• Mar 20th, 2019 8:20 pm
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9587 posts
3321 upvotes
Calgary
clseea wrote:
Sep 26th, 2012 3:04 pm
The image or whatever it is isn't showing.
Could be your waiting period... so you don't get paid.
Copy the image link and paste in on your browser. Here is the link: https://i.imgur.com/6uMmX.png
Autumne wrote:
Sep 26th, 2012 2:22 pm
Why aren't I get paid? :(

If it's relevant:

As the table shows, your severance pay and vacation pay is allocated from Sep 2-29. So your benefit won't kick in until mid October.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9587 posts
3321 upvotes
Calgary
lepage wrote:
Sep 26th, 2012 7:14 pm
Hi,
I would like to outline my scenario to see if my understanding is correct. I was just laid off, my office is closing, I am going to be 22 weeks pregnant when we close. I was offered severance, but my amount is being reviewed as they did not know I was pregnant when they prepared the amount.

Scenario 1: My severance pay is paid out in a lump sum, but is based on 15 weeks of my average earnings. I understand I will have to start a claim for regular benefits, which will be unpaid for 15 weeks. After that time I will be 37 weeks pregnant and can call and switch to maternity benefits, continuing on to parental benefits which will last 52 weeks (minus the waiting period).

Scenario 2: If they up my severance pay to 22 weeks of average earnings. I would start the claim for regular benefits. Call in when my baby is born to switch to maternity benefits, but will it remain unpaid until the 22 weeks of severance is over? After the 22 weeks of severance pay will I then still qualify for an additional 52 weeks of maternity/parental benefits?

Is there any advantage to going on sickness benefits before my baby is born? I know my doctor would agree to it, as I am high risk, but if the sickness pay would also have my severence deducted then I guess there is no difference to the type of benefit claimed?

Thank you!!
If you can go on sickness then maternity then parental, you can get up to 65 weeks of benefits. If you apply to regular then switch to maternity/parental, the maximum you get is 50 weeks only. Since you will be receiving a sizeable severance pay, there is no point to apply for regular benefit as you are not payable anyway.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9587 posts
3321 upvotes
Calgary
nesh82888 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2012 9:02 pm
Hi, b166er1337

You seem to be very knowledgable in EI. I am hoping you can help shed some light on the following question. I have been working for the last 5 years. I am married, I am living in Canada while my wife is overseas. I have already applied to sponsor my wife, however this process is long and could take some time. My wife is 3 months pregnant. Currently she is doing fine. However, towards her 3rd trimester she might not be able to perform all her daily task herself and might require assistance from me. She is currently living alone and does not have the help or assistance of any family member. If I leave my job during her final trimester to take care of her , can I apply for EI? I will have to travel overseas to take care of her and there is no way she can come over as she does not have a valid visa yet. Any input you can provide is much appreciated.
While you may have just cause for quitting the job, you won't be entitled to benefits while you're out of Canada. When you return to Canada, you can apply and I don't think you should have too much problem getting approved.
May 27, 2009
4 posts
b166er1337 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2012 9:48 pm
If you can go on sickness then maternity then parental, you can get up to 65 weeks of benefits. If you apply to regular then switch to maternity/parental, the maximum you get is 50 weeks only. Since you will be receiving a sizeable severance pay, there is no point to apply for regular benefit as you are not payable anyway.
Oh that would be good! So, even though I would have my baby just three weeks after the severance ends I would still be able to collect 65 weeks of benefits?
Apr 19, 2007
321 posts
1 upvote
Markham
Hey guys need a little help here. Here is my situation:

I recently left a job on the 15th. I started a new job on the 24th. The new job is short on hours I only worked on the 24th and 26th for 6 hrs each. The job is saying the hours will pick up mid October. May I eligible for EI, if so where can I contact a person to apply? Thanks in advance.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2009
1222 posts
377 upvotes
If I am working a contract as a supplemental employee it's a 1 year contract covering a maternity leave would I be eligible for EI if after the 1 year my company can't find work for me and I essentially separate from the company. I ask because I didn't think I would but on my paycheques I have EI deducted. Also I took about 18 weeks of ei this year between compassionate care and parental leave not sure if that would have any affect.

