Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2018 8:27 pm
Aug 23, 2017
3 posts
CPP and EI - I started collecting my pension a month ago. When my first cheque arrived, I dutifully noted "Yes" under the last question of the EI claim: "Have you received any other money?" I called the number and was informed EI would deduct $91 dollars a week until the expiration of my claim. Why? I thought CPP was my money.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8295 posts
1388 upvotes
Edmonton
Intotheblue12 wrote:
Feb 26th, 2018 3:52 pm
If you were previously working part time before receiving EI for childcare reasons would full time employment not be considered "unsuitable employment" due to personal circumstances?
You're restricting your own availability. Per the responsibilities you agreed to when you applied, you're required to be available for and actively looking for full time work
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8295 posts
1388 upvotes
Edmonton
Luken wrote:
Feb 26th, 2018 3:06 pm
Question: My mom had a heart attack in November of last year, Shes been on E.i ever since. her doctor doesnt want her going back to work until May or so. shes an RPN.

her E.I claim has dried up, and then she just handed in her second medical certificate to begin a new claim. her second/new claim is being denied. What is she suppose to do at this point? she still isnt healthy enough to go back to work and her workplace only does short term disability. is she suppose to file a claim with another government body or something?

thank you.
Her employer doesn't have any short or long term disability benefits? If not, she'll need to contact CPP for their long term benefits. She won't be eligible for anything else from EI if she's used up her 15 weeks of sick
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8295 posts
1388 upvotes
Edmonton
OrcaWhale wrote:
Feb 26th, 2018 4:29 pm
CPP and EI - I started collecting my pension a month ago. When my first cheque arrived, I dutifully noted "Yes" under the last question of the EI claim: "Have you received any other money?" I called the number and was informed EI would deduct $91 dollars a week until the expiration of my claim. Why? I thought CPP was my money.
It is your money but it's also insurable earnings like a job. Otherwise you're double dipping.
Dec 5, 2017
4 posts
Hi everyone,

I posted on here back in December (please see italics below).

I applied for EI benefits on December 8th, 2017 and submitted my antedate on December 12th, 2017 in person at Service Canada. I have yet to receive a decision. I finally gave up two weeks ago and called EI regarding my application and was given a call back. When I spoke to the agent, he told me that he would be making a decision on my file after the processing centre came to a decision regarding my antedate. We are now approaching the 3 month mark and I have exhausted almost all of my savings. Is there anything I can do to expedite the matter?

Upon closer review of my ROE, I have calculated that in the past 52 weeks prior to my submission for EI, I had accumulated 907 hours (total hours are 1700). I believe in Ontario this would exceed the minimum threshold, am I correct? Would that mean that I can qualify for EI without the antedate?

I am in the process of finalizing a job offer, which would mean I would be employed as of the end of March so the length of benefits isn't really a pressing concern, it is more my survival from now until I receive my first pay, which will be mid-April.

Any assistance anyone can offer in regards to this matter would be truly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Hi, any help I can receive on my question/situation would be most appreciated!

I worked at the same job for just over 4 years. I suffered a car accident in January, which left me disabled and unable to work. During this period I received payments from my car insurance company.

I was then terminated from my position (while still on disability leave) and received a 3 month severance package which began in mid-April. On my roe it states “terminated without cause”. I am now in the midst of a human rights complaint, which is heading to mediation in March of 2018.

I was not aware that I could apply for EI after being fired nor was I aware that I could qualify if I was in the midst of a human rights complaint. After consulting with another lawyer, it seems I can qualify for EI.

My question is, is it too late to apply and is there anything I can do to perhaps be granted EI on a special basis? Or perhaps appeal if I am denied?

Again, any help would be much appreciated.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8295 posts
1388 upvotes
Edmonton
Blindeyesssss wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 2:30 am
Hi everyone,

I posted on here back in December (please see italics below).

I applied for EI benefits on December 8th, 2017 and submitted my antedate on December 12th, 2017 in person at Service Canada. I have yet to receive a decision. I finally gave up two weeks ago and called EI regarding my application and was given a call back. When I spoke to the agent, he told me that he would be making a decision on my file after the processing centre came to a decision regarding my antedate. We are now approaching the 3 month mark and I have exhausted almost all of my savings. Is there anything I can do to expedite the matter?

Upon closer review of my ROE, I have calculated that in the past 52 weeks prior to my submission for EI, I had accumulated 907 hours (total hours are 1700). I believe in Ontario this would exceed the minimum threshold, am I correct? Would that mean that I can qualify for EI without the antedate?

I am in the process of finalizing a job offer, which would mean I would be employed as of the end of March so the length of benefits isn't really a pressing concern, it is more my survival from now until I receive my first pay, which will be mid-April.

Any assistance anyone can offer in regards to this matter would be truly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Hi, any help I can receive on my question/situation would be most appreciated!

