EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 21st, 2018 3:03 am
Mar 4, 2018
41 posts
10 upvotes
imsiin wrote:
Mar 5th, 2018 5:42 am
Hello everyone like the above poster I'm very grateful for this forum topic , it's been very helpful.

So my question is I'm unemployed and on a current claim that ends in a couple months but I have this reoccurring injury (Knee,back) Could I switch my claim from regular ei to sickness benefits ? If a doctor puts me off for 4-6 weeks do I need a form from ei or can I just go thru the automated system and choose not ready able to work > reason injury ? Since obviously I can't look for work or work if I'm injured.

Thanks
If you get a doctor's note, you will probably qualify for sickness benefits (maximum 15 weeks). You can still be paid benefits from EI if you are on a regular claim and are sick/injured, but you may be asked to provide a doctor's note. This is assuming you still have weeks left in your benefit period (you can see the amount on your My Service Canada Account). If you do not have any weeks left (or not enough weeks to cover your recovery time (determined by your doctor)) in your benefit period, you would need to apply for a new claim. In this case, you need to have worked at least 600 hours since the start of your previous claim. Either way, get a doctor's note.
Last edited by cat7kk2 on Mar 5th, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 4, 2018
41 posts
10 upvotes
eithrowaway wrote:
Mar 5th, 2018 2:53 pm
I applied Jan 31 and have yet to receive a decision.

When I first applied, I got some mail a few days later giving me an access code to register for My Service Canada. I don't recall the letter having any information other than that, I shredded it immediately after I registered for My Service Canada.

I've read in a few places that I'm supposed to have received a "benefit statement" along with another access code that would let me make my reports online? I haven't received anything like that. Am I supposed to get it (and start making reports) even though my application doesn't have a decision? Or will they not send it until a decision has been reached?

Thanks
It sounds like you shredded the access code you need to complete your reports online. Call them up, tell them you accidentally shredded your access code. They will ask you other security questions and give you a new code.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8258 posts
1380 upvotes
Edmonton
imsiin wrote:
Mar 5th, 2018 5:42 am
Hello everyone like the above poster I'm very grateful for this forum topic , it's been very helpful.

So my question is I'm unemployed and on a current claim that ends in a couple months but I have this reoccurring injury (Knee,back) Could I switch my claim from regular ei to sickness benefits ? If a doctor puts me off for 4-6 weeks do I need a form from ei or can I just go thru the automated system and choose not ready able to work > reason injury ? Since obviously I can't look for work or work if I'm injured.

Thanks
If you can't work why are you collecting regular benefits?
Mar 5, 2018
1 posts
Recently I was fired. I was denied EI because the person who reviewed my file and received evidence from my employer determined there was clearly just cause.

My questions are about the process itself. I have lots more information to defend myself proving that there was no just cause. Yet during the online process, I was asked very specific questions and had room to type out my reasons. But I had much more to say and offer. Did I miss something, I don't recall an option to file attach documents and things?.

The process seems to unfairly pigeon hole the responses. With not being able to fully express my opinions and offer supporting documents, I'm at the agent's mercy for him/hers opinion. Tha's another thing, it sounds like only one agent looks at the whole file? So I'm put in immediate financial distress while awaiting a Reconsideration filing which finally can receive all my side of things.

The EI agent who phoned to give me the denial news only stated I was denied, she never offered why she thought this. She also did not seem interested at all in what I had to say. In fact she cruelly speculated that I would probably loose my Employment Standards Act appeal to get my severance. Something she had no business saying. I've requested an apology.
Jan 14, 2018
5 posts
1 upvote
Thank you cat7kk2!
One more question in regards to the RRSP, I'm guessing it's not considered a personal RRSP as it was made by my last employer and mainly contributed to by my employer. It's a group RRSP and further called 'RBC savings deposit' under the bank it was created in.

Is this still a personal RRSP? If this is not a personal RRSP, then I DO need to claim on my EI reports, correct?
Mar 6, 2018
1 posts
I have a question I'm on the last month of my parental leave and there was a mistake made on my claim last year January 2017. i was on sickness benifits and the system paid me one week regular(which I did not ask for). So January 2018 they paid me my final payment which wasn't supposed to be until March 27th. I was told 21 days then 5 additional days then 2 then 1 I have waited well over that now my last payment was January 16th. I have been very nice when I call in and I'm to call tomorrow and now I'm past the point of mad. What can I do
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8258 posts
1380 upvotes
Edmonton
NatashaB863834 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 3:26 am
I have a question I'm on the last month of my parental leave and there was a mistake made on my claim last year January 2017. i was on sickness benifits and the system paid me one week regular(which I did not ask for). So January 2018 they paid me my final payment which wasn't supposed to be until March 27th. I was told 21 days then 5 additional days then 2 then 1 I have waited well over that now my last payment was January 16th. I have been very nice when I call in and I'm to call tomorrow and now I'm past the point of mad. What can I do
Contact your MP's office

