• Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2018 5:32 pm
32 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21246 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Yea, but how much hot water do 2 elderly people use? Now compare to a young family of 4 or 5 with more baths, laundry, dishes, etc.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21246 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Heated driveway isn't a good example because it isn't used every day. Also not something that almost anyone has.

A natural vent NG tank isn't a too much more than an electric tank and about the same maintenance. You also have hot water when the power is out.
If you dad likes it quiet, then the powervent tank should be replaced with a natural draft tank.
Last edited by engineered on Dec 18th, 2018 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
engineered wrote: A natural vent NG tank is about the same price as an electric tank and is the same or less maintenance (no anode to ever change). You also have hot water when the power is out.
Not sure where you do your shopping but a NG conventional vent is 50% more than an electric tank. And electric water heaters have anode rods just like gas heaters.
Talk about giving out incorrect info.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
Then you can set an electric heater to come on when the rates are low and you can get an insulating jacket for a electric where you can't for a gas. You can also install it in many more places than a conventional vent gas unless you want to pay a fortune for venting.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21246 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
pootza wrote: Not sure where you do your shopping but a NG conventional vent is 50% more than an electric tank. And electric water heaters have anode rods just like gas heaters.
Talk about giving out incorrect info.
You're right, electric is cheaper, between $300 on lower end and $100 on higher end. I meant to say electrode, not anode.
$699 electric https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.perf ... 39811.html
$799 gas https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.rhee ... 92346.html
pootza wrote: Then you can set an electric heater to come on when the rates are low and you can get an insulating jacket for a electric where you can't for a gas. You can also install it in many more places than a conventional vent gas unless you want to pay a fortune for venting.
It's still going to be cheaper to run NG if you use lots of hot water.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
engineered wrote: You're right, electric is cheaper, between $300 on lower end and $100 on higher end. I meant to say electrode, not anode.
$699 electric https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.perf ... 39811.html
$799 gas https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.rhee ... 92346.html

It's still going to be cheaper to run NG if you use lots of hot water.
BS ... you meant to say and did say anode.
And may not be cheaper in some provinces.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6834 posts
7575 upvotes
Toronto
$18/mo is crazy expensive... I think I pay less than $2/mo in NG for HWH.
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21246 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
pootza wrote: BS ... you meant to say and did say anode.
And may not be cheaper in some provinces.
Please let me know where you get your drugs that give you psychic powers to read my mind. Seems useful.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
engineered wrote: Please let me know where you get your drugs that give you psychic powers to read my mind. Seems useful.
You're in a hole already so let's make it deeper.
Please school us on what kind of electrode is on a "natural vent NG tank"?
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10212 posts
5526 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
pootza wrote: And electric water heaters have anode rods just like gas heaters.
As an FYI, not all electric heaters have an anode. My new one doesn't (but it does cost more than a basic gas tank).
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: As an FYI, not all electric heaters have an anode. My new one doesn't (but it does cost more than a basic gas tank).
As a FYI, not all natural gas water heaters do either.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
How much electricity does a power vent NG water heater use, I never see that factored into the equation.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21246 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
pootza wrote: You're in a hole already so let's make it deeper.
Please school us on what kind of electrode is on a "natural vent NG tank"?
Seems you are the one in a dark hole. I never said NG tanks have an electrode.
thriftshopper wrote: As an FYI, not all electric heaters have an anode. My new one doesn't (but it does cost more than a basic gas tank).
Presumably all non-ferrous tanks (fibreglass) do not require anodes. Is that what you have?
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1698 posts
999 upvotes
out of curiosity, what rate is your electricity?
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10212 posts
5526 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
engineered wrote: Presumably all non-ferrous tanks (fibreglass) do not require anodes. Is that what you have?
The term used is polybutene. It's softer than FG by the looks of it.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10212 posts
5526 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
TomLafinsky wrote: As far as I know only the Rheem Marathon electric water tanks do not have a rod because the tank is a type of plastic. But you still need to drain a gallon per month if I'm not mistaken. Any other tank models without an anode rod?
The monthly draining is recommended where water (presumably well or aquifer) is hard presumably due to the stuff precipitating and having nothing to stick to. I'll drain mine early next year to see what accumulated (over here, it looks like sediment as the water comes from a Pacific rain-filled reservoir)

I've been told there are still the odd brass (or is it bronze) tank in Victoria (highly sought after for reuse, apparently) that are going over 50 or more years of continuous use.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
pootza wrote: BS ... you meant to say and did say anode.
Why so aggressive? You don't know what is in the other poster's mind. Their post was not rude.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10212 posts
5526 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
TomLafinsky wrote: Interesting. Thanks for the info. I wish we would build things to last. I did look at the Marathon but it was twice the cost. So instead I decided to go with the traditional. I figured I can always change my mind the next time I'll need a new tank.
I'm almost tempted to find an old bronze/brass tank, update the design and see how much it'd cost to get it made in China or India and shipped to/distributed in North America. The technology (ain't exactly high-tech) is there to make long-lasting heaters but there is an industrial conspiracy to make you buy a new tank every decade or so.

If the tank does last for a longer time, it's worth the higher price to reduce replacement hassle factor (also periodically inspecting/replacing the anode in a regular tank) not to mention install cost (I had to hire a van even for a DIY job).
Too bad Rheem doesn't make the Hybrid High Efficiency with the tank of the Marathon. That would be a winning combination. Btw your heating elements are titanium and they sell for US$50/each at HD USA.
Well, here's a question: If the water is primarily heated by the heat pump, does the anode/tank corrode as fast, or is corrosion a function of the electric element and/or flame heating?
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2010
1130 posts
650 upvotes
Greely
Just a WAG, but I would guess that buying and operating an electric water heater would be cheaper than renting and operating a NG water heater Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)