Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
3707 posts
2254 upvotes
Toronto

EI reporting question help

Hey I need some help with EI reporting questions. This is the first time I'm doing the reporting online..
My last work date was August 26th, and the last day that I got paid was September 10th(my last paycheque).

On the Service Canada website it notes that my report is for the period August 30th-September 12th. 2 questions I'm confused about:

1) Did you work or receive any earnings during the period of this report? This includes work for which you will be paid later, unpaid work or self-employment.
Choose YES if you worked, whether or not you received wages from an employer during the period of this report.

I would have said "YES" since I received earnings during the period(my last pay date was September 10th) but then their next statement "Choose YES if you worked...during the period of this report" through me off

2) Is there any other money that you have not previously told us about, that you received or will receive for the period of this report?
Choose YES if you have received money in addition to what you have already declared on this report. Some examples are a bonus, vacation pay, severance pay, pay in lieu of notice etc..

Again I'm not sure if I should choose "Yes" or "No" for my situation..I guess it depends on how I answered the first question

Yeah I sound a bit paranoid since this is my first time! :D

Thanks for all the help!
19 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2003
1332 posts
2707 upvotes
Scarborough
Spiderpal93 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2009 2:09 am
Hey I need some help with EI reporting questions. This is the first time I'm doing the reporting online..
My last work date was August 26th, and the last day that I got paid was September 10th(my last paycheque).

On the Service Canada website it notes that my report is for the period August 30th-September 12th. 2 questions I'm confused about:

1) Did you work or receive any earnings during the period of this report? This includes work for which you will be paid later, unpaid work or self-employment.
Choose YES if you worked, whether or not you received wages from an employer during the period of this report.

I would have said "YES" since I received earnings during the period(my last pay date was September 10th) but then their next statement "Choose YES if you worked...during the period of this report" through me off

2) Is there any other money that you have not previously told us about, that you received or will receive for the period of this report?
Choose YES if you have received money in addition to what you have already declared on this report. Some examples are a bonus, vacation pay, severance pay, pay in lieu of notice etc..

Again I'm not sure if I should choose "Yes" or "No" for my situation..I guess it depends on how I answered the first question

Yeah I sound a bit paranoid since this is my first time! :D

Thanks for all the help!
This is a total guess, but I think if your RoE indicates that your last day of employment was Aug. 26 and if the RoE's calculation for your total pay over the past 'x' number of weeks worked already includes your last paycheque (that you received on Sept. 10), then you did not work nor receive any earnings during your reporting period. Which would mean that you answer "No" to both questions. However, since that reporting period is pretty much equal to the two-week waiting period before you can start drawing benefits (assuming you applied after your last day worked), I don't think you're going to be getting any EI payment anyway.

This is all just my interpretation and I am definitely not an expert in this stuff. :lol: edit... I would recommend calling Service Canada for clarification!
RFD Member # 3476!
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
1100 posts
25 upvotes
Say NO as you haven't worked after Aug 26 .

The pay you got on Sep 10 is just your regular bi-weekly cheque for work done before Aug 26 & not after .

Don't worry about it , worse come to worse if they overpay you they will just ask you to pay them that amt back ( retroactive ) at a later date .
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
3707 posts
2254 upvotes
Toronto
freebie wrote:
Sep 12th, 2009 3:32 am
This is a total guess, but I think if your RoE indicates that your last day of employment was Aug. 26 and if the RoE's calculation for your total pay over the past 'x' number of weeks worked already includes your last paycheque (that you received on Sept. 10), then you did not work nor receive any earnings during your reporting period. Which would mean that you answer "No" to both questions. However, since that reporting period is pretty much equal to the two-week waiting period before you can start drawing benefits (assuming you applied after your last day worked), I don't think you're going to be getting any EI payment anyway.

This is all just my interpretation and I am definitely not an expert in this stuff. :lol: edit... I would recommend calling Service Canada for clarification!
tjthemanto wrote:
Sep 12th, 2009 4:37 am
Say NO as you haven't worked after Aug 26 .

The pay you got on Sep 10 is just your regular bi-weekly cheque for work done before Aug 26 & not after .

