EI / Service Canada - Out of Country / Visiting US by car from Canada

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2016 3:28 am
May 11, 2013
43 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto

EI / Service Canada - Out of Country / Visiting US by car from Canada

Just how efficient is this new tracking by the Canada border patrol, per the "Beyond the Border" initiative with the US and Canada sharing information, I think implemented this year but not sure. Does EI really know if you've crossed into the US by car? Has anyone run into this? I was supposed to go on vacation Dec 4th but deferred it to the following week as there was a chance they'd keep me on, but they didn't - my last day was Dec 4th. The vacation was a drive to the US, which is during the "two week wait period" for EI (where you don't get paid, like a deductible). Should I have started my claim as of AFTER I got back, or do the dates need to line up with the ROE? i.e. last day of work Dec 4th. How does it work with vacatoin in the US during the "wait period"? Not sure how this all works.
Last edited by Guest67342580 on Dec 29th, 2016 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
7 replies
May 11, 2013
43 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for your opinion, but not relevant to my question (s).
Banned
Jul 18, 2016
2014 posts
786 upvotes
They were tracking this carefully as long ago as 2011. 5 years later, I am sure they're even more efficient. I suggest you play it straight with them. Definitely don't lie when the automated system asks you if you left the country during the reporting period.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/12/04 ... 28358.html
May 11, 2013
43 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks all. For the record, there's no question the dates away won't be disclosed, but I'm asking the best way to file my EI claim. I had delayed my vacation to suit my employer, but they let me go earlier than anticipated to avoid paying me vacation time, I'm guessing. Therefore my vacation falls in the "2 week wait period". To get my maximum benefit, should I START my claim AFTER my vacation ends ----> can I even do that? ----> or does the time on vacation eat away at the 37 weeks of benefit I've been notified I'm eligible for?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2781 posts
2300 upvotes
Winnipeg
kipperbernie wrote: Thanks all. For the record, there's no question the dates away won't be disclosed, but I'm asking the best way to file my EI claim. I had delayed my vacation to suit my employer, but they let me go earlier than anticipated to avoid paying me vacation time, I'm guessing. Therefore my vacation falls in the "2 week wait period". To get my maximum benefit, should I START my claim AFTER my vacation ends ----> can I even do that? ----> or does the time on vacation eat away at the 37 weeks of benefit I've been notified I'm eligible for?
Start your claim the day you were terminated. Click "Not available to work" as you were out of the country. Don't lie....it will catch up with you and no one on RFD will help you break the law. Do not delay starting your claim - that will raise alarms as well.

Any vacation pay you were paid at termination will decrease the amount of benefits you receive.
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
Your last day of employment, is the date your employer files on the ROE.
Service Canada gets a report from CBSA and will know when you left Canada.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
1836 posts
1399 upvotes
TORONTO
You should always file your claim immediately. Go do it now. Every day you wait can reduce your benefits. The govt even says so ( https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... nefit.html ):
Always apply for EI benefits as soon as you stop working.
You can even file online: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... nline.html

Go do it now. You can file even if your employer hasn't provided you with the record of employment.