Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2018 3:18 pm
Jan 16, 2013
50 posts
45 upvotes
Etobicoke
How do you request a copy of your file with Service Canada for an EI claim, more specifically the reasons as to why they approved the claim? Looking to get back my job when I was wrongfully dismissed.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8202 posts
1356 upvotes
Edmonton
rpage93 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2018 8:56 pm
How do you request a copy of your file with Service Canada for an EI claim, more specifically the reasons as to why they approved the claim? Looking to get back my job when I was wrongfully dismissed.
Call in and request a letter. Keep in mind that EI rulings aren't made according to Provincial Employment Standards Act.
Jan 16, 2013
50 posts
45 upvotes
Etobicoke
Thanks! I’ll ask them tomorrow.

I was federally regulated and my union hasn’t helped much. Service Canada basically agrees that I was wrongfully terminated and approved my claim since then.

I just want something to help my case, if the government can help me get my job back then my taxes have finally paid off in my favour.
clseea wrote:
Mar 1st, 2018 11:17 pm
Call in and request a letter. Keep in mind that EI rulings aren't made according to Provincial Employment Standards Act.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9193 posts
2728 upvotes
Calgary
rafay123 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2018 5:40 pm
I got laid off with severence pay then filed claim. Canada services gave waiting period of 6 months. Before waiting period ends received pension funds from employer $10000 . What will be the impact on my regular EI benefits And what happens if found job earned some income laid off again Thanks.
1. Most likely the $10k will be allocated to your 6 month allocation so your benefits will start later.

2. You can reapply after being laid off. If it is after your initial allocation (say 7 months), you can collect right away.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Feb 26, 2018
12 posts
Thanks , so do i need to complete some hours of work with the new employer to claim again after the initial allocation.
Apr 8, 2017
242 posts
75 upvotes
Maple Ridge
Hey all. I got the message "We cannot accept your report because our records show that you do not have an active claim for benefits." when trying to submit a claim today. I also just discovered my last payment was only half of what I had been getting on my claim.. I have been on EI since the beginning of october, and have 1,001 hours for EI... So i'm not sure why it has ended? It's past the time I can call, as well.

I could have sworn that I was informed I had quite a few more months than this on my claim..

Edit: On checking, I suppose it's possible that it ran out. Using their chart, having around 1000 hours of EI and being in the Vancouver area, it looks like the maximum number of weeks is 18.
Can you spare some cutter, me brother?
Banned
Mar 1, 2018
30 posts
4 upvotes
OrcaWhale wrote:
Feb 26th, 2018 4:29 pm
CPP and EI - I started collecting my pension a month ago. When my first cheque arrived, I dutifully noted "Yes" under the last question of the EI claim: "Have you received any other money?" I called the number and was informed EI would deduct $91 dollars a week until the expiration of my claim. Why? I thought CPP was my money.
If you were already on CPP & then applied for EI, you would have got both.

But because EI came first & then your CPP started they are cutting it from your EI. Try to go on CPP disability & it won't count.

http://www.unemploymentcanada.ca/will-p ... i-benefit/
Banned
Mar 1, 2018
30 posts
4 upvotes
Intotheblue12 wrote:
Feb 26th, 2018 3:52 pm
If you were previously working part time before receiving EI for childcare reasons would full time employment not be considered "unsuitable employment" due to personal circumstances?
Do whatever is easy & convenient & best for you & your family. If getting a FT job means unable to take care of your kids or paying ridiculous child care expenses, decline that FT job & keep on collecting EI till it expires.

Then get another PT job and if you get laid off from there, rinse & repeat the above. EI looks out for themselves & you look out for your own & your family.
Banned
Mar 1, 2018
30 posts
4 upvotes
When in doubt always apply for EI, you have nothing to lose. And fight for it if its a legitimate claim, its your right & you have paid into it. They are not doing you any favours. Of course I am talking about legitimate claims & not fraud or anything like that.

When they deny your legitimate claim, appeal the decision.

Lot of times EI is wrongly not given to eligible & legitimate applicants & after appealing they admit their mistake & give you EI.

Like car insurance, just because you have paid it doesn't mean you will get something back. But if you are NOT at fault & have a legitimate claim, you fight for it & get it, after the initial denial.

I used to work on the inside & I am in the know. We had a quota system at EI, when in came to pay outs. And only 40 % of eligible & legitimate EI applicants we used to pay out. Sad, but true. It was disgusting, but it is what it is.

Sadly I was part of it & even encouraged it as I was brainwashed by the EI system. The bonuses we used to get for denying legitimate EI claims & creating a surplus were legendary. But finally my morals, ethics & conscience got the better of me & I got out. We mostly used the low level Service Canada call centre employees to do our dirty work for us. We actually didn't care about them either, and we culled lot of them during the massive lay offs & reduced staff drastically, further increasing the processing times.

Our mandate was to create a surplus for EI, which we would then divert to other areas. This was of course under Harper, we had direct orders from the top. Things are slightly better under Trudeau, my former colleagues who are still there tell me that.

Most people would just blindly accept our decision, without fighting it as they were either intimidated by us or would blindly trust us & just assume that we were right or they would be extremely confused by the complicated EI laws & technicalities, which of course we would use to our advantage.

