Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1653 upvotes

Electronic Car Starters

Just wondering if it's safe to install one of these on my old Accord? I saw some at Canadian Tire but have heard of horror stories of cars having problems starting, problems opening doors, and problems with the mechanics f'ing up your car while installing these.

Any suggestions? Just moved to Calgary and would like to warm my car up while I'm waiting for the elevator.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
8 replies
Oct 29, 2010
3 posts
ottawa ontario
I have some electronic issues, doors and windows on my 2003 Acura TL because of the electronic starter. From now on I am going to get the manufacturers remote starter.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6774 posts
3191 upvotes
Alberta
Installation all depends on who and how they did the install. 4 guys had remote car starters installed in their cars last winter at 4 different places and all 4 have had problems and took it back to get it fixed. One is still not fixed and causes his alarm system in his truck to go off with no reason at all. I myself would never let some guy hack away at the electrical system in my Honda Odyssey EXL-RES.
Oct 25, 2010
348 posts
23 upvotes
Northern Onterio
Future shop around here is one of the best place to get your auto starter purchase and installed...unlike some other place, everyone that works in the Future Shop garage require a coarse to be liscense, so they are not joe smoe. Once in awhile Future Shop will also have a promotion sale where if you buy a kit, they will installed it for free...Some car dealer around here even send their cars to Future Shop for service.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
2619 posts
271 upvotes
every car has different wiring and different obstacles in the way to get access. id be nervous about letting people cut up my factory wiring.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12150 posts
499 upvotes
Toronto
5pecial_K78 wrote: Future shop around here is one of the best place to get your auto starter purchase and installed...unlike some other place, everyone that works in the Future Shop garage require a coarse to be liscense, so they are not joe smoe. Once in awhile Future Shop will also have a promotion sale where if you buy a kit, they will installed it for free...Some car dealer around here even send their cars to Future Shop for service.

:facepalm:
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2253 posts
109 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
electronic car starter?? ... is that like a remote starter?
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2001
3615 posts
92 upvotes
Check with an AutoTemp or Certified Radio, or even, call your local dealership parts dept to see who they use to do their installs. I've put in a couple myself, its not hard, just have to take your time. Some of the installers are paid per job, so they rush to get more in per hour and make mistakes.

And, for chits and giggles, run a search for remote starters calgary to see what comes up - I think it may have been discussed before.
What the H E double hockey sticks have I done now?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5146 posts
1202 upvotes
Ottawa
If possible, I would go with factory but they can do a decent job if the person knows what they are doing.

We had one done on our Sienna a few years ago and we did have to go back a few times to get some issues resolved but in the end it's pretty much fine. It wasn't a trivial install as they had to reprogram a bunch of functions into the new remote (lock/unlock, start/stop, driver/passenger rear sliding doors, rear power hatch, panic).

It's not 100% perfect (horn sounds when you lock instead of factory 'chirp', lights don't flash the same way when you lock / unlock (and puddle light under driver / passenger door mirrors doesn't light up anymore), alarm auto-arms now after a few minutes even when you don't lock the car, etc) but we're happy to have the starter.