Expired Hot Deals

[Zellers] [Merged] Zellers Prepaid Samsung Gio 99.99$ now 69.99$ + 50k HBC bonus points

Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2006
1083 posts
568 upvotes
Canada
For those having trouble with unlocking, here is a step by step of exactly what I did:

Before Beginning
  1. Fully charge your phone
  2. Do not put in a SIM card in the phone
  3. Turn off your phone
Rooting the Phone
  1. Download this file from psyfactor's post: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jzvnlbhidsd5f6l
  2. Copy root_gb_gio.zip to the root directory of your SD card on your computer
  3. Insert the SD card into the phone
  4. Turn on the phone in recovery mode by holding the HOME and POWER button
  5. Using the VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN buttons highlight the Install Update option and confirm the selection with the HOME button.
  6. Using the VOLUME UP/DOWN and HOME buttons, select the root_gb_gio.zip file and run the update
  7. Using the VOLUME UP/DOWN and HOME buttons, select the reboot option
  8. Verify that the SuperUser application icon appears on the last page (by default) of the menu screen
Obtaining the Unlock Code
  1. In Android Market, download and install Android Terminal Emulator: https://market.android.com/details?id=j ... term&hl=en
  2. Boot up the Android Terminal Emulator application
  3. Using the on-screen keyboard, type

Code: Select all

su
    A prompt will appear; you must select YES to give root/shell permissions to the application
  4. Type

cd /
  5. Type

mount -o remount rw /
  6. Type

mkdir /efs
  7. Type

mount -o nosuid,ro,nodev -t vfat /dev/block/stl5 /efs
    N.B.: The l in stl5 is the letter "L" and not the number "1".
  8. Type

cat /efs/mits/perso.txt
    A line of text should appear in the format of ABCDEFGHIJ#ABCDE#99999#XXXXXXXX000000000000000000000000#. The eight digit XXXXXXXX is your unlock code.
  9. Press enter, then type

umount /efs
    N.B.: The correct command is umount and not unmount.
  10. At this point in time, your screen should look like this:
    N.B.: If it doesn't look like that then you might have entered an incorrect command. Make sure you a) type in all the commands exactly as quoted; b) do not miss any of the spaces in the commands; and c) you are using the forward slash (/) and not the backslash (\).
  11. Now turn off your phone.
Unlocking the Phone
  1. Put in a non-Bell SIM card into the phone (might also have to be non-Virgin/non-Solo if the next step doesn't show up for you; I used a Fido SIM card).
  2. Turn on the phone.
  3. You will see a prompt asking for the network code.
  4. Using the on-screen number-pad, enter your eight digit unlock code.
  5. If successful a prompt will say "Network unlock successful". If not, then it will say "Network unlock unsuccessful".
  6. To double-check, bring up the lock status screen by dialing this number:

*#7465625#
    N.B.: All the locks on the screen should have "[OFF]" displayed. If not, then you might have copied down the unlock code incorrectly in step #8 (in the last section) or entered it incorrectly in step #3 (in this section).
  7. You have now successfully unlocked your phone! You can also uninstall the Android Terminal Emulator application if you like.
Additional Information
Mar 29, 2011
841 posts
77 upvotes
duedil wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2011 3:31 am
Thanks, I already tried the first command in this thread because thats all I found too regarding backing up of /efs
when I entered "tar zcvf /sdcard/efs-backup.tar.gz /efs" I got an error that said something like "directory doesnt exist" or "cannot be created" so I didnt go any further. I even tried some basic linux commands to look around the file structure but I couldnt find an obvious place of where /efs is stored.

With all these Gio's being soft bricked (including the last one that I've tried to unlock), it would be a good idea to have a backup plan ;)

I took a quick look the unlocking steps at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1204705 and saw the command "mkdir /efs". Based on my limited knowledges on shell commands, "mkdir /efs" means /efs is a directory that gets created by the user during the unlocking steps for GIO.

