Shopping Discussion

Electronics recycling fee - I'm never shopping in ontario again!

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 12th, 2009 6:21 pm
Tags:
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49008 posts
10301 upvotes
Richmond Hill
funkylist wrote: This is insane, more fees and taxes in a bad economy.

Pretty soon we have to pay additional fees on flushing our toilets to paying fees to exhale the carbon dioxide from our bodies..

Anything with the word green on the product costs more, but doest it really help the environment or help corporations pocket extra profit...

This green thing is starting to get too expensive. Pretty soon the extra taxes and fees will cost more than the product itself.
HST was insane, the recycling is fair, IMO. Ontario is one of the last "have" provinces to impose it, so I'm not complaining there.
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
:arrowu: bump

what does this tax mean for me? can i leave my junk on the lawn on garbage pickup day? or do i put my electronics in the recycling bin?

... or do i still have to waste gas and drive to some lame recycling depot...
ShadowVlican
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49008 posts
10301 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ShadowVlican wrote: :arrowu: bump

what does this tax mean for me? can i leave my junk on the lawn on garbage pickup day? or do i put my electronics in the recycling bin?

... or do i still have to waste gas and drive to some lame recycling depot...
This.

It's not lame.

This tax means you don't have to pay when you bring it to the recycling depot to drop things off.
Tons of things for sale!
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
Jon Lai wrote: This.

It's not lame.

This tax means you don't have to pay when you bring it to the recycling depot to drop things off.
oic thanks :|
ShadowVlican
Oct 11, 2007
347 posts
52 upvotes

It's not lame.

Hm...Is there some official confirmation about this? Hard to believe really....
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
condor11 wrote: Hm...Is there some official confirmation about this? Hard to believe really....
Hard to believe about what?
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 30, 2007
8910 posts
852 upvotes
Toronto

It's not lame.

I completely don't understand that. There has never been a charge to drop off, I have been doing it for more than a year at the Keele st dump.

Was a charge coming or is this a tax grab? It's not like they don't recover money from recycled parts, there is a whole industry behind recycling parts and metals etc to reuse.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
7197 posts
1998 upvotes
belowzeros wrote: I completely don't understand that. There has never been a charge to drop off, I have been doing it for more than a year at the Keele st dump.

Was a charge coming or is this a tax grab? It's not like they don't recover money from recycled parts, there is a whole industry behind recycling parts and metals etc to reuse.

No we still pay a fee in Peel for electronics

http://www.peelregion.ca/pw/waste/crc/a ... le.htm#fee

so yes it is a tax grab
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2002
2290 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Jon Lai wrote: This tax means you don't have to pay when you bring it to the recycling depot to drop things off.
is this confirmed.....? :confused:

some posters are saying its already no fee for dropoff:
belowzeros wrote: There has never been a charge to drop off, I have been doing it for more than a year at the Keele st dump.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
121 upvotes
rb wrote: No we still pay a fee in Peel for electronics

http://www.peelregion.ca/pw/waste/crc/a ... le.htm#fee

so yes it is a tax grab
Already been discussed!
Frankie3s wrote: "When you pay a fee on purchase, you don't pay a fee on recycling. " Which is totally untrue at least in Ontario as proof of the websites mentioned about in my posts.
spf1971 wrote: No and here's why. The recycling fee on purchases ISN'T IN EFFECT YET. Right now they charge to recycle. Everyone else who instituted a recycling fee runs it the same way; You pay a fee when you purchase an item and you can drop the item off for free. Why do you believe it will be run any differently in Ontario. It's a pretty simple concept.

If you can prove that in Ontario you pay a fee on purchasing and disposing electronic items, then you would be right. Of course seeing as how you don't pay a fee on purchase, your statement is totally untrue.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49008 posts
10301 upvotes
Richmond Hill
CanadianMike wrote: is this confirmed.....? :confused:

some posters are saying its already no fee for dropoff:
Keele street "dump" is different from a recycling center. A "dump" puts your items and decomposes them. A recycling center takes your things apart and sells them to be remanufactured.
Tons of things for sale!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 30, 2007
8910 posts
852 upvotes
Toronto
Jon Lai wrote: Keele street "dump" is different from a recycling center. A "dump" puts your items and decomposes them. A recycling center takes your things apart and sells them to be remanufactured.

