• Sep 5th, 2007 7:58 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 22, 2006
141 posts
2 upvotes

EI questions

I was filling online reports for EI insurance.
One of the questions asks if you were willing and/or capable to work during certain week. If I say no does it mean that I won't get EI benefits for that week? The thing is that I was willing to work but was not capable due our relocation to another place.

Thanks,
7 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2007
1075 posts
8 upvotes
Markham
RedDeer17 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2007 4:50 pm
I was filling online reports for EI insurance.
One of the questions asks if you were willing and/or capable to work during certain week. If I say no does it mean that I won't get EI benefits for that week? The thing is that I was willing to work but was not capable due our relocation to another place.

Thanks,
Unable to work means you will not get EI for that week. You may have that extra week of EI tacked on to the end of your period of EI eligibility if you have a good excuse (and moving probably is a good excuse). So you will not get paid now, but if you don't find work, you can get your EI extended by that week. This is as far as I know, according to my friend's experience with the system.
[OP]
Dec 22, 2006
141 posts
2 upvotes
notanexpert wrote:
Sep 5th, 2007 5:25 pm
Unable to work means you will not get EI for that week. .
First of all 2 weeks of "waiting period" Don't be confused by word waiting. You'll get nothing for these weeks. Then they penalize you for being honest.
How do they see able to work on the next day after relocation especially if you have small kids :-(
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1860 posts
141 upvotes
RedDeer17 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2007 5:59 pm
First of all 2 weeks of "waiting period" Don't be confused by word waiting. You'll get nothing for these weeks. Then they penalize you for being honest.
How do they see able to work on the next day after relocation especially if you have small kids :-(
they don't penalize you... they pay you IF you are looking for work. If you say you don't want to work in any given week... why should my tax dollars pay you to do nothing?

Sorry bud... no disrespect.. but you aren't getting the short end of the stick here!
Dec 15, 2003
649 posts
Vancouver
mcewen wrote:
Sep 5th, 2007 6:11 pm
they don't penalize you... they pay you IF you are looking for work. If you say you don't want to work in any given week... why should my tax dollars pay you to do nothing?

Sorry bud... no disrespect.. but you aren't getting the short end of the stick here!
I don't know if they're your tax dollars, he paid into EI for however long too.
Banned
Jun 28, 2007
828 posts
mirek wrote:
Sep 5th, 2007 6:24 pm
I don't know if they're your tax dollars, he paid into EI for however long too.
Put it this way.Would you want to pay for people to stay home and do jack.
Dec 15, 2003
649 posts
Vancouver
Bytown wrote:
Sep 5th, 2007 7:07 pm
Put it this way.Would you want to pay for people to stay home and do jack.
Didn't he pay into his EI every paycheque? I know I do, 80$ a month. And if you move, your EI earnings do not travel with you.

I say sure, get them to pay you an extra week, you deserve it. You worked hard for it :)
[OP]
Dec 22, 2006
141 posts
2 upvotes
mcewen wrote:
Sep 5th, 2007 6:11 pm
If you say you don't want to work in any given week
Did you read original post? The trick is that willing and capable they put in one sentence.