• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2017 11:14 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5090 posts
731 upvotes
warpdwhim wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 10:10 pm
I guess you didn't actually read his original post. It happened multiple times until he pulled over and cycled the ignition.
there was heavy rain.
he was probably hydroplaning
[..]
Last edited by MrDisco on Aug 12th, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No need for that
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3599 posts
641 upvotes
Alberta
morpheus_1987 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 8:02 pm
Cars with AWD systems still have traction/stability control systems so no it would not be any different. AWD is more for redistributing power to wheels that have traction while stability/traction control is all about cutting power to maintain control.
x2.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3846 posts
2459 upvotes
GTA
OP, sounds like you were driving in the rain through puddles and either you were going too fast for the conditions or your tires are low on tread. If you have the same issues in the dry, then maybe your ABS sensor is failing or the tone ring it senses is damaged.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12325 posts
1279 upvotes
Toronto
the car was designed to do that. That's why you couldnt find any info on it. lol. Sort of like asking why my ABS kicks in when I'm braking in heavy snow.
Nov 28, 2013
961 posts
263 upvotes
London, ON
like others have stated the esc kicked in, and you somewhat lose throttle response .
happens in snow too, and the car corrects itself.. while it is correct itself you sometimes lose input so your car doesn't go crazy
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5400 posts
969 upvotes
???
The indicator you saw was the stability control indicator that kicked in. Stability control cuts off all power by electronically deactivating the throttle. The design is so during limited traction events where the abs wheel speed sensors detect high amounts of traction loss through sudden delta of wheel speed on one wheel compared to other wheels, it will cut power so the wheel doesn't get more power and continue to slip more. By cutting off engine power the wheel will reduce in speed and come back into the range of traction capable from the tires for the current condition.

Based on what you have said, it's quite possible that a hydroplane situation was occurring.

Contrary to popular belief you do not have to hit large puddles to hydroplane.

As long as there is more water than the tire is able to displace then a hydroplane condition will occur.

Simple formula is this.

Amount of water : Tires ability to displace water : Speed

This is what happened to you:

More speed + condition of tire = less amount of water displaced = no traction

Have your tire tread depth checked, if it's below 4/32nd it's ability to displace water at higher speeds is greatly reduced from even 6/32nd. Tire wear vs performance is not linear it is exponential. That means if tire tread is at 50% of its new life, does not mean operates at 50% reduced performance. It's closer to 70%
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5400 posts
969 upvotes
???
However if your issue still occurs in dry conditions at the same relative velocities then you might have an issue with the abs speed sensors.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20876 posts
1873 upvotes
warpdwhim wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 5:45 pm
Something is wrong with the car's anti-skid/traction control/vehicle stability control. Could be g-sensors, abs sensors or any number of things. Good luck getting it fixed if it isn't happening when you take it in to a shop.(unless there's a repair/recall bulletin on it)
What kind of g sensor is in an Elantra?
Dec 25, 2006
211 posts
100 upvotes
Winnipeg
Kasakato wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 6:42 am
What kind of g sensor is in an Elantra?
They're also called yaw sensors. All part of a vehicle's stability control.
May 17, 2012
822 posts
300 upvotes
grand valley
the accelerator did not work because that's what the traction control system does. it cuts power to the wheels.

whether the traction control system kicked on like it was designed or there's a fault in it, you need to figure that out.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3846 posts
2459 upvotes
GTA
omaroz92 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 12:12 pm
You could help by providing actual information instead of vague answers.

Were you driving on wet roads when this occurred? Has it ever happened on dry roads?
Last edited by MrDisco on Aug 13th, 2017 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote was removed
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10362 posts
2064 upvotes
GTA
omaroz92 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 5:38 pm
These stupid Elantras come with so many problems.

Got mine Nov 2011, have put 180,000kms on it. NOT ONE ISSUE.

Next door neighbour has a slightly newer one, she's approaching 100k, no issues at all.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
1041 posts
357 upvotes
Kitchener. Ontario
Hugh Jass wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 1:44 pm
Got mine Nov 2011, have put 180,000kms on it. NOT ONE ISSUE.

Next door neighbour has a slightly newer one, she's approaching 100k, no issues at all.
I owned my 13 Hyundai Elantra for 2 years. In that time, Hyundai paid out $14,000 in Warranty repairs.
Feb 6, 2011
941 posts
508 upvotes
omaroz92 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 5:38 pm
Hi. While I was driving my 2013 Elantra on 407 today, the car swerving light by my odometer started to flash and my accelerator briefly stopped working and then worked right after. It did this a few times until I pulled over to the side, turned off my engine and turned it back on after a minute. I tried going through the Hyundai forums but no one seems to know anything about it. Did anybody else have this issue? I'm going to take the damn car back to the dealer and thankfully I'm still under my warranty. This is atrocious. These stupid Elantras come with so many problems.

But yea if anyone knows anything about this sort of problem, I'd like to learn more.
If you don't think it was due to normal operation caused by skidding/slipping, there was a recall on the 2012 models for the esc system for a similar symptom. If yours is a 2013, its possible that it may be an early build 2013 that can use carryover 2012 parts.

Recall