I worked at the same job for just over 4 years. I suffered a car accident in January, which left me disabled and unable to work. During this period I received payments from my car insurance company.

I was then terminated from my position (while still on disability leave) and received a 3 month severance package which began in mid-April. On my roe it states “terminated without cause”. I am now in the midst of a human rights complaint, which is heading to mediation in March of 2018.

I was not aware that I could apply for EI after being fired nor was I aware that I could qualify if I was in the midst of a human rights complaint. After consulting with another lawyer, it seems I can qualify for EI.

My question is, is it too late to apply and is there anything I can do to perhaps be granted EI on a special basis? Or perhaps appeal if I am denied?

Again, any help would be much appreciated.
Quickest thing is to contact your local MP's office
Nov 24, 2011
61 posts
1 upvote
SCARBOROUGH
If an employer sends in an ROE electronically, how long is it supposed to take to show up on MSCA? My application is UNDER REVIEW and still says they are missing my latest ROE that I was told was submitted 2 weeks ago by my employer.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8295 posts
1388 upvotes
Edmonton
answer11 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 3:17 pm
If an employer sends in an ROE electronically, how long is it supposed to take to show up on MSCA? My application is UNDER REVIEW and still says they are missing my latest ROE that I was told was submitted 2 weeks ago by my employer.
It's usually the same day, maybe next day. Did they actually do it electronically?
Nov 24, 2011
61 posts
1 upvote
SCARBOROUGH
clseea wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 5:01 pm
It's usually the same day, maybe next day. Did they actually do it electronically?
This is what I was told, but I have my doubts. The employer also said they were having trouble getting the paper version of the ROE for the last 2 months before finding out it could be sent electronically, so it's felt like they are delaying or don't want to give me the ROE for whatever reason.
Feb 26, 2018
12 posts
i got laid off and received severence pay , service canada informed me that an EI will get start in next 6 months that is feb 17 2018 . The decision was made on service canada site. I was looking for a job and got one job and left that because company couldnt make my Id's to start my work and i just got the training. . Then i searched next new job and again laid of before my EI start , the ROE explains the reason as short of work. I got my pension funds $11000 and the pay around $5500 (both for the training and the last job) . My EI claim reactivated when i called service canada and explained that i am not working since jan 14,2018 , service canada informed me to do online reporting on feb 23 2018 and that i already made. My question is will all that situation like got the pension funds , started new job then left it and again started new job then got laid off before my first claim start impact my EI payments as indicated at the beginning , thanks for your consideration.
Sep 11, 2011
295 posts
90 upvotes
answer11 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 5:08 pm
This is what I was told, but I have my doubts. The employer also said they were having trouble getting the paper version of the ROE for the last 2 months before finding out it could be sent electronically, so it's felt like they are delaying or don't want to give me the ROE for whatever reason.
Set up a My Service Canada Account, go to ROE and see if it's there. If not, down load the Request for ROE form, fill it out, and if you have pay stubs copy them and take the form and copied pay stubs to your local Service Canada centre. They'll send it to the back office and go after the company for the ROE.
Oct 29, 2017
2 posts
1 upvote
Hi all,
A big thank you for all of your information on here. Its been extremely helpful.
Quick question- i am collecting regular benefits but soon will be out of canada for one week to attend my sisters wedding. I am just wondering if it matters how i report this as ive read different things and find it confusing. Are you supposed to call them ahead of time and tell them, fill out a travel form in advance on My Service Canada Account or just let them know through your bi-weekly report? Does it make any difference?
Also you are only not paid for the specific days you are gone right? I return on a tuesday so i will be available for work wed-fri, do you still get paid for those days or do you not get paid for the entire week?
Thank you again for all of your information.
Feb 26, 2018
12 posts
if laid off with severence pay and befor the waiting period ends collect pension funds i reported service canada then started new job and laid off again so will this pension funds and layoff again impact my EI payments that suppose to get after the waiting period?. Thanks
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4796 posts
623 upvotes
Toronto
jro300025849137 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 3:25 pm
Hi all,
A big thank you for all of your information on here. Its been extremely helpful.
Quick question- i am collecting regular benefits but soon will be out of canada for one week to attend my sisters wedding. I am just wondering if it matters how i report this as ive read different things and find it confusing. Are you supposed to call them ahead of time and tell them, fill out a travel form in advance on My Service Canada Account or just let them know through your bi-weekly report? Does it make any difference?
Also you are only not paid for the specific days you are gone right? I return on a tuesday so i will be available for work wed-fri, do you still get paid for those days or do you not get paid for the entire week?
Thank you again for all of your information.
On your reporting, you have to say "out of Canada" and "unavailable for work" on those days you attends your sister wedding.
Feb 26, 2018
12 posts
I got laid off with severence pay then filed claim. Canada services gave waiting period of 6 months. Before waiting period ends received pension funds from employer $10000 . What will be the impact on my regular EI benefits And what happens if found job earned some income laid off again Thanks.