EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2018 10:37 am
Sep 11, 2011
271 posts
67 upvotes
L0gikb0mb wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 9:02 pm
Having trouble with EI... they can't see my ROE because my employer is government and it is known (even EI are aware) that our system is not sending out ROE's until march due to problems.. interim ROE's are therefore being made

My account was put on rush but still nothing has been donce since 29th, i was told this was set to urgent and should take only 1-5 business days. I'm now employed.. will i get paid for the 5 weeks i was laid off minus the 1 week processing?

What should i do about the longer than told processing time? i'm at work the hours they are open to call.
I'm assuming you're talking about the Federal Government. I had the same problem a few yrs ago. I just photo copied my pay stubs and sent it in with the request for ROE form. I'm still waiting for my ROE from my 2nd layoff from Sept 2016 and the 2000 bucks they owe me from 2 yrs ago when our dept was thrown onto the crappy Phoenix payroll system.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7992 posts
1296 upvotes
Edmonton
bellagirl wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 10:38 am
I'm assuming you're talking about the Federal Government. I had the same problem a few yrs ago. I just photo copied my pay stubs and sent it in with the request for ROE form. I'm still waiting for my ROE from my 2nd layoff from Sept 2016 and the 2000 bucks they owe me from 2 yrs ago when our dept was thrown onto the crappy Phoenix payroll system.
How dare you talk about Phoenix like that... It's a wonderful system with no issues..... Wait no nevermind
Dec 10, 2011
62 posts
48 upvotes
Hello,

I have been working for a company for the past 2 years on contract (which doesn't guarantee a minimum of hours, but we always had at least 35 hours per week and plenty of weeks with OT so I contributed to EI the maximum amount possible each year). Last month we lost our biggest client, so our work volume reduced considerably. In case I work less than 20 hours/week am I entitled for EI to complete my revenue? If not what is the maximum of hours/revenue in order to be qualified for EI?

Thank you
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
7953 posts
1531 upvotes
Would someone be eligible for EI if they worked only 2 months part time?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7992 posts
1296 upvotes
Edmonton
molie2403 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 6:54 pm
Hello,

I have been working for a company for the past 2 years on contract (which doesn't guarantee a minimum of hours, but we always had at least 35 hours per week and plenty of weeks with OT so I contributed to EI the maximum amount possible each year). Last month we lost our biggest client, so our work volume reduced considerably. In case I work less than 20 hours/week am I entitled for EI to complete my revenue? If not what is the maximum of hours/revenue in order to be qualified for EI?

Thank you
You need to have 7 consecutive days with no work or pay to apply.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7992 posts
1296 upvotes
Edmonton
Messerschmitt wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 7:06 pm
Would someone be eligible for EI if they worked only 2 months part time?
Not unless they somehow have enough hours after 2 months of part-time work
Deal Addict
May 4, 2005
2354 posts
55 upvotes
If on EI and I cross the border on the Friday. Is there a time where I can cross the border without being penalized? Like 4 or 5 pm?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9003 posts
2513 upvotes
Calgary
BlazinTrini wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 12:22 pm
If on EI and I cross the border on the Friday. Is there a time where I can cross the border without being penalized? Like 4 or 5 pm?
Yes, crossing the border at 4 or 5 pm on the Friday is very safe assuming you get back by Sunday night.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Feb 10, 2018
1 posts
Hello everyone,

Thanks for starting this informative and helpful thread. I have to make a decision on my employment and I would appreciate any assistance.

I have been working for my employer for almost 2 years and I received a letter last week stating that I have to meet my performance targets or I will be terminated.

Inspite of my continuous commitment and dedication towards my job I am being questioned about my performance which is highly stressful and demotivating.

I am in a situation where I can either resign or be terminated. The reason for my termination will be failure to perform as per job expectations.

My leader is forcing me to resign to avoid termination.

Based on the above situation if I resign will I be eligible for EI?

If I do not resign and get terminated will I be eligible for EI?

I do not want to be ineligible for EI as I am the only earning member in my family and will face a major financial crunch due to unemployment.

Please let me know so I can make an informed decision about my employment.

Awaiting your response
Thank you
Deal Addict
May 4, 2005
2354 posts
55 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 5:17 pm
Yes, crossing the border at 4 or 5 pm on the Friday is very safe assuming you get back by Sunday night.
Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7992 posts
1296 upvotes
Edmonton
Paulcastillo84 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 9:26 pm
Hello everyone,

Thanks for starting this informative and helpful thread. I have to make a decision on my employment and I would appreciate any assistance.

I have been working for my employer for almost 2 years and I received a letter last week stating that I have to meet my performance targets or I will be terminated.

