Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2018 8:27 pm
Deal Addict
May 4, 2005
2375 posts
67 upvotes
If I take a 6 month contract job while on EI does my EI get suspended during that 6 months and then starts back when the contract is done?
Deal Addict
May 4, 2005
2375 posts
67 upvotes
Also I am on EI if I do Second Career how does that affect my EI?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8295 posts
1388 upvotes
Edmonton
SmartShopper77 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 12:33 pm
Hi guys, I tried researching the answer and I can't find one - and I know this is a very knowledgeable forum so I decided to post!
I am currently off work on stress leave and collecting sickness benefits. Is there any penalty for quitting my current job and starting a new one in the midst of collecting these injury/illness benefits? The new job will be part time and I will be claiming the hours with EI.
I just wasn't sure, since it falls under 'voluntarily leaving' but that's more of an issue with wanting to collect regular ei benefits I thought.

Thanks!
Anytime you quit you need to exhaust reasonable alternatives and have just cause. That being said it's special benefits so the adjudication of your reason for separation will be deferred. However, it'll raise some questions you'll need to answer

Why would you need to quit? Why are you ok to work part time if you're off on sick leave?
Feb 21, 2018
1 posts
Here's an interesting question.

A lot of changes have happened in my life in the last 6 months and I had a job lined up and was in contact with another one. I had a severe panic attack though which was new to me and got terrified of working and being away from the support system I have where I live . Been doing the occupation for 4 years so I don't know why it came about. So made some bigger steps to try and fix myself in the mental health channels so I can get back to work! Or try to anyways!

I am worried about the reporting though. I think it's only fair that I put that I wasn't available or willing to work from the day after the panic attack onward [since it occured at night]. If I do so though and keep putting on my reports I wasn't able to will I get into trouble? I don't see why not because it's less money to pay out but you never know. Then obviously I will have stopped looking for work so I dunno what to do
Feb 20, 2018
4 posts
clseea wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 10:24 pm
Anytime you quit you need to exhaust reasonable alternatives and have just cause. That being said it's special benefits so the adjudication of your reason for separation will be deferred. However, it'll raise some questions you'll need to answer

Why would you need to quit? Why are you ok to work part time if you're off on sick leave?
Thanks for the response. They are basically making the work environment a little hostile for me, despite me saying I was coming back from my leavce. I've received texts from my boss that are unfounded, like that other places of employment are reaching out and asking how I am as a worker, insinuating that I've applied at other jobs. They're training my replacement and acting like I'm not coming back.

I am OK to work a little bit part time as the stress leave was for depression and stress.. not like I broke my ankle. I was under the impression that during my EI reporting, it was ok to claim work part time since it just gets deducted anyway.

I don't know if it would be 'unfounded' or 'justified' because this is essentially just a bunch of catty women making my life more difficult because I opted to go on leave.

I just can't bear to go back to my old job, and I don't want to keep stringing them along either. But, I don't want to mess up my EI claim on the same note.
Feb 22, 2018
1 posts
Hello guys

I am a part time student in ontario and have never applied for EI benefits. Recently my account has been credited with funds from EI canada. Reality is I am still working where I was before and never claimed EI as mentioned above. I am really confused. Is there any consequences of it?

Thanks
Feb 22, 2018
1 posts
kush141895313394 wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2018 12:20 pm
Hello guys

I am a part time student in ontario and have never applied for EI benefits. Recently my account has been credited with funds from EI canada. Reality is I am still working where I was before and never claimed EI as mentioned above. I am really confused. Is there any consequences of it?

Thanks
As of now no, but you must report this to EI immediately. If you take this money, and keep it secretly there will be an issue. So if I were you I would call Service Canada and tell them of this, and report it to your bank. Whatever you do do not spend the money. This could be a random error, or worse someone on EI had their payment sent to you by mistake. Which means they will be on hold for funds they may desperately need.
Jan 7, 2018
5 posts
I can't find anywhere on the EI website what current processing times are. My job ended Jan 31 with no payouts. I applied for EI on Feb 1, my ROE was issued Feb 9 and I can see it on My Service Canada.