Thanks in advance
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8453 posts
1454 upvotes
Edmonton
lepage wrote:
Sep 26th, 2012 10:37 pm
Oh that would be good! So, even though I would have my baby just three weeks after the severance ends I would still be able to collect 65 weeks of benefits?
You'd only be able to collect parental benefits up until the baby's first birthday (unless you ran out before that time - whichever comes first.) To get 65 weeks, one would have to collect 15 weeks of sick benefits prior to the baby's birth, then 15 weeks of maternity, then 35 parental. Benefits should switch from sick to maternity once the baby is born (the rare case stays as sick benefits post-birth).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8453 posts
1454 upvotes
Edmonton
nesh82888 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2012 9:02 pm
Hi, b166er1337

You seem to be very knowledgable in EI. I am hoping you can help shed some light on the following question. I have been working for the last 5 years. I am married, I am living in Canada while my wife is overseas. I have already applied to sponsor my wife, however this process is long and could take some time. My wife is 3 months pregnant. Currently she is doing fine. However, towards her 3rd trimester she might not be able to perform all her daily task herself and might require assistance from me. She is currently living alone and does not have the help or assistance of any family member. If I leave my job during her final trimester to take care of her , can I apply for EI? I will have to travel overseas to take care of her and there is no way she can come over as she does not have a valid visa yet. Any input you can provide is much appreciated.
As an added note to this one, you'd only be able to qualify for parental benefits after the baby is born.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8453 posts
1454 upvotes
Edmonton
Jman85 wrote:
Sep 27th, 2012 12:15 am
Hey guys need a little help here. Here is my situation:

I recently left a job on the 15th. I started a new job on the 24th. The new job is short on hours I only worked on the 24th and 26th for 6 hrs each. The job is saying the hours will pick up mid October. May I eligible for EI, if so where can I contact a person to apply? Thanks in advance.
Probably need more information, but the short answer is no..... unless there was some promise of guaranteed full time hours and you specifically left the old job for the new job because of that promise, but now the new job is screwing you over
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8453 posts
1454 upvotes
Edmonton
u0dcameron wrote:
Sep 27th, 2012 12:44 am
If I am working a contract as a supplemental employee it's a 1 year contract covering a maternity leave would I be eligible for EI if after the 1 year my company can't find work for me and I essentially separate from the company. I ask because I didn't think I would but on my paycheques I have EI deducted. Also I took about 18 weeks of ei this year between compassionate care and parental leave not sure if that would have any affect.

Thanks in advance
Provided you have enough hours accumulated, you shouldn't have an issue qualifying. Doesn't matter if it's just to cover a maternity leave. If it's 40 hours/week for a full year, you won't have a problem qualifying for a new claim.
Apr 19, 2007
321 posts
1 upvote
Markham
clseea wrote:
Sep 27th, 2012 12:58 am
Probably need more information, but the short answer is no..... unless there was some promise of guaranteed full time hours and you specifically left the old job for the new job because of that promise, but now the new job is screwing you over
New job said mid October will be full time hours. On my previous job on my pay stub paper EI was getting deducted. Make any difference?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8453 posts
1454 upvotes
Edmonton
Jman85 wrote:
Sep 27th, 2012 1:30 am
New job said mid October will be full time hours. On my previous job on my pay stub paper EI was getting deducted. Make any difference?
No. You're still working, even though the hours are less than what you'd like... kind of the risk you take when you switch jobs. Doesn't seem to be any misrepresentation from the new employer. Pretty much every job has EI deductions, that doesn't mean you qualify to collect.
Sep 23, 2012
7 posts
Edmonton
Hi folks,
Just checked my ROE and it has code K and a comment in box 18 saying "contract ended". I selected "lack of work" when I applied. Is that going to be a problem? Shouldn't it say code A?
My first report has been processed and I don't seem to have any messages questioning it, BUT it was just received 2 days ago because my employer was slow. My contract ended at the end of August and this is my first time applying.

Thank you in advance for any info!
Sep 25, 2012
2 posts
ETOBICOKE
clseea wrote:
Sep 27th, 2012 12:53 am
As an added note to this one, you'd only be able to qualify for parental benefits after the baby is born.
Would I be entitled for parental benefits if my baby is born outside of canada?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9587 posts
3321 upvotes
Calgary
lguser44 wrote:
Sep 27th, 2012 7:22 pm
Hi folks,
Just checked my ROE and it has code K and a comment in box 18 saying "contract ended". I selected "lack of work" when I applied. Is that going to be a problem? Shouldn't it say code A?
My first report has been processed and I don't seem to have any messages questioning it, BUT it was just received 2 days ago because my employer was slow. My contract ended at the end of August and this is my first time applying.

Thank you in advance for any info!
There is no issue with your application; your employer code it wrong. However, it will take time for EI to process your claim manually as any claim with code K can not be automated.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

ocallaghand