• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2015 4:08 pm
Feb 3, 2015
209 posts
139 upvotes
Montreal, QC

Electric Guitar - Epiphone Les Paul Special II Player Pack

Hello Everyone,

So i just bought Rocksmith 2014 and I know nothing (Jon Snow) about Guitar, after some research I've found this one:
https://www.lamusic.ca/ProductDetails.a ... P&CartID=1

I think it should be a good one to start a new hobby, what do you guys think about it? I really don't want to expend more money than this.

Thanks
11 replies
Oct 23, 2012
418 posts
146 upvotes
Montreal
epiphone is good, made by gibson.

the fender squier bullet strat is 159 on amazon.ca new but without an amp.

try them both at one of your local music stores (steves, italmelodie, long & mcquade, archambault)

they can help you decide and maybe have good deals on used gear

you can also check out kijiji, craigslist, etc.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2004
1057 posts
530 upvotes
Montreal
If you plan on playing with Rocksmith for a bit, I wouldn't get that bundle.
You don't need a tuner or amplifier for now, you'll be using your Rocksmith cable.

Head over to Steve's and tell them you want to buy a 250$ electric guitar, taxes included.
Have them throw in a strap and picks (which they'll probably give you for free).

Something like this : http://www.stevesmusic.com/guitars-and- ... -eljp-ebch
EDIT:
If you can, ask them their best price on a Yamaha Pacifica PAC120H (it's usually 300$). Otherwise, the Pacifica 012 is 220$ and is a perfect starter guitar. It's even available in black, blue or red!

Once you feel you are good enough and you want to play outside of Rocksmith, then look at used amps on Kijiji.
Feb 3, 2015
209 posts
139 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Thanks dave and Kynax,

i did see this one at steves website but as they are the same guitar for 40$ plus to have all the extra stuff is not a better deal?

I'm going to check the Yamaha one, it's the third time someone tell me to go with one.

Thanks again!
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2004
1057 posts
530 upvotes
Montreal
Did you check the shipping costs?
If you're in Montreal, it's easier to just go in person.

As for the price, if it's a bundle and the exact same item, do go for the cheapest place, it'll be exactly the same.

Mainly, I'm not convinced the bundle is a good idea. The amp is usually pretty crappy and the other items are worth less than 10$. I would definitely buy a guitar that is a bit better. Basically, get a guitar worth the same as the bundle. You spend the same amount but get something a bit better. If you use Rocksmith, the amp is useless.

My first electric guitar was a Yamaha, the same as a Pacifica, but before they were called that. I got it over 10 years ago and I still use it from time to time. Never had any issue with it.
Oct 15, 2013
390 posts
429 upvotes
I never played this Epiphone, but with that money you could definatly get something better. Like Kynax says, if you're into Rocksmith (you have the USB cable, right?), you don't need a bad amplifier and tuner package.

You would be amazed at the guitars you can get for around 250$ if you buy used and have a guitarist friend try it out for you and approve your choice. If you really want a Les Paul Special II, it's 189,99$ at bestbuy without the useless package.

Any used Ibanez RG or ESP LTD would outclass this Epiphone imo.

LA Music is a nice store, but I got a ~1000$ Ibanez from them, and the fret job was awful (or the fretboard had shrunk), there was nasty metal bits hanging off the neck ready to rip fingers. I returned it and got a refund. Actually, my last 4 guitars I bought online, and it's the only time I wasn't satisfied.

You can also have a look at ebay for b-stock guitars, I have an Ibanez RG 321 that I've purchased on ebay for ~200$ from a well reviewed b-stock guitars sellers, and beside a tiny nick in the fretboard it was flawless. I sold the passive EMG pickups for 60$ and replaced them with Seymour Duncan actives pickups, set it up with bigger strings, and now I have a Mick Thomson sounding guitar.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1853 posts
319 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Epiphone is Gibson's budget line of guitars and that guitar is Epiphone's budget guitar.

Les Paul with a bolt on neck just screams cheap and poorly made to me.

As other people have said, if you plan on playing through your computer you don't need a cheap really bad sounding amp even if it's free.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
My daughter's first electric guitar was one of those Peavey sets with the pre-amp. It was alright for a year or so but the connections loosened up and was a source of frustration for her when playing. She ended up getting a much better guitar and amp a short while later. If you know what to check for when buying used, that's probably your best value. She loves that Rocksmith game...I don't know how much fun it would be for someone without any basic knowledge of guitar playing though...
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
26683 posts
15290 upvotes
Toronto
My sister and I are going through this Rocksmith phase right now. Both picked up the game, almost bought an on-sale unit from BB/Future Shop (under $200) but I lucked out at Christmas time and got something else instead.

My sister has done a lot better with it than I and she keeps playing it every few nights. Basically if all you can play is 1 note, then it will stick with the whole song with 1 or 2 notes (as she tells me).
I played it once and put it down. I actually learned an instrument in H.S. and think I'm pretty "musical" so I'm kinda annoyed that I'm missing the musical theory or the step by step, starting with easy songs and slowly progressing. That said, the songs are really good and the game is interactive (fun to watch) so I actually want to pick it up again.

Best of luck! Try Kijiji or new from BestBuy. You can hold them in-store.
Don't forget the game is just under $100.

P.S. We are both using play / no-name electric guitars and guess what, they are fine for a video game.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Esso Price Privileges Card, 25% Off - save some money on gas
Feb 3, 2015
209 posts
139 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Based on replys of everybody and internet reviews, i've decided to go with this one:
YAMAHA EL PAC 120H
http://www.stevesmusic.com/index.php?ma ... s_id=15390
Apparently the clerk from music stores are "all" really bad sellers (MTL, 3 stores visited by the way), but I've decided to avoid his "help" with it.
I didn't want to go with a used one this time.

I did play yesterday (on the game) and apparently is everything ok, i had some problems but not related to the guitar or game, but with my knowledge about the metal parts of the guitar, at the end of the night (after 2 hours) i was really comfortable playing it.

I think that's it.

ps.: @DaVibe the game cost 55 bucks(cable included) as I've bought a new one from a Ubi Employee :D

Thanks to all of you.
Oct 15, 2013
390 posts
429 upvotes
That's a nice guitar, and the price seems good. Enjoy!
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
56 posts
2 upvotes
Westmount, QC
yeah, just get a rocksmith and you will be able to learn it, and also try site like guitarpro.com to get thefree tab and learn it slowly !

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)