Home & Garden

Electronic Air Cleaner - Keep Making Noises (snapping)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2013 10:16 am
Tags:
None
Aug 20, 2012
851 posts
31 upvotes

Electronic Air Cleaner - Keep Making Noises (snapping)

I am wondering why my eletronic air cleaner keeps making snapping/clicking noises when furnace is on? They sound like static electricity noises and it really makes me uncomfortable lol.

I did some research online and read about how it should go away after 10-15 mins, but mine kept making noise for the entire night. Whats goign on, please help
7 replies
Nov 9, 2008
765 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
Was initially looking into getting one of these for our new furnace, and decided against it due to what you're describing. What you're hearing is dust being zapped by the static electricity.

When was the last time you cleaned the collecting cells (essentially a pre-filter)
[OP]
Aug 20, 2012
851 posts
31 upvotes
I didn't buy or use it before, so I don't know. It was from previous owner.

Now, suppose I don't have time to clean it these days, can I simply 'turn it off'? Will that affect how the furnance operates?
Oct 2, 2007
180 posts
16 upvotes
Mississauga
My parents have one (a Carrier unit) and it is quiet. There is a button used to test the unit and would snap/arc when pressed to check if the unit is functioning. If it snaps/cracks frequently you need to wash the cells as they are dirty. I used to plunk them in the bathtub and using the showerhead/hose blast both sides with hot water... watch the dust flow out! Use a cloth to prevent the tub from being scratched up. If you have a dishwasher it can be used also/ a cell at a time.
[OP]
Aug 20, 2012
851 posts
31 upvotes
Thanks for the advice. I guess i will just have to spend sometime washing and drying it this evening.

At the mean time, is it safe to just switch it off?
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
10998 posts
868 upvotes
Kanata
netbounty wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2013 3:43 pm
Thanks for the advice. I guess i will just have to spend sometime washing and drying it this evening.

At the mean time, is it safe to just switch it off?
Sure, you do have regular furnace filters in there, don't you? Mine has a filter in front of the electronic cleaner, and then carbon filter after it.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1960 upvotes
My sister had one of these. It drove me nuts when I was visiting.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
1883 posts
79 upvotes
North York
if its continuously snapping, there is something caught in the filter. Turn it off and clean it.

We have one, and it's practically silent.
Be careful shopping at Shoppers Drug Mart they repeatedly sell expired baby/food/health products.
× < >