• Nov 16th, 2018 3:00 am
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 29, 2012
482 posts
84 upvotes
Scarborough

Electric toothbrush?

After failed root canal, tooth extraction - wondering if I should get an electric toothbrush. Do you brush manually or use an electric toothbrush? If yes, is it worth the money and which one do you use?
21 replies
Oct 4, 2018
10 posts
3 upvotes
my first electric toothbrush was Braun Oran B professional care. then i switch to Philips Sonicare that works better for me wait for sale.
[OP]
Dec 29, 2012
482 posts
84 upvotes
Scarborough
Which Sonicare model is "adequate"? I see they range from $40 to $350 ....
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
4768 posts
908 upvotes
GTA
My dentist recommended sonicare. And you can find replacement brushheads online for fraction.

If you floss by the meals and floss daily, you don't need it. If your dominant hand is causing your enamel to wear excessively, it would be recommended. For most folks, it's a good fail safe. I use it daily prior sleep.

There's no benefits for allowing the bad stuff to linger, go into your blood stream, attack your heart and causing premature failure.
Oct 12, 2010
53 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
If you floss every night, clean your teeth twice a year, I don't see the need for a fancy tooth brush. I have the oral B electric tooth brush, i think everyone should use it lol, saves so much time and I am too lazy to brush without one now.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8741 posts
825 upvotes
I use an electric toothbrush and love it. Easier for my being lazy. But I also floss every day as well and that is more important IMO.
Mar 24, 2015
781 posts
200 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
My husband and I share the same electric toothbrush. We just change the detachable brush. There's a colour band at the bottom, pink for me, blue for him, so we don't end up using the other's brush.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6293 posts
1086 upvotes
Oral B electric + floss
________

"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
2579 posts
444 upvotes
Probably lacking something with your brushing technique or dental hygiene routine. Perhaps have your dentist or hygienist go over some basic brushing techniques on your next appointments. Obviously electric toothbrush will clean better, but you still gotta place it in the right spots and know how to use it. IMO, if you can use a manual toothbrush well.. you can use a electric tooth brush well... but if you cant use manual one well, moving up to electric will be same thing... and yes.. floss is important !
Sep 27, 2010
123 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
I use Philips sonicare, I think it's called Essence. It's basically the cheapest one you can get it for $30 when it's on sale. Sometimes people sell brand new ones sealed in the box on kijiji or craigslist. I buy off-brand replacement heads from amazon so it's pretty cheap. For me it made a huge difference because the timer forces you to brush for at least 2 minutes.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2017
1004 posts
802 upvotes
Lazy manual brusher but good teeth so I’ve been using an oral b electric for over 10 years. I buy replacement brush heads at Costco
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16500 posts
1462 upvotes
Space for rent
beamme wrote:
Oct 7th, 2018 3:42 pm
my first electric toothbrush was Braun Oran B professional care. then i switch to Philips Sonicare that works better for me wait for sale.
What was the difference? These companies are increasingly introducing new marketing gimmicks for simple things like brushing our teeth; something we've done for thousands of years. Like the name may suggests, they probably advertise them as sending small sonic waves to break up tartar and all that jazz. Erm, by virtue of the motion, some vibration will occur anyway so they just came up with a fancy name and claimed something that was already there.

Try using a regiment of flossing, waterpik and very soft brissels.
Oct 3, 2017
65 posts
38 upvotes
I tried both Oral B and Sonicare and much prefer the Sonicare. I read somewhere that the aftermarket brush heads can hurt your gums. Costco has best price on Brush heads. I don't change the brush heads when the blue strip (wear indicator) wears out. Seems to wear out in a few weeks, I replace the head well after 3 months.
Dec 1, 2016
100 posts
27 upvotes
I tried botth sonicare and Oral B pro. I bought Oral B because it got better review but actually I myself find sonicare is better. And sonicare is much cheaper .