• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2018 3:00 am
Tags:
Dec 31, 2007
368 posts
55 upvotes
before i got my oral-b 9000, i always thought electric toothbrushes were for the lazy. after some dental work a decade ago, my new dentist and hygienist recommended the braun 9000 for $100 (at cost) complete with stand, multiple heads and a timer. i thought that was a rip as i had an elcheapo $15 walmart special, but i bought it since my i had really sensitive teeth. i was using a cheap AA battery powered electric toothbrush and i was unimpressed with electric toothbrushes, so i thought this really expensive electric tooth brush was a scam.i found out later my dentist was selling it at cost, as the 9000 was going at the retails store for $150 to $200.

i was wrong about what a difference a high end electric toothbrush makes. 11 years later, i'm still using this toothbrush. it truly is amazing. the timer long since died. using a high end electric toothbrush is better than a manual brush. however it's all a matter of technique and the proper heads in order to not damage your gums. my hygienist back then showed my the proper way of using an electric toothbrush. it turns out i was using the toothbrush all wrong. now i do it the right way, flush, then brush for about 2 min, tracing around the gum line and then the individual tooth. the phillips has a sweeping motion that supposed to be easier on the gums.

i would recommend that a quality electric toothbrush is better than manual brushing, but technique in electric brushing is key. i've also used generic brush heads and i can say they are not as good as the oem's. the bristles are not as good. they key in extending the brush head life is to not use too much pressure on brushing the head against the tooth. the timer had a cool feature that signaled when you applied too much pressure.

i liked the braun so much i bought 2 new high end oral-b 5000's that i've never opened yet because the 9000 is still going strong after 11 years. the cost of the heads is about $5 per that i usually replace after 3 to 6 months. i like the sharp tips heads for doing the gumline, but the more unique heads costs more since there's not a lot of stores that carry them.

i use the fine head to brush along the gumline and between the teeth. and the regular head to brush the tooth surface. i buy the 8 pack from costco (now 9 pack).

i also bought a waterpik from costco to help in keeping my gums healthy but haven't opened it yet. so i can't give an opinion about it yet.
Jan 18, 2017
340 posts
104 upvotes
Absolutely. What matters in breaking away plaque is the # of strokes. An electric toothbrush can deliver orders of magnitude number of strokes than your manual one can. I switched a couple years ago and wished I started with them in the first place. When I forget to charge the brush I feel I can never get my teeth clean enough (despite brushing 3x as long..)

Moreover, many electric toothbrushes have a sensor that determines if you are pressing too hard to the gums and will stop the brush, that will prevent you from damaging your gums. Some people brush far too hard ...
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1109 posts
294 upvotes
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Oct 7th, 2018 4:10 pm
My dentist recommended sonicare. And you can find replacement brushheads online for fraction.

If you floss by the meals and floss daily, you don't need it. If your dominant hand is causing your enamel to wear excessively, it would be recommended. For most folks, it's a good fail safe. I use it daily prior sleep.

There's no benefits for allowing the bad stuff to linger, go into your blood stream, attack your heart and causing premature failure.
ghuraba wrote:
Oct 15th, 2018 3:16 pm
I use Philips sonicare, I think it's called Essence. It's basically the cheapest one you can get it for $30 when it's on sale. Sometimes people sell brand new ones sealed in the box on kijiji or craigslist. I buy off-brand replacement heads from amazon so it's pretty cheap. For me it made a huge difference because the timer forces you to brush for at least 2 minutes.
Hi can you guys and anyone else link me to the cheap brushheads you guys are using with the Sonicare?
Sep 27, 2010
123 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 12:06 pm
Hi can you guys and anyone else link me to the cheap brushheads you guys are using with the Sonicare?
I got this one https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00QQS ... UTF8&psc=1

It has pretty good reviews. The different colours are helpful if more than one person at home uses it so you can differentiate them.
Dec 31, 2007
368 posts
55 upvotes
Catnippy wrote:
Nov 15th, 2018 3:54 pm
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/oral-b-vit ... 0004136116

Bought a basic Oral-B today at $18 down from $29.99 at Walmart - just happened to walk by and they were at the door. Doesn't hurt to try at this price. They had a dual one which looked kinda mean ...
i inherited one of these from my brother. i bought him a 2 set oral-b from costco a few years back and he gave me his vitality. they use the same heads, but it doesn't have the same power as the 9000 i had. i took it to work and used it for brushing my teeth after lunch. i would say the higher end models have 50% more power than the vitality.

it really comes down to technique. you should watch some youtube videos

if your teeth are getting more sensitive as you get older, i highly recommend the higher end models, since they have a timer inside to let you know the 30 sec mark. with the proper technique and care, you should be able to hold back receding gumline issues. if you're wearing down your enamel due to teeth grinding, no amount of brushing will save your tooth enamel, you will need a night guard to prevent bruxism.

the 6000's are going for $100 at walmart. it'll last you years.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/oral-b-pro ... 0197540662