"tar zcvf /sdcard/efs-backup.tar.gz /efs" <= tar just archives the /efs folder for you. "zcvf" each means zip, create, verbose, filename. So this command was trying to archives and compress the "/efs" folder to the destination, "/sdcard/efs-backup.tar.gz". I think "directory doesnt exist" was probably complaining that it couldn't find/see "/efs".
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14062 posts
6476 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
1337rice wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2011 12:30 am
WHAT THE F***!?!?!??! I WENT THERE THIS MORNING AND THAT B**** JUST DOWNRIGHT REJECTED IT BECAUSE ZELLERS DOESN'T HAVE ANY IN STOCK!!!!
I talked to the manager and she's like "Ok, how about $15.99 off?"

wow...first NO RAIN CHECKS from Zellers @ Hillcrest, now this BS...
its_jon wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2011 1:49 am
Got the same BS from the Bridgeport FS Store in Richmond, BC
How is this BS on FS' part? Their PM terms state clearly that the competitor must have stock. Those who got a PM at FS despite that got lucky. Y'all got standard policy. Get over it. (Or try another store.)
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
1664 posts
612 upvotes
GTA
@ S. Chan (#1006)

Very nicely done with good notes.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
1664 posts
612 upvotes
GTA
bylo wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2011 7:51 am
How is this BS on FS' part? Their PM terms state clearly that the competitor must have stock. Those who got a PM at FS despite that got lucky. Y'all got standard policy. Get over it. (Or try another store.)

Nicely said.
Jul 18, 2005
734 posts
105 upvotes
Does anyone have this phone on Telus?

I am unable to send texts/SMS with "Data Packets" ON. Called tech support twice and they have made a ticket stating they have no idea whats going on.

I can turn Data off and I can send txts without issue. Really weird.

Also anybody having trouble locking onto satellites with their GPS?

Any help/suggestions is appreciated.
Mar 29, 2011
841 posts
77 upvotes
Mazda323 wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2011 8:49 am
Hi Chan, when Obtaining the Unlock Code
1.In Android Market, download and install Android Terminal Emulator: https://market.android.com/details?i...roidterm&hl=en
Is it doing on Gio or PC?

I'll answer for him. If you are grabbing it from Android Market, then you are doing it on your phone. I believe a few pages again, someone provided a link where you can d/l it on your pc and copy that to your sd for installation onto your phone as well.
Jun 2, 2002
396 posts
118 upvotes
hdefjunkie wrote:
Aug 19th, 2011 3:25 pm
Well kind of :-)

One can "root" the phone and install "auto proxy" and most apps work quite well. Some don't but most do.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1083284
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/speakout ... s-1053209/

PS> iptables is already installed.

Have you actually tried this? 6 months ago none of the http tunnelling apps worked through the SpeakOut proxy. Or rather, the tunnelling apps worked (ie. did not crash), but were unable to tunnel any other apps. I'm hoping things changed ...
Mar 29, 2011
841 posts
77 upvotes
@ S. Chan or anyone who successfully unlocked the phone using the root+term. emulator method:

Before turning off the phone after entering "umount", wouldn't it be safer to somehow terminate/close term. emulator properly before shutting down the phone? <== Sorry, I know I am getting a bit paranoid at the unlocking steps. Please bear with me.

@ S. Chan (post #1006)

Thanks for providing a detailed step-by-step tutorial on the root+unlock method. :)
Aug 18, 2011
27 posts
8 upvotes
OTTAWA
lynk wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2011 2:24 am
Did you use "unmount" (incorrect) or "umount" ?

Good good catch, I think I entered unmount instead of umount....so much for the excitement of getting the unlock code. ughh....Lesson learnt I guess. How do I recover now, it fails to enter into download mode with a blank black screen flashing every 2 seconds :(
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8415 posts
1602 upvotes
London
uruha wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2011 8:57 am
@ S. Chan or anyone who successfully unlocked the phone using the root+term. emulator method:

Before turning off the phone after entering "umount", wouldn't it be safer to somehow terminate/close term. emulator properly before shutting down the phone? <== Sorry, I know I am getting a bit paranoid at the unlocking steps. Please bear with me.

@ S. Chan (post #1006)

Thanks for providing a detailed step-by-step tutorial on the root+unlock method. :)

I don't remember I did turn off the term. emulator before turning off phone so I don't think this matter much. Looks like most who bricked the phone while getting the unlocking code did input "unmount" instead of "umount"
Aug 18, 2011
27 posts
8 upvotes
OTTAWA
apvm wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2011 9:12 am
I don't remember I did turn off the term. emulator before turning off phone so I don't think this matter much. Looks like most who bricked the phone while getting the unlocking code did input "unmount" instead of "umount"

I think you are right. I'm one of them...darn it...
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2002
1246 posts
99 upvotes
Kingston ON
S.Chan wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2011 7:41 am
For those having trouble with unlocking, here is a step by step of exactly what I did:

Thanks - very detailed and answers all the questions that I have. I have already rooted my phone, downloaded the Emulator from Marketplace (on the phone through WI-FI connection) & verified that the SuperUser application icon is there - just waiting for my SIM card to arrive before unlocking.
Carlos

Free be Freebie