Yes that is right. the Keele st dump has a dedicated hazardous waste and electronics recycling center. Paint, batteries, needles etc goes into a hazardous waste room, electronics whether computers, monitors, electronics whatever goes into usually a 20 foot container which is trucked off to recycling. The dump is in a whole different area of the location and cordoned off by tolls. So if you are trying to refute my statement you are wrong, I don't put it in the dump or go through the weigh station for it - or pay any fees :)

All this info is on the toronto garbage and recycling calendar it's online also. What's new is the upcoming fees tho :(
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2002
2290 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Jon Lai wrote: Keele street "dump" is different from a recycling center. A "dump" puts your items and decomposes them. A recycling center takes your things apart and sells them to be remanufactured.
it looks like someone else already addressed this point (stating that keele does indeed have these facilities).

even if what you were saying is true....how does it make the recycling fee beneficial? :confused: your earlier post implied that by paying this fee at purchase, we are somehow 'saving' paying it later on....but it seems that disposal is currently free of charge.

it looks like there is no real utility coming out of this recycling fee beyond being another point of taxation.
Oct 11, 2007
347 posts
52 upvotes
gman wrote: Hard to believe about what?
That once they institute this new fee people won't have to pay to dispose of their electronics. Has it been officially stated anywhere? Be carefull about implying the common sense.
Jan 26, 2009
521 posts
153 upvotes
North York
LonesomeDove wrote: So why did you guys vote in the Liberals for a 2nd term? You guys deserve what you get. The Ontario Liberals put in a large tax increase in their 1st term, yet they were voted in again last year. Why the heck did the Ontario electorate turn on the Provincial Tories for funding religous schools? They do that here in BC and it is not a big deal.
Why did the Provincial Tories sell us out on the 407? Why do we pay exorbitant toll fees to some ****ing Spanish consortium when the 407 would have almost paid for itself by now? I have absolutely no love for the Liberal ass clowns, but the Cons are muppets in their own right. Regardless, politicians in general are the most corrupt and inept individuals you will ever encounter. They won't be happy until they've completely destroyed the middle class. Something has got to give because we can't go on being taxed the way we are for what little we receive in return. I've pretty much had it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 30, 2007
8910 posts
852 upvotes
Toronto
yu119995 wrote: Why did the Provincial Tories sell us out on the 407? Why do we pay exorbitant toll fees to some ****ing Spanish consortium when the 407

oh don't get me started on those bozos. they took a $1 balance on my account that they had made in error and blew it up to $243 in a matter of 6 months. I had to pay it off to kill it because they wouldn't fix it with any finality. no more 407 for me ever.
Jan 26, 2009
521 posts
153 upvotes
North York
belowzeros wrote: oh don't get me started on those bozos. they took a $1 balance on my account that they had made in error and blew it up to $243 in a matter of 6 months. I had to pay it off to kill it because they wouldn't fix it with any finality. no more 407 for me ever.
That's absolutely ****ing ridiculous!!! What the hell is going on here? How insane does that sound? The system is just basically failing. There is no reason why this sort of nonsense should ever occur.

If I were you, I would post this everywhere, but there is no way I would pay that fee.
Aug 23, 2008
10 posts
1 upvote
GTA
You are a bunch of mindless sheep. The government is using your compassion and emotion to rob you of your money. Who keeps track of where the fees are going? The electronic equipment recycled are reused by companies and you should only be charged a fee when you recycle the product not before because people who don't care or don't recycle will put the product in the regular garbage regardless. Ontario is already taxed a total of 13% which is ridiculous and that will soon be unified - now we have to pay fees/tax for buying electronics. What's next? Eventually there will be a "recycling fee" for everything. I am concerned for the environment and I always recycle - but I don't like being taken advantage of. I can honestly tell you that my electronics purchases in Ontario will be significantly reduced now.
Aug 23, 2008
10 posts
1 upvote
GTA
I just found out you also get TAXED 13% on the Recycling Fee! So if the fee is $40 it gets taxed to $45.20 --- I like how the media is so quite on this absurd issue - consumers should be protesting this injustice.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1998 posts
414 upvotes
Ottawa
orion49 wrote: I just found out you also get TAXED 13% on the Recycling Fee! So if the fee is $40 it gets taxed to $45.20 --- I like how the media is so quite on this absurd issue - consumers should be protesting this injustice.
They somehow have to find money to pay all those bailouts.