At what point should I start bugging someone? I don't want to bother anyone unnecessarily.

Also, I indicated that my job started Jan 1 2014, but my ROE states Jan 16 2014. (I'd been working for the business since 2012, but was switched from being paid directly by one of the owners to the corporate payroll system around then) Should I bother calling in to deal with that, even though it's irrelevant (I think?) for EI purposes?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8295 posts
1388 upvotes
Edmonton
eithrowaway wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 4:31 pm
I can't find anywhere on the EI website what current processing times are. My job ended Jan 31 with no payouts. I applied for EI on Feb 1, my ROE was issued Feb 9 and I can see it on My Service Canada.

At what point should I start bugging someone? I don't want to bother anyone unnecessarily.

Also, I indicated that my job started Jan 1 2014, but my ROE states Jan 16 2014. (I'd been working for the business since 2012, but was switched from being paid directly by one of the owners to the corporate payroll system around then) Should I bother calling in to deal with that, even though it's irrelevant (I think?) for EI purposes?
After 28 days
The start date won't make any difference
May 12, 2016
47 posts
6 upvotes
I live in Toronto and just lost my job due to headcount no longer required. I had worked with this employer for 1.5 years... now I feel like I am about to get a contract job (still not finalized).

My question is if I get a contract job would I still be able to claim EI because when I am doing contract job the money goes to the incorporation and not in my bank account ? Me and my incorporation are 2 separate entity here.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8295 posts
1388 upvotes
Edmonton
AbdulR388006 wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 9:28 pm
I live in Toronto and just lost my job due to headcount no longer required. I had worked with this employer for 1.5 years... now I feel like I am about to get a contract job (still not finalized).

My question is if I get a contract job would I still be able to claim EI because when I am doing contract job the money goes to the incorporation and not in my bank account ? Me and my incorporation are 2 separate entity here.
Sooooooo you're self employed?
Oct 3, 2009
432 posts
122 upvotes
I have a question:

If you previously worked part time prior to going on EI because you have child care responsibilities, are you required to seek both full time and part time work, or is it acceptable to seek part time work so you can maintain your childcare responsibilities? If you are offered a job that was full time, but worked out to a $ per hour that is considerably less than what your previous part time $/hour rate was, is that considered turning down suitable employment? Or is it justified as you would be putting yourself in a poorer financial situation than you were in previously?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8295 posts
1388 upvotes
Edmonton
Intotheblue12 wrote:
Feb 26th, 2018 11:52 am
I have a question:

If you previously worked part time prior to going on EI because you have child care responsibilities, are you required to seek both full time and part time work, or is it acceptable to seek part time work so you can maintain your childcare responsibilities? If you are offered a job that was full time, but worked out to a $ per hour that is considerably less than what your previous part time $/hour rate was, is that considered turning down suitable employment? Or is it justified as you would be putting yourself in a poorer financial situation than you were in previously?
You're required to look for full time employment. Unless you only want to work part time and give up your benefits.
Oct 23, 2008
46 posts
Question: My mom had a heart attack in November of last year, Shes been on E.i ever since. her doctor doesnt want her going back to work until May or so. shes an RPN.

her E.I claim has dried up, and then she just handed in her second medical certificate to begin a new claim. her second/new claim is being denied. What is she suppose to do at this point? she still isnt healthy enough to go back to work and her workplace only does short term disability. is she suppose to file a claim with another government body or something?

thank you.
Oct 3, 2009
432 posts
122 upvotes
clseea wrote:
Feb 26th, 2018 12:58 pm
You're required to look for full time employment. Unless you only want to work part time and give up your benefits.
If you were previously working part time before receiving EI for childcare reasons would full time employment not be considered "unsuitable employment" due to personal circumstances?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)