The ones who would fight for it, eventually we would give it to them after lot of stalling & denial tactics, hoping that they would give up along the way.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1728 posts
581 upvotes
swaticanada wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2018 9:57 pm
When in doubt always apply for EI, you have nothing to lose. And fight for it if its a legitimate claim, its your right & you have paid into it. They are not doing you any favours. Of course I am talking about legitimate claims & not fraud or anything like that.

When they deny your legitimate claim, appeal the decision.

Lot of times EI is wrongly not given to eligible & legitimate applicants & after appealing they admit their mistake & give you EI.

Like car insurance, just because you have paid it doesn't mean you will get something back. But if you are NOT at fault & have a legitimate claim, you fight for it & get it, after the initial denial.

I used to work on the inside & I am in the know. We had a quota system at EI, when in came to pay outs. And only 40 % of eligible & legitimate EI applicants we used to pay out. Sad, but true. It was disgusting, but it is what it is.

Sadly I was part of it & even encouraged it as I was brainwashed by the EI system. The bonuses we used to get for denying legitimate EI claims & creating a surplus were legendary. But finally my morals, ethics & conscience got the better of me & I got out. We mostly used the low level Service Canada call centre employees to do our dirty work for us. We actually didn't care about them either, and we culled lot of them during the massive lay offs & reduced staff drastically, further increasing the processing times.

Our mandate was to create a surplus for EI, which we would then divert to other areas. This was of course under Harper, we had direct orders from the top. Things are slightly better under Trudeau, my former colleagues who are still there tell me that.

Most people would just blindly accept our decision, without fighting it as they were either intimidated by us or would blindly trust us & just assume that we were right or they would be extremely confused by the complicated EI laws & technicalities, which of course we would use to our advantage.

The ones who would fight for it, eventually we would give it to them after lot of stalling & denial tactics, hoping that they would give up along the way.
Sorry, I said I wasn’t going to post in here for a while but this is complete and utter BS.

Unless you worked for the program like 30 years ago, this is absolutely not how the program is run these days.

People hold on to nonsense like this and then get it into their mind that the Government is out to get them.

This could not be further from the truth.

Oh and this is first hand knowledge from ‘somebody in the know’ who has actually worked there within the last 5 years.
Banned
Mar 1, 2018
30 posts
4 upvotes
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2018 11:22 pm
Sorry, I said I wasn’t going to post in here for a while but this is complete and utter BS.

Unless you worked for the program like 30 years ago, this is absolutely not how the program is run these days.

People hold on to nonsense like this and then get it into their mind that the Government is out to get them.

This could not be further from the truth.

Oh and this is first hand knowledge from ‘somebody in the know’ who has actually worked there within the last 5 years.
5 years ? That's it ?? I worked there much longer than that & I am pretty sure I worked on a much higher level than you, so no wonder you wrongly & falsely think its utter BS.

What I said about EI couldn't be closer to the truth. I even have some of the internal memos with me. I had to sign a gag order & confidentiality agreement, when I left on moral & ethical grounds, as I could not and would not do what they asked me to do. I refused to adhere by their quota system & asked the Service Canada employees who worked under me to do the same.

I am sorry the bitter truth about EI doesn't suit your agenda.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8202 posts
1356 upvotes
Edmonton
swaticanada wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2018 12:11 am
5 years ? That's it ?? I worked there much longer than that & I am pretty sure I worked on a much higher level than you, so no wonder you wrongly & falsely think its utter BS.

What I said about EI couldn't be closer to the truth. I even have some of the internal memos with me. I had to sign a gag order & confidentiality agreement, when I left on moral & ethical grounds, as I could not and would not do what they asked me to do. I refused to adhere by their quota system & asked the Service Canada employees who worked under me to do the same.

I am sorry the bitter truth about EI doesn't suit your agenda.
OMG didn't say he worked there for 5 years, read it again.

Anyways.......
There are a few posts left unanswered so the floor is yours. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would love to see what highly educated answers you come up with since you worked for Service Canada for years.

You must have been what, an FI-02? Maybe AS-03?

Have at it, I'd like to learn.
Banned
Mar 1, 2018
30 posts
4 upvotes
Right now I am helping dozens of laid off SEARS employees get EI.

Its pro bono work I am doing.

First SEARS screwed them & now EI is screwing them, which is really sad. EI has basically told them to take a hike, after having paid into the system for so long.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8202 posts
1356 upvotes
Edmonton
swaticanada wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2018 1:35 am
Right now I am helping dozens of laid off SEARS employees get EI.

Its pro bono work I am doing.

First SEARS screwed them & now EI is screwing them, which is really sad. EI has basically told them to take a hike, after having paid into the system for so long.
Neat. It should be pretty easy then to answer some questions in here right? This stuff is peanuts for someone with such a high classification like an FI-02 or AS-03 right?
Aug 20, 2009
6443 posts
1083 upvotes
Grimsby
There's been some bickering here and some incendiary assertions. I'm going to ask everyone to take a step back and remember what the spirit of the thread is. Please remember this is not a political thread.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)