Expired Hot Deals

[Zellers] [Merged] Zellers Prepaid Samsung Gio 99.99$ now 69.99$ + 50k HBC bonus points

Mar 30, 2011
176 posts
11 upvotes
does anyone have a problem ( I just noticed) that after a cold boot, that it takes an extra 3-5 secs to detect the micro sd card once it is loaded. I didn't notice this before and I am just wondering if it's me.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
2855 posts
44 upvotes
Home
iseis wrote:
Aug 20th, 2011 8:34 pm
I installed all the gasfgsm softwares and drivers and followed all your directions. However, I got stuck at final step: when I clicked NEXT twice, it shows:
OPENING COM4 : [OK]
READING SOFTWARE VERSION : [FAIL]

I tried many time but this keeps happening. Can anyone help me with it? Many thanks in advance!

You need to download Kies(drivers) from Samsung Canada website to install drivers for phone.
If you love something, set it free. If it comes back, it was, and always will be yours. If it never returns, it was never yours to begin with :|
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2157 posts
689 upvotes
North York
yes on the SD card delay. does some whole file check thing. no biggy imo.

on that note tho, my class 4 8gb kingston micro sd works fine but it won't let me use it to root via it the .zip, had to use the 2gb that came with. any clue why?
Jan 20, 2010
13 posts
19 upvotes
Montreal, QC
This zip file contains a merge of the original zip from the first post on xda and the updated script for Bell SG Gio (5660M) on that same thread.

A. Root your phone:
1. Download this file http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jzvnlbhidsd5f6l
2. Copy root_gb_gio.zip to the root of your SD card and put the card in the phone
3. Shutdown your phone.
4. Put you phone in recovery Mode(press: Home button + Power button toghether)
5. In recovery mode, choose Install Update from SD-card using Vol. up / down key and press Home key to confirm
6. Search for the root_gb_gio.zip file on your SD-card and Press home key again to run the update
7. Reboot
8. Verify in the app folder if SuperUser app is installed properly

B. Network Unlock:

Method 1: ADB Shell from PC. Follow the instructions in the first post in the xda thread (below) to the letters. Verify command you type in the command line multiple times before pressing Enter ;) Don't worry if you make mistake, you will be able to retype it but just try to make sure everything you enter matches the screenshots in this thread:

NOTE: Be careful, at the 3rd screenshot, after type in su and Enter, SuperUser app on the phone will ask you to allow the operation or not, you have to choose Allow for it to work. At the end, make sure that you type umount /efs command correctly)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1204705

Method 2: Terminal Emulator on the phone itself

1) Download and install Android Terminal Emulator from the market
2) Follow the instructions from the link in method 1 starting from the 3rd screenshots (in which you have to type su in the command line). Also see the note in method 1.

I just did it this morning and everything is working fine on FIDO :razz:
Nov 29, 2010
3 posts
I downloaded Kies and install the drivers many times. But the same problem exists :cry:
professionaldude wrote:
Aug 20th, 2011 9:56 pm
You need to download Kies(drivers) from Samsung Canada website to install drivers for phone.
Nov 20, 2009
637 posts
249 upvotes
zoro69 wrote:
Aug 19th, 2011 4:30 pm
guaranteed you'll get a response...not in the immediate future though. Timing will depend on when they get zellers response to your complaint compared to the next asc council meeting. You'll get a response in the near future that your complaint passed the criteria to be forwarded to council for a decision. Im sure it will, if you go through past decisions you can read where SDm refused a raincheck on one of the the 2 day items which the flyer fine print didn't exclude (SDM claimed it to be store error). Then the ASC will forward you their decision on if it contravened the code.

If you provided real email/phone and ticked the option that it will be provided to the advertiser then zellers will eventually contact you, apologize, offer to honor the deal (if they have stock) and offer to send a gc.

If anyone wants something done immediately, mark.foote@hbc.com is the ceo, I've gotten same day response from a VP after sending my issue there. Of course if there is no stock there is no stock, but Im sure he'd arrange for a rain check(and they are very good at "making up" for issues...night and day with what happens in the stores)

In my mind zellers (hbc is one of the few retail fee paying asc members) has gotten some preferential treatment. eg future shop has gotten named in the quarterly reports for virtually the same complaint on flyer errros because they didn't run a correction, but zellers didn't get named even though they didn't post a correction anywhere

Request for raincheck was refused at Signal Hill, Calgary, and I sent an email to the president of Zellers.

