Expired Hot Deals

[Zellers] [Merged] Zellers Prepaid Samsung Gio 99.99$ now 69.99$ + 50k HBC bonus points

[OP]
Jul 5, 2004
874 posts
171 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Aug 16th, 2011 3:56 pm

Could I hook up the WRT54G to the 2wire via Ethernet, then have only the WRT54G do SSID broadcast and use it only with the Gio?

Any other ideas?
Yes. The 2701's homeportal configuration allows you to turn off the wireless entirely so that it is used only as a DSL modem. You could not however use it only with the Gio, it would be the wireless SSID all your devices would connect to.
Sep 27, 2007
166 posts
4 upvotes
Saint-Leonard
norgos wrote:
Aug 16th, 2011 2:39 pm
any other places in montreal?

He said none in Mtl. All backorder only.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
8723 posts
1270 upvotes
Montreal
bylo wrote:
Aug 16th, 2011 3:56 pm
So, unless people have other suggestions, I can try a couple of things:
1. Change from WEP to WPA, however, since this seems to be a SSID issue, I'm not optimistic. Besides I still have one notebook PC with only WEP on its built-in WiFi adapter.
2. Try to upgrade the firmware on the 2wire, if anything newer exists, in case 2wire has fixed the SSID issue.
Any other ideas?

Wait, how can your netbook only support WEP? Even Windows XP Service Pack 3 supports WPA, BUT you must use the BUILT IN Windows wireless software and not the "company" one.
fsabbagh wrote:
Aug 16th, 2011 4:22 pm

There were 3 left at Brossard Zellers, just off the 10. RUN :)
Feb 17, 2007
51 posts
sorry to bring up unlocking again. But ...

does unlocking mean that your phone has also been rooted?

BTW - my gio kind of flaked out on me for 12 hours. I got some sort of IC lock in the touch screen. I was trying to put a screen protector on it and was using some application fluid, may have interfered with the controls.

I was going to return the unit, but figured I'd check it once more in the morning, working fine now.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13188 posts
5603 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
yuprules wrote:
Aug 16th, 2011 4:55 pm
Wait, how can your netbook only support WEP?
Notebook aka laptop, not netbook. It's an older ThinkPad with a b-only adapter that supports only WEP. I'd need to find an external USB or PCCARD adapter that has WPA. But in any case this issue seems SSID related so I'm not sure it would work.

I've verified that the WRT54G and the Gio do play nice. I may have to go with klown's suggestion to use the WRT54G as the WiFi AP but then I might just as well lose the 2700 altogether and go back to a separate DSL modem (an old Bhell SS4200) and use the WRT54G for both Ethernet and WiFi sharing. That's going to be a pain because I'd have to remember how I once configured those devices and set up port forwarding for BT, etc. Lots of work just to make a lousy cellphone connect via WiFi ;)

Maybe thegov has figured out how to fix the 2wire 2700.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11795 posts
2441 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote:
Aug 16th, 2011 5:18 pm
Notebook aka laptop, not netbook. It's an older ThinkPad with a b-only adapter that supports only WEP. I'd need to find an external USB or PCCARD adapter that has WPA. But in any case this issue seems SSID related so I'm not sure it would work.

I've verified that the WRT54G and the Gio do play nice. I may have to go with klown's suggestion to use the WRT54G as the WiFi AP but then I might just as well lose the 2700 altogether and go back to a separate DSL modem (an old Bhell SS4200) and use the WRT54G for both Ethernet and WiFi sharing. That's going to be a pain because I'd have to remember how I once configured those devices and set up port forwarding for BT, etc. Lots of work just to make a lousy cellphone connect via WiFi ;)

It probably means the hardware manufacturer is too lazy to make updated drivers to support WPA, this sometimes happens.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2008
2831 posts
371 upvotes
fsabbagh wrote:
Aug 16th, 2011 4:22 pm

Horse poop..

lies
Feb 28, 2005
170 posts
10 upvotes
Etobicoke
bylo wrote:
Aug 16th, 2011 5:18 pm
I replied to bylo's PM but thought I'd post the info in case someone else has the 2700 not from Bell. It's a partial work around only. Let us know if there's a clean way.

