7, 2018
11 posts
2 upvotes
If you apply for welfare after you are laid off & immediately start getting that, while you are waiting for your EI to be approved, does EI application get cancelled automatically ?

I know someone who got laid off & has applied for Welfare & is waiting for EI to be approved, but its taking ages. Welfare has already started though.

EI is neither saying Yes nor are they saying No, when he calls them. Nor is the paperwork incomplete either from his side or his employer's side, according to EI. They just tell him we are working on it & processing it, no time line is given either.
Feb 7, 2018
1 posts
Hello, I am currently on EI Regular Benefits. My doctor just put me on bed rest for pregnancy complications and I'm only 24 weeks along. Wondering if I could convert the claim to EI Sick benefits to relieve me from my job searching responsibilities until baby comes along and then convert back to finish up my EI regular claim or change it to maternity leave???
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7987 posts
1296 upvotes
Edmonton
janis905 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 3:00 pm
If you apply for welfare after you are laid off & immediately start getting that, while you are waiting for your EI to be approved, does EI application get cancelled automatically ?

I know someone who got laid off & has applied for Welfare & is waiting for EI to be approved, but its taking ages. Welfare has already started though.

EI is neither saying Yes nor are they saying No, when he calls them. Nor is the paperwork incomplete either from his side or his employer's side, according to EI. They just tell him we are working on it & processing it, no time line is given either.
No, your application isn't cancelled. If they haven't finished it within 28 days call back to escalate things