Electrical Engineering with radio communication background unemployed

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2017 3:51 pm
[OP]
Nov 9, 2017
3 posts

Electrical Engineering with radio communication background unemployed

Hi,

I am an Electrical engineer graduate from University of Windsor (2013). For 2 years I worked in Calgary airport for Arinc Inc. as part of the radio support team for Westjet and Aircanada for the entire North America. My work also involved remotely on in person performing upgrades at the Westjet IT hub on the consoles assigned under different radio assignments. We were also programming different Motorola radios, installing repeaters, base radios and Air to Ground radios. I had to come back to Ontario to secure my permanent residency and I found myself a job at Evertz Microsystem as a Product Verification engineer. This was short lived as the department dissolved in March earlier this year. Since then I have been having a tough luck. I want to work in radio/wireless communication, but since I did not have any direct experience in troubleshooting LTE networks with Qualcomm devices I am having a tough luck. I have all the wireless concepts and work experience with troubleshooting radio networks, but no one is willing to give a chance. Is there any kind of certifications that can help me with my cause. I tried to move in the direction of an analyst position but there is no luck. Can anyone please advise.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1217 posts
321 upvotes
roycho1988 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:47 pm
Hi,

I am an Electrical engineer graduate from University of Windsor (2013). For 2 years I worked in Calgary airport for Arinc Inc. as part of the radio support team for Westjet and Aircanada for the entire North America. My work also involved remotely on in person performing upgrades at the Westjet IT hub on the consoles assigned under different radio assignments. We were also programming different Motorola radios, installing repeaters, base radios and Air to Ground radios. I had to come back to Ontario to secure my permanent residency and I found myself a job at Evertz Microsystem as a Product Verification engineer. This was short lived as the department dissolved in March earlier this year. Since then I have been having a tough luck. I want to work in radio/wireless communication, but since I did not have any direct experience in troubleshooting LTE networks with Qualcomm devices I am having a tough luck. I have all the wireless concepts and work experience with troubleshooting radio networks, but no one is willing to give a chance. Is there any kind of certifications that can help me with my cause. I tried to move in the direction of an analyst position but there is no luck. Can anyone please advise.
Try NavCanada. Since you worked at YYC you're probably already familiar with them and what they do. They maintain all the radar and communication sites that they use throughout Canada, though I think the engineering jobs are mostly out of the HQ in Ottawa and the technicians are spread out all over the place.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15756 posts
4662 upvotes
Ottawa
Are you willing to relocate?
As mentioned above, NAV Canada is a good start (great place to work) or in the High Tech (Aerospace/Defense, Telecominication etc...) sector here in Ottawa.
Oct 6, 2015
791 posts
399 upvotes
The Canadian 'scene' for that sort of engineering has been dead since the big purges at Nortel. Its great that you have those skills, but there's people who have been doing that for 20 years, and actually developed a lot of the equipment in the market today.

See if you can pick up some software skills and get into that end of things -- seems to be a little bit more vibrant there. The telecom carriers unfortunately are overwhelmed with applicants to the extent that they actively avoid them.

BTW, permanent residency? Perhaps there are better opportunities from where you came, than in Canada. Canada has a massive engineering glut, so there's a lot of engineers who are having trouble across the board, particularly in out of favour sectors.

https://www.ospe.on.ca/public/documents ... market.pdf
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15756 posts
4662 upvotes
Ottawa
burnt69 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 3:35 pm
The Canadian 'scene' for that sort of engineering has been dead since the big purges at Nortel. Its great that you have those skills, but there's people who have been doing that for 20 years, and actually developed a lot of the equipment.

See if you can pick up some software skills. The telecom carriers unfortunately are overwhelmed with applicants to the extent that they actively avoid them.

BTW, permanent residency? Perhaps there are better opportunities from where you came, than in Canada. Canada has a massive engineering glut, so there's a lot of engineers who are having trouble across the board, particularly in out of favour sectors.

https://www.ospe.on.ca/public/documents ... market.pdf
WTH kind of suggestion is that?
Oct 6, 2015
791 posts
399 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 3:40 pm
WTH kind of suggestion is that?
If you refer to the document I linked, only 31% of Ontario's engineers are employed as of 2006, with a worsening situation in the years since (Table 1, Figure 2). There may very well be better opportunities overseas, than in Canada. Especially for a highly educated individuals, and that such opportunities should not be discounted.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15756 posts
4662 upvotes
Ottawa
burnt69 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 3:48 pm
If you refer to the document I linked, only 31% of Ontario's engineers are employed as of 2006, with a worsening situation in the years since (Table 1, Figure 2). There may very well be better opportunities overseas, than in Canada. Especially for a highly educated individuals, and that such opportunities should not be discounted.
So, he should pack his bag and go back to his country of origin.
Oct 6, 2015
791 posts
399 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 3:51 pm
So, he should pack his bag and go back to his country of origin.
That should be considered as a potential option, ie: there may very well be better opportunities for engineers with his skillset/education in his country of origin, than in Canada.

The unemployment/underemployment of Canadian engineers is very high per the StatsCan data as analyzed in that OSPE publication. Better opportunities may exist elsewhere. Its Canada's loss, but the OP should do what is best for himself. There are no signs of the situation in Canada improving any time soon given the utter decimation of Canada's ICT sector experienced in the last 10-16 years.
[OP]
Nov 9, 2017
3 posts
Thanks for the advice. I am a Permanent residence. I have been living here for the past 10 years and this feels like more home than my actual home . I am willing to deviate my career , but in what direction that is more confusing. What field of profession are you guys in ?
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
1804 posts
407 upvotes
Toronto
OP can go into finance. It seems like a place for second careers. i have seen job posting with engineering as one of the requirements.
Dec 15, 2015
128 posts
53 upvotes
RH, ON
Electrical Eng with Radio? My friend, go to the US military or search out any one their telecommunications suppliers.
Oct 6, 2015
791 posts
399 upvotes
TheMaterial wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 9:31 am
Electrical Eng with Radio? My friend, go to the US military or search out any one their telecommunications suppliers.
Most of them require security clearances and citizenship.
[OP]
Nov 9, 2017
3 posts
raichu1 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 12:55 am
OP can go into finance. It seems like a place for second careers. i have seen job posting with engineering as one of the requirements.
Thanks for replying
I dont mind, but what kind of jobs exactly . Please share some links or information. I came across few financial analyst jobs who are open for engineering disciplines but they would prefer to hire from finance background.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
1804 posts
407 upvotes
Toronto
roycho1988 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 8:34 pm
Thanks for replying
I dont mind, but what kind of jobs exactly . Please share some links or information. I came across few financial analyst jobs who are open for engineering disciplines but they would prefer to hire from finance background.
High Finance jobs do look for engineers. Apply anyway. Indeed.com to start. You will have to figure out what transferable skills you have and how to apply it to money.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
7901 posts
727 upvotes
roycho1988 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 1:07 am
Thanks for the advice. I am a Permanent residence. I have been living here for the past 10 years and this feels like more home than my actual home . I am willing to deviate my career , but in what direction that is more confusing. What field of profession are you guys in ?
Why not go back to Calgary.