I got it to run manually with a static IP defined on the gio (After fiddling with every other setting possible on the 2700 -- also blows up with no security running at all!)
On gio - Under Wifi settings - Advanced -- tick box that say use static IP. Then fill in the 5 IP fields below.
On the 2wire before the thing crashed it should have assigned u an internal id for the gio -- can see on system summary page (on mine 192.168.1.254)
In my case its 192.168.1.66 -- that goes in the IP Address under the static IP box
For gateway and netmask i got them from running ipconfig /all from my desktop -- its the internal values that likely won't match what you see on the 2wire . My values were - 192.168.1.254 (which is the 2wire) & 255.255.255.0.
For the 2 dns fields put in whatever your ISP uses for dns resolution or one of the generics 4.2.2.1 or whatever.

You need SSID on - gio won't see it otherwise - even if you define it as a new network -- says out of range.
Use WPA-PSK with a custom password -- make it simple to try -- and all lowercase and/or numeric. I'm using b/g mode.
(The default key may work fine as its numeric and really meant for WEP -- I just haven't gone back to check -- ditto for WEP-Shared if you prefer) Edit: Just confirmed works ok with WEP-Shared and the default key

When you connect on the gio use the password carefully and set the network type to WPA. & cross your fingers.
Hopefully, you're in.

When you go out -- you need to switch the static IP flag off to use other hotspots.

Gotta remember to either switch SSID off when you go out -- so when you come back the gio does not force a boot when it comes in range -- or remember to switch the static IP back on in gio before u are in range. i just clobbered myself again as I switched it on just now.

Gotta be a better way -- but that's a start.

My other options were to change the 20?digit keycode in the 2wire to the AT&T one to see if it auto updated the firmware -- or try to manually load some of the later firmware -- but i read there can be modem problems depending on your line etc. I've avoided bothering in the past as the beasty was as solid as a rock for years.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
2859 posts
44 upvotes
Home
dorje wrote:
Aug 16th, 2011 1:42 pm
So those using fatgsm, don't forget to note down the network lock code and unfreeze code(not sure what this is for though).

I'm currently using Gio on Fido, in the network indicator sign there's always roaming sign, don't have data plan so haven't checked it on fido.
I didn't note the codes while unlocking( Fastgsm). Can I get them by running the application again?

If I reset the phone to factory settings, will it still be unlocked?
If you love something, set it free. If it comes back, it was, and always will be yours. If it never returns, it was never yours to begin with :|
Jan 18, 2005
356 posts
22 upvotes
kremb wrote:
Aug 16th, 2011 5:00 pm
sorry to bring up unlocking again. But ...

does unlocking mean that your phone has also been rooted?

Nope. Two separate things.

Unlocking = phone is no longer locked to Bell. You can put any compatible SIM card in the phone, and it should work on any network (not wind AFAIK).
Rooting = you now have "admin" access to the phone to run/install/hack the phone with any compatible OS/firmware/software etc.

I'm still waiting to hear of any successful rooting of this (Bell version) phone.
[OP]
Jul 5, 2004
874 posts
171 upvotes
professionaldude wrote:
Aug 16th, 2011 7:43 pm
I didn't note the codes while unlocking( Fastgsm). Can I get them by running the application again?

If I reset the phone to factory settings, will it still be unlocked?
No.

Yes. I am pretty sure the only thing that can mess with the unlocking through the XDA board, is trying to root the phone or flash another ROM like some adventurous people did and ended up if not bricking it, pretty close.
Nov 21, 2006
453 posts
125 upvotes
I don't have a data plan, Wi-Fi is out of range and still can get any map on the earth to the closest detail (driving around the city)
GPS is locating me on the map and that's because of the satellites - nothing to do with data plan or WI-FI
My question is where all the detailed maps are coming from (they are google maps) are they ALL stored inside the phone?...hard to believe.
Like I said they are google maps and I have also live traffic maps - they gotta be pulled from some server but how since I have no data and no WiFi
If you have any explanation please enlighten me
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13188 posts
5603 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
thegov wrote:
Aug 16th, 2011 7:35 pm
Just confirmed works ok with WEP-Shared and the default key
Yup. Same here. I used DNS of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which happen to be Google's own. Might as well keep everything in the family. Gmail and contacts synch with the Gcloud. I have to see if I can also synch with Gcal.

Anyway this is one slick phone. The touchscreen and typing still take some getting used to, especially for data entry. But for me it's still early days with lots of learning ahead.

Next up I unlock the phone. For $100 this is one sweet deal. Thanks to thegov and the OP.
veni, vidi, Visa
Sep 23, 2003
224 posts
44 upvotes
GTA
Got it working...
Just remember to install the drivers first from the fastgsm website. Mine gave an error till installed the drivers. Windows cannot find the correct drivers on its own.
Works just fine with rogers now..
Cheers
g