Expired Hot Deals

[Zellers] [Merged] Zellers Prepaid Samsung Gio 99.99$ now 69.99$ + 50k HBC bonus points

Aug 12, 2009
316 posts
62 upvotes
Carpathian wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2011 1:09 am
Two questions:

Do you have to root the phone first before using any of the unlock methods?

If I want to put a bigger microSD card in, can I just copy the supplied 2 gig card files onto the larger card (incl. apps I put on the original card) or do I have to re-install apps fresh on the new card?

Thanks.

From the posted site, I think you can just copy the data from sd card to sd card.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/a ... ecae&hl=en
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1558 posts
1715 upvotes
patnaik7 wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2011 11:51 pm
I bricked my Gio on Win 7 x86. I did note down the unlock code and at the end I also executed the unmount command. I tried reflashing a couple of times in the download mode. Now it refuses to go into the download mode, all I see is a blinking black screen. Gotta fix this bugger...Any thoughts? Maybe I should try Linux..
Did you use "unmount" (incorrect) or "umount" ?
Mar 21, 2008
832 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
my unmount command didnt work but phone unlocked and no issues
Jun 1, 2010
7 posts
Does anyone know how to backup the /efs folder and other important system folders before attempting to network unlock it?
Mar 29, 2011
833 posts
77 upvotes
duedil wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2011 2:46 am
Does anyone know how to backup the /efs folder and other important system folders before attempting to network unlock it?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=859914 <- I'd imagine the steps would look like what's done in this thread. You'll have to tweak the commands a bit though since that was for Galaxy S. Although I personally don't have too much guts trying that method.. haha.. "rm -rf" command can get fairly catastrophic..

To everyone who successfully unlocked their phone using psyfactor's method, did you guys reboot your phone after the umount command before inserting a non-Bell sim to enter unlock code?
Jun 1, 2010
7 posts
uruha wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2011 3:00 am
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=859914 <- I'd imagine the steps would look like what's done in this thread. You'll have to tweak the commands a bit though since that was for Galaxy S. Although I personally don't have too much guts trying that method.. haha.. "rm -rf" command can get fairly catastrophic..

To everyone who successfully unlocked their phone using psyfactor's method, did you guys reboot your phone after the umount command before inserting a non-Bell sim to enter unlock code?

Thanks, I already tried the first command in this thread because thats all I found too regarding backing up of /efs
when I entered "tar zcvf /sdcard/efs-backup.tar.gz /efs" I got an error that said something like "directory doesnt exist" or "cannot be created" so I didnt go any further. I even tried some basic linux commands to look around the file structure but I couldnt find an obvious place of where /efs is stored.

With all these Gio's being soft bricked (including the last one that I've tried to unlock), it would be a good idea to have a backup plan ;)
Nov 26, 2002
585 posts
54 upvotes
uruha wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2011 3:00 am
[url]To everyone who successfully unlocked their phone using psyfactor's method, did you guys reboot your phone after the umount command before inserting a non-Bell sim to enter unlock code?

I did. I in fact I ran the phone for a day with a Bell sim before I put a 3rd party sim in, as I didn't have one to use. Funny enough it was a Mike (Telus) sim that I inserted as my in-law was visiting and we live waay outside their coverage area. As soon as I turned the phone on it asked for the unlock code.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
1383 posts
386 upvotes
GTA
patnaik7 wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2011 11:51 pm
I bricked my Gio on Win 7 x86. I did note down the unlock code and at the end I also executed the unmount command. I tried reflashing a couple of times in the download mode. Now it refuses to go into the download mode, all I see is a blinking black screen. Gotta fix this bugger...Any thoughts? Maybe I should try Linux..
Here is your problem:
It is umount; NOT unmount

I am sure many people who bricked their Gio's because of that.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
1383 posts
386 upvotes
GTA
dro3 wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2011 2:39 am
my unmount command didnt work but phone unlocked and no issues

Here is your problem:
It is umount; NOT unmount

I am sure many people who bricked their Gio's because of that.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
1383 posts
386 upvotes
GTA
M-e-X-x wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2011 6:47 am
After you get the code, do you press ENTER on the terminal screen or just delete the information that spits out from perso.txt BEFORE you use the umount /efs command? Do you stay in SU mode or exit out of that as well before reboot?

If you read the posts, it is "follow the instructions to the letter"

So to answer your question, stay there and issue the next command (at least that's what I did)
Dec 19, 2007
20 posts
Mississauga
So, I performed psyfactor's steps using method two. I quadruple checked everything before entering each command. At the final step, I performed the umount command and hit enter and the cursor went to the next line. I wasn't sure if something was supposed to happen so I performed the command again only this time it said failed. I figured it was simply because umount worked fine the first time I executed it.

After rebooting the phone with my rogers sim card, the phone booted up just fine. However, it didn't ask me to enter an unlock code like the instructions indicated. I then figured I would try and reboot the phone again and hopefully it would prompt me for an unlock code. Now the phone keeps flashing the black Samsung screen. I can't get back into terminal though it seems I can get it into emergency download mode. Please help... :(