Don't worry about it , worse come to worse if they overpay you they will just ask you to pay them that amt back ( retroactive ) at a later date .
Alright! Thanks for the help!!!
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2008
4934 posts
61 upvotes
Richmond Hill
always answer:

NO

NO

NO

YES

NO

or you wont get paid :D
York Region is best region!
Apr 18, 2005
248 posts
1 upvote
Akraz wrote:
Sep 12th, 2009 10:46 am
always answer:

NO

NO

NO

YES

NO

or you wont get paid :D
dont listen to this goof. if you physically worked during the period of the report say yes..if you worked 5 hours at 10 dollars an hour/ day for 3 days then you would put in 150 if that is all you worked for the period of that report. its not asking you when you were paid the money its asking when you physically worked for it.
Apr 18, 2005
248 posts
1 upvote
the second question is more geared towards if you have recently received vacation pay or severance pay or wage loss insurance or wsib or somemthing like that from a previous employer that was PAID to you during the period of that report. if you select yes, you will be asked to call a number to clarify where this 'other money' came from. if you did not receive any money OTHER than what you physically worked for select no

hope it helps
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2008
4934 posts
61 upvotes
Richmond Hill
jokerstone wrote:
Sep 12th, 2009 10:50 am
dont listen to this goof. if you physically worked during the period of the report say yes..if you worked 5 hours at 10 dollars an hour/ day for 3 days then you would put in 150 if that is all you worked for the period of that report. its not asking you when you were paid the money its asking when you physically worked for it.
It wasn't supposed to be taken literally.. lol. Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.
York Region is best region!
Dec 22, 2007
30 posts
jokerstone wrote:
Sep 12th, 2009 10:52 am
the second question is more geared towards if you have recently received vacation pay or severance pay or wage loss insurance or wsib or somemthing like that from a previous employer that was PAID to you during the period of that report. if you select yes, you will be asked to call a number to clarify where this 'other money' came from. if you did not receive any money OTHER than what you physically worked for select no

hope it helps
So basically if we received a severance during this period, we'll have to say yes to the question "Is there any other money that you have not previously told us about, that you received or will receive for the period of this report?" ? And call them to confirm?
Dec 29, 2009
1 posts
Ajax, Ontario
Hi,

I've been reporting my E.I since July... and it's December already. Until when will I report? When can I have my benefits? I'm a little bit confuse. Pls help! thanks!

:(
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
3821 posts
329 upvotes
Barrys Bay
jackiesolomonzero wrote:
Dec 30th, 2009 10:24 am
Hi,

I've been reporting my E.I since July... and it's December already. Until when will I report? When can I have my benefits? I'm a little bit confuse. Pls help! thanks!

Call them ASAP, something is up with your case and may require more info from employer or did you not send ROE form to Kingston????

Once you get approved they will back pay you minus 2 weeks.

You can also check you status online if you have a Service Canada account http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/online/mysca.shtml if you don't you just need info from your past 1-2 income tax returns to setup account.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6907 posts
338 upvotes
theguyz wrote:
Dec 30th, 2009 10:37 am
Call them ASAP, something is up with your case and may require more info from employer or did you not send ROE form to Kingston????

Once you get approved they will back pay you minus 2 weeks.

You can also check you status online if you have a Service Canada account http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/online/mysca.shtml if you don't you just need info from your past 1-2 income tax returns to setup account.
Happened to my dad as well. The person will definitely need to call and it may need to get escalated several times before his first check arrives. This mess took us two weeks to get corrected because of the escalation window time frames. Call them now!
Mar 7, 2006
64 posts
6 upvotes
Kitchener
jackiesolomonzero wrote:
Dec 30th, 2009 10:24 am
Hi,

Are you asking how long you will collect EI for or how long until you receive money? If you are actually receiving EI money right now you just need to log into your service canada account and look at your claim. It will tell you how long your claim is and when it ends. I filed for EI in July and my claim ends Novemeber 2010 (actually, since I'm getting the long tentured workers training allowance it won't end until May or June 2011 but that won't show up on my claim until after November 2010, confusing but that's service canada for you).

If you actually haven't received any money at all you really need to contact Service Canada. Unless you are getting a really big severance payment you should have received some kind of money by now.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2009
1297 posts
2 upvotes
Waterloo
blinded99 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2009 7:34 am
I filed for EI in July and my claim ends Novemeber 2010 (actually, since I'm getting the long tentured workers training allowance it won't end until May or June 2011 but that won't show up on my claim until after November 2010, confusing but that's service canada for you).
Wait a sec, I thought you could receive EI for a maximum of 52 weeks? What is this long term training allowance you are mentioning?
Mar 7, 2006
64 posts
6 upvotes
Kitchener
Quiggie wrote:
Dec 31st, 2009 9:11 pm
Wait a sec, I thought you could receive EI for a maximum of 52 weeks? What is this long term training allowance you are mentioning?
Service Canada has implemented a couple of changes that allow people that meet their criteria of being a "long tenured worker" to have extensions on their EI claim. With these changes I end up qualifying for 104 weeks of EI.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/goc/ltw/index.shtml This is the program that extends my claim to November of 2010. This isn't related to training so anyone collecting EI who qualifies would be entitled to it. http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/f ... tion.shtml This one combines with my Second Career funding and means I will collect EI until I am finished my training and therefore I don't need to have a living allowance from MTCU while I am attending school.
× < >