Elantra accelerator briefly stopped working on the freeway

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2017 11:14 pm
[OP]
Jul 12, 2017
16 posts
5 upvotes

Elantra accelerator briefly stopped working on the freeway

Hi. While I was driving my 2013 Elantra on 407 today, the car swerving light by my odometer started to flash and my accelerator briefly stopped working and then worked right after. It did this a few times until I pulled over to the side, turned off my engine and turned it back on after a minute. I tried going through the Hyundai forums but no one seems to know anything about it. Did anybody else have this issue? I'm going to take the damn car back to the dealer and thankfully I'm still under my warranty. This is atrocious. These stupid Elantras come with so many problems.

But yea if anyone knows anything about this sort of problem, I'd like to learn more.
32 replies
Dec 25, 2006
223 posts
106 upvotes
Winnipeg
Something is wrong with the car's anti-skid/traction control/vehicle stability control. Could be g-sensors, abs sensors or any number of things. Good luck getting it fixed if it isn't happening when you take it in to a shop.(unless there's a repair/recall bulletin on it)
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
1965 posts
896 upvotes
Montreal
Does that year have drive by wire throttle or still cable linked?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16270 posts
4926 upvotes
Ottawa
Traction control is kicking in.
Turn it off, for the time being.
[OP]
Jul 12, 2017
16 posts
5 upvotes
And then do what? Am I not able to drive it? You think I should have it towed to the dealer?
Jun 19, 2009
774 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
Was there a patch of water or something that you hit at high speed that may have triggered the light indicating traction/stability control? You should be able to turn it off and continue to drive it without any issues. The traction/stability control system just won't kick in to assist you anymore in case of any traction loss to apply brakes/cut throttle for you, which shouldn't be much of a problem since's not winter. It is best you get it looked at though.
Jun 19, 2009
774 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
If it came on because you hit a patch of water that was deep enough to drag one side of your car enough to cause the light to turn on then it is functioning fine and you just need to read up about the safety systems of your vehicle.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18895 posts
4118 upvotes
Toronto
Hydoplaning and/or due to balding tires ?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
8124 posts
824 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
So this happened while you were driving in heavy rain today?

if so then the car is working fine, it cut power because your tires were slipping & had no traction (probably in deep water like a puddle). You may have cheap or worn out tires which would cause this, does not sound like there is an issue with the car.
omaroz92 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 6:23 pm
There was heavy rainfall in Toronto.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Jun 19, 2009
774 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
Cars with AWD systems still have traction/stability control systems so no it would not be any different. AWD is more for redistributing power to wheels that have traction while stability/traction control is all about cutting power to maintain control.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5118 posts
772 upvotes
[..]

sounds like you slipped, lost traction and your car corrected and saved you without you noticing.
Last edited by MrDisco on Aug 12th, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No need for that
[OP]
Jul 12, 2017
16 posts
5 upvotes
No. [..]. None of that happened.
Last edited by MrDisco on Aug 12th, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No need for that
Dec 25, 2006
223 posts
106 upvotes
Winnipeg
milolai wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 8:32 pm
[..]

sounds like you slipped, lost traction and your car corrected and saved you without you noticing.
I guess you didn't actually read his original post. It happened multiple times until he pulled over and cycled the ignition.
Last edited by MrDisco on Aug 12th, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote edited