Inspite of my continuous commitment and dedication towards my job I am being questioned about my performance which is highly stressful and demotivating.

I am in a situation where I can either resign or be terminated. The reason for my termination will be failure to perform as per job expectations.

My leader is forcing me to resign to avoid termination.

Based on the above situation if I resign will I be eligible for EI?

If I do not resign and get terminated will I be eligible for EI?

I do not want to be ineligible for EI as I am the only earning member in my family and will face a major financial crunch due to unemployment.

Please let me know so I can make an informed decision about my employment.

Awaiting your response
Thank you
Don't resign.
Your employer wants you to resign so they don't need to pay you any severance.
If your performance isn't where they need it to be and they terminate you, you'll still likely be eligible for EI since there wasn't any sort of misconduct that lead to your termination. You simply didn't meet whatever targets they were setting.

Basic rule of thumb:
You resign - the onus is on you to prove just cause and that you exhausted reasonable alternatives to quitting. You won't have just cause (although it could be argued you were constructively dismissed... But that's a whole other rabbit hole that's not as clear cut)
You're terminated: the onus is on the employer to show there was misconduct. There is no misconduct in this case, unless you deliberately humping the dog
Mar 26, 2012
2 posts
VANCOUVER
Hi all

Thanks for contributing to the forum.
Recently, my company restructured and my position will be eliminated. After being employed for a year and a half, full time, the company gave me a 4 weeks notice about a month ago. Thus, tomorrow is my last day. During this time, I have not been successful in getting a new job (it's not easy...).
Therefore, I think I will get E.I. benefits. The payroll lady will return from vacation and I'll get my ROE in the mail (I think) when she comes back next week.

Now, here are my questions:

Based on the number of hours and the location I am in, I read that I have a maximum of 36 weeks (9 months) of insurance I could collect.
Is it from the first day of unemployment onwards for 36 weeks (i.e. Feb to November) or can I stop in between (e.g. I go on vacation for 1 month in April) and it goes from Feb to December?
Also, would it be possible to delay the enrolment period (to let's say April) and get it from April to January?
And what if I decided to volunteer overseas (for a year), can I stop the payment and come back for it?

I know similar questions probably been answered but the thread is at about 983 pages and it's kind of time consuming to try and go through all the replies and posts.

Thanks
Mar 29, 2010
90 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help with my question regarding starting parental leave.

I would like to take 3-week parental leave when the baby is born but would like to avoid not getting EI payment if the baby is born mid-week.

Tried calling Service Canada but it's still quite confusing because it depends on your earning in the week before the baby is born.

Will I be able to take vacation days for the remaining of the week if the baby is born mid-week and then put Friday of that week as my last working day so that I can start the parental leave the following Monday
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9003 posts
2513 upvotes
Calgary
cheungkl04 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 7:05 pm
Hi all

Thanks for contributing to the forum.
Recently, my company restructured and my position will be eliminated. After being employed for a year and a half, full time, the company gave me a 4 weeks notice about a month ago. Thus, tomorrow is my last day. During this time, I have not been successful in getting a new job (it's not easy...).
Therefore, I think I will get E.I. benefits. The payroll lady will return from vacation and I'll get my ROE in the mail (I think) when she comes back next week.

Now, here are my questions:

Based on the number of hours and the location I am in, I read that I have a maximum of 36 weeks (9 months) of insurance I could collect.
Is it from the first day of unemployment onwards for 36 weeks (i.e. Feb to November) or can I stop in between (e.g. I go on vacation for 1 month in April) and it goes from Feb to December?
Also, would it be possible to delay the enrolment period (to let's say April) and get it from April to January?
And what if I decided to volunteer overseas (for a year), can I stop the payment and come back for it?

I know similar questions probably been answered but the thread is at about 983 pages and it's kind of time consuming to try and go through all the replies and posts.

Thanks
You have 52 weeks to collect your entitlement. For you, that means you can be away for 15 weeks and still collect the maximum benefits (52 weeks - 1 week waiting period - 36 weeks benefits).

So for your first 2 questions, yes you can. For the last one, you won't get anything if you leave the country for one year.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9003 posts
2513 upvotes
Calgary
zhiccup wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 9:03 am
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help with my question regarding starting parental leave.

I would like to take 3-week parental leave when the baby is born but would like to avoid not getting EI payment if the baby is born mid-week.

Tried calling Service Canada but it's still quite confusing because it depends on your earning in the week before the baby is born.

Will I be able to take vacation days for the remaining of the week if the baby is born mid-week and then put Friday of that week as my last working day so that I can start the parental leave the following Monday
yes.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)