They said they wouldn't issue raincheck for electronics. I told them it was not excluded in the fine print. Then, they said they wouldn't issue rainchecks for the third party items and non-Zellers products. They said the phone was Bell's, and Zellers sold phones for Bell. I told them almost everything Zellers carried was third parties' and non-Zellers products as Zeller didn't make them. They said the item was not regulary stocked item and they woudn't issue rainchecks for such item. Well, I debated that it was not noted in the fine print. Finally, LOL... They said the fine print and flyer were made by HBC, not Zellers. I didn't know what to say. They meant Zellers was not a part of HBC ???

I walked out without fighting further as I didn't waste my valuable time there.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2157 posts
689 upvotes
North York
psyfactor wrote:
Aug 20th, 2011 10:22 pm
]

You sir are my hero. Thanked for the clear instruction! Iphone 3g died a week ago, been using garbage burner with speakout since, and now back in business. Much appreciated to all who shared useful stuff in these threads.

oh one other tip, im a terminal nub and almost just rebooted after the last command "umount /efs" after terminal said "unmount: not found". It's NOT uNmount, it's umount.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2004
1627 posts
54 upvotes
jasperlin wrote:
Aug 20th, 2011 9:26 pm
i went to the bell store at Granville and Burrard in downtown Vancouver and picked up two of them.

be sure to print out the add from online or bring in a flyer.

how much are they?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
7382 posts
2568 upvotes
Markham
jasperlin wrote:
Aug 20th, 2011 9:26 pm
i went to the bell store at Granville and Burrard in downtown Vancouver and picked up two of them.

be sure to print out the add from online or bring in a flyer.

Did they force you to activate it on the spot?
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2007
3363 posts
1509 upvotes
Calgary
I unlocked with GSMunlock to Fido SIM and can't get it out of Data network mode Deactivated. Anyone have any answers?

I may have fixed it by manually adding the APN
I love my Koodo account.
Jan 11, 2008
13 posts
17 upvotes
briandwlee wrote:
Aug 20th, 2011 11:35 pm
Request for raincheck was refused at Signal Hill, Calgary, and I sent an email to the president of Zellers.
I don't know if this helps you, but I was able to get a raincheck at the Market Mall Zellers on Friday afternoon. I was just dealing with a young guy though, not a manager or anything.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8316 posts
1555 upvotes
London
Why not just take a flyer while you were there and PM over at FS or Bell store.
Dec 24, 2010
8 posts
1 upvote
calgary, AB canada
psyfactor wrote:
Aug 20th, 2011 10:22 pm
This zip file contains a merge of the original zip from the first post on xda and the updated script for Bell SG Gio (5660M) on that same thread.

A. Root your phone:
1. Download this file http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jzvnlbhidsd5f6l
2. Copy root_gb_gio.zip to the root of your SD card and put the card in the phone
3. Shutdown your phone.
4. Put you phone in recovery Mode(press: Home button + Power button toghether)
5. In recovery mode, choose Install Update from SD-card using Vol. up / down key and press Home key to confirm
6. Search for the root_gb_gio.zip file on your SD-card and Press home key again to run the update
7. Reboot
8. Verify in the app folder if SuperUser app is installed properly

B. Network Unlock:

Method 1: ADB Shell from PC. Follow the instructions in the first post in the xda thread (below) to the letters. Verify command you type in the command line multiple times before pressing Enter ;) Don't worry if you make mistake, you will be able to retype it but just try to make sure everything you enter matches the screenshots in this thread:

NOTE: Be careful, at the 3rd screenshot, after type in su and Enter, SuperUser app on the phone will ask you to allow the operation or not, you have to choose Allow for it to work. At the end, make sure that you type umount /efs command correctly)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1204705

1) Download and install Android Terminal Emulator from the market
2) Follow the instructions from the link in method 1 starting from the 3rd screenshots (in which you have to type su in the command line). Also see the note in method 1.

SUCCESS! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Did you manage to save all your text messages? I had around 200 text messages in my old phone and when I put the old sim card and the old memory card in to the GIO, my contacts were transferred to the GIO but none of the texts were saved or stored..

Is there a way to view old texts i wonder..
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
349 upvotes
ToniCipriani wrote:
Aug 21st, 2011 12:40 am
Did they force you to activate it on the spot?

:confused: I am sure they are not allowed to do this but even if the would, there is nothing wrong activating, first month is on Bell, just get rid of Bell after that