Keep in mind the only way you were paid regular was if you misreported your sick benefits..ie you accidentally reported you were able to work. You completed the report, the system didn't do the report for you
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8258 posts
1380 upvotes
Edmonton
whytenoise wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 6:05 pm
So I have a question regards to searching for work. I am on EI because my normal job slowed right down because of weather, and economy. I did send out resumes to jobs, temp agencies whatever. I just got told my work is starting up in either 3 weeks or possibly much less. 3 weeks is the max, but with the weather getting so much better another guy me and my boss work for might be starting up much sooner. Do I still need to look for work when I have work coming up so quickly? At this point it seems really stupid to apply for a job that I will be quitting immediately. I can't even get work at temp agencies anyways because they need people with driver's licenses and fork lift licenses. So really I am just curious if I should bother filling out more applications to jobs that I will quit within the next couple weeks.
Yes, you're required to look for work. The job could fall through, you could find something better.

Your job is to look for work if you're collecting benefits.
Jan 18, 2013
8 posts
I have 3 or 4 weeks left of EI benefits while working part-time. I have plenty of hours from last year plus the part-time hours for a new claim. Very unfortunately I will soon have to undergo chemotherapy for 2 months and then some recovery time and of course I will have a medical certificate. I would like to know the most efficient way to transition to a sickness claim for my case. (1) Fill out the next report that will include sick days and follow the requests about calling or sending in medical certificate? Or (2) Call to cancel my soon to expire claim after the current report which won't have any sick days yet and then open a new EI sickness claim after I have to be off and unable to work?
Feb 4, 2017
134 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
Hello,

My wife's Maternal benefits are expiring this month. She is not planning to return to work until July/August wince we have a trip planned for May. Can she apply for regular EI until she gets her job back (or until she gets another job?)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8258 posts
1380 upvotes
Edmonton
Kuya101 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 1:33 pm
I have 3 or 4 weeks left of EI benefits while working part-time. I have plenty of hours from last year plus the part-time hours for a new claim. Very unfortunately I will soon have to undergo chemotherapy for 2 months and then some recovery time and of course I will have a medical certificate. I would like to know the most efficient way to transition to a sickness claim for my case. (1) Fill out the next report that will include sick days and follow the requests about calling or sending in medical certificate? Or (2) Call to cancel my soon to expire claim after the current report which won't have any sick days yet and then open a new EI sickness claim after I have to be off and unable to work?
When will you be unable to work? Whenever that is, declare sick on your reports if you only have a couple weeks left on your claim. If you have more than 4 weeks available then you should be converting your claim to sick. Don't cancel your current claim.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8258 posts
1380 upvotes
Edmonton
Hiotosan wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 2:05 pm
Hello,

My wife's Maternal benefits are expiring this month. She is not planning to return to work until July/August wince we have a trip planned for May. Can she apply for regular EI until she gets her job back (or until she gets another job?)
If she's collected 15 weeks of maternity and 35 weeks parental she can't collect regular benefits. If she's collected fewer, when is she available and actively looking for work? If she can't go back to work immediately after her leave because she's going on a vacation then she can't expect to collect regular benefits.
Jan 28, 2017
24 posts
20 upvotes
I am planning to leave my current job at a private high school to work at a school in northern Ontario. My current school has summer school in July and August, but the northern school has training for 2 weeks in July (unpaid), and then I would be leaving for the last week of August.

My current employer wouldn't keep me on to work half a semester in July (2 weeks), then 3/4 a semester in August (3 weeks).

It's unlikely I would find a job for 2 weeks in July, then 3 weeks in August.

Would I qualify for EI?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8258 posts
1380 upvotes
Edmonton
jackisbuying wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 11:03 pm
I am planning to leave my current job at a private high school to work at a school in northern Ontario. My current school has summer school in July and August, but the northern school has training for 2 weeks in July (unpaid), and then I would be leaving for the last week of August.

My current employer wouldn't keep me on to work half a semester in July (2 weeks), then 3/4 a semester in August (3 weeks).

It's unlikely I would find a job for 2 weeks in July, then 3 weeks in August.

Would I qualify for EI?
Are you a teacher?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)