Personal Finance

Electronically receiving money (from one Canadian to another) w/o needing to enter bank account info always (not paypal)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2017 9:15 am
[OP]
Nov 5, 2015
26 posts
1 upvote

Electronically receiving money (from one Canadian to another) w/o needing to enter bank account info always (not paypal)

I'd like to electronically send money to someone. This will be more than once. I plan on sending money maybe once or twice a month. In the past, I logged onto my bank and sent free money transfers. But the recipient didn't like having to enter their bank account number every time.

Is there a way where the recipient doesn't have to enter their account number every time I send money? Like, I can send them 20 transfers over the span of several months, and the money will accumulate in their name -- without the receiver having to do something every time. And then, after a year, they need to enter their bank account info this just one time.

Please -- no Paypal.
9 replies
Aug 2, 2011
74 posts
29 upvotes
Vancouver
Tangerine E-mail Money Transfer would be great if you're both Tangerine customers - when they receive the first one, they can set it to auto-accept.

Otherwise your best bet is probably e-transfer, but they'll have to log in to their account each time.

If they only want to access the cash once a year, perhaps you should just open a new savings account at your bank, and put the money in there. Then, after a year, write them a cheque for the full amount.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 8, 2012
9578 posts
3465 upvotes
BC
mapleleafsyrup wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 2:42 am
I'd like to electronically send money to someone. This will be more than once. I plan on sending money maybe once or twice a month. In the past, I logged onto my bank and sent free money transfers. But the recipient didn't like having to enter their bank account number every time.

Is there a way where the recipient doesn't have to enter their account number every time I send money? Like, I can send them 20 transfers over the span of several months, and the money will accumulate in their name -- without the receiver having to do something every time. And then, after a year, they need to enter their bank account info this just one time.

Please -- no Paypal.
If you both bank with the same bank you can (usually) do this.

e.g. Tangerine or EQ you can automatically accept transfers from someone you have in the past, with no further user intervention after the first time.

Tangerine -> Tangerine via free Tangerine EMT
EQ -> EQ via free EQ Connection transfer

If you get the other person's bank info you can also send 'them' a Tangerine free EMT and accept it for them into their account. Just send it to yourself basically but enter their account info.

There's also Interac e-Transfer which supposedly is adding recurring and auto-accept features this year.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
[OP]
Nov 5, 2015
26 posts
1 upvote
benj1701 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 2:57 am
Tangerine E-mail Money Transfer would be great if you're both Tangerine customers - when they receive the first one, they can set it to auto-accept
ace604 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 3:02 am
e.g. Tangerine or EQ you can automatically accept transfers from someone you have in the past, with no further user intervention after the first time.

I'm a long-time TangerINGe customer. Very happy with their service. I got the recipient to open a Tangerine account for the purpose you cited -- for auto-acceptance. However, it didn't work. Even though the recipient is a Tangerine customer, auto-accept does not work. I've called Tangerine with the receiver right beside me, to see if their customer-service team could help. Unfortunately, auto-accept still does not work.
ace604 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 3:02 am
If you get the other person's bank info you can also send 'them' a Tangerine free EMT and accept it for them into their account. Just send it to yourself basically but enter their account info.
ace604, I appreciate this out-of-the-box idea. I should ask the receiver if they're okay with this.
Last edited by mapleleafsyrup on Jul 17th, 2017 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 2, 2011
74 posts
29 upvotes
Vancouver
What precisely happens when you send a transfer? For me, when I accept a transfer from someone new, it gives me an option to auto-accept in the future.
[OP]
Nov 5, 2015
26 posts
1 upvote
benj1701 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 3:41 am
What precisely happens when you send a transfer? For me, when I accept a transfer from someone new, it gives me an option to auto-accept in the future.
Sorry, I don't precisely remember as it's been several years since we tried and failed. I do remember that one of the first questions that the recipient gets is "Are you a Tangerine customer?" We choose "Yes". We expect future money transfers would be automatically accepted, but nope, the recipient has to go through the same process again. Do you mind sharing some screenshots of what you do/did see?
Aug 2, 2011
74 posts
29 upvotes
Vancouver
I don't have any screenshots, but AFAIK the option was on the screen where the recipient chooses which account to deposit the funds into.
[OP]
Nov 5, 2015
26 posts
1 upvote
benj1701 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 4:06 am
I don't have any screenshots, but AFAIK the option was on the screen where the recipient chooses which account to deposit the funds into.
I know what you mean. My recipient chose their Tangerine account as the receiving account, and the money successfully entered their Tangerine account. It's the auto-accept that fails.
Aug 2, 2011
74 posts
29 upvotes
Vancouver
Could you try sending them another transfer, and then screenshot their screen where they're accepting the transfer?
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
2373 posts
399 upvotes
Ottawa
It is only after selecting Tangerine, then logging in,and right before the final acceptance screen, that there will be a Yes/No button for auto accept in the future.

If it stopped working then it could be that you changed the security question