Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Electronique Hi Fi

Sony STR-DN1080 7.2 A/V Receiver

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2021 11:19 am
Tags:
None
Aug 16, 2018
109 posts
152 upvotes

Sony STR-DN1080 7.2 A/V Receiver

Deal Link:
Price:
$550
Savings:
$348
Retailer:
Electronique Hi Fi
Long story short. They lowered the price of the receiver to their "cost" due to my complaint about my order from Walmart marketplace they canceled. Had bought it for $248 but was apparently a "glitch". Good price on a very highly reviewed receiver though. He lowered the price specifically for my purchase only. Was never returned to the regular price afterwards as it was supposed to be.

Seller is located in Montreal. Staff i dealt with seemed very polite, knowledgeable and professional.

Specs below

https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/av-r ... str-dn1080
20 replies
Aug 16, 2018
109 posts
152 upvotes
That's good to know. I'll gladly buy from them again in the future.
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
12038 posts
5146 upvotes
Great receiver, if HDMI 2.1 is not something you care about, which in its current state on most receivers it shouldn't be Winking Face
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5779 posts
6722 upvotes
Alberta
CFRTim wrote: Great receiver, if HDMI 2.1 is not something you care about, which in its current state on most receivers it shouldn't be Winking Face
Indeed. I'm waiting for the 2.1 issues to get resolved because I need a new receiver to handle the switching for my XSX and PS5 to my LG CX. Frustrating that there aren't any options that I know of.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2008
1190 posts
501 upvotes
Abbotsford
OP can you please put the price in the title
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3160 posts
1856 upvotes
Kingston
I think someone from that store reads RFD posts. I went to check a few reviews and then returned to the store page to order at this reduced price and the price had just gone up to $898.

The current price is the same as the Costco price and with their warranty and returns I’d order there I think. I’m not that willing to spend out nearly $900 on a three year old receiver though.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
3428 posts
2377 upvotes
Toronto
Lush78 wrote: Indeed. I'm waiting for the 2.1 issues to get resolved because I need a new receiver to handle the switching for my XSX and PS5 to my LG CX. Frustrating that there aren't any options that I know of.
You could run those to the CX, then eARC to the receiver, but obviously some drawbacks here as well.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5779 posts
6722 upvotes
Alberta
AstonM wrote: You could run those to the CX, then eARC to the receiver, but obviously some drawbacks here as well.
I currently have a Denon 4300 with arc (4400 introduced earc). Tried it and audio delays through the few configurations I've tried, and no Atmos. Plus all my components are in an AV rack and TV is wall mounted. Need a new proper AVR and the silence/ignorance to the problem from manufacturers is concerning.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
3428 posts
2377 upvotes
Toronto
Lush78 wrote: I currently have a Denon 4300 with arc (4400 introduced earc). Tried it and audio delays through the few configurations I've tried, and no Atmos. Plus all my components are in an AV rack and TV is wall mounted. Need a new proper AVR and the silence/ignorance to the problem from manufacturers is concerning.
Yeah, probably 6+ months until you will get a solution. I know folks on AVS were buying a splitter of some sort, but obviously that's just added cost that will be redundant. I am also in the waiting game with you.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5779 posts
6722 upvotes
Alberta
AstonM wrote: Yeah, probably 6+ months until you will get a solution. I know folks on AVS were buying a splitter of some sort, but obviously that's just added cost that will be redundant. I am also in the waiting game with you.
Yeah, you're referring to this Sharc unit. Unfortunately, you mostly likely will not be able to use your AVR output to your TV for the rest of the components connected to the AVR because it creates a loop problem. This is a decent solution if only using a couple components in a simple configuration but I have 8 HDMI devices connected and used on my AVR (Cable, 2019 Shield Pro, XSX, PS5, PS4 Pro for homebrew, Nintendo Switch, Chromecast Ultra, and X360 for Goldeneye Remastered right now).

https://www.thenaudio.com/
Jul 29, 2013
300 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
I'm sure this is the wrong place to ask but it'll be a quick answer since I can seem to find it. I got six ceiling speakers in this house we moved into so would I need to a receiver that says 7.1 or higher in order to power these 6 speakers? It just feels crazy having to spend more than $600 on a receiver just to power these.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3160 posts
1856 upvotes
Kingston
Clocksmith25 wrote: I'm sure this is the wrong place to ask but it'll be a quick answer since I can seem to find it. I got six ceiling speakers in this house we moved into so would I need to a receiver that says 7.1 or higher in order to power these 6 speakers? It just feels crazy having to spend more than $600 on a receiver just to power these.
Front LR, rear LR and front or rear upper LR? Yes you’ll need 7.1 and a centre channel speaker too and probably a subwoofer if you want the full effect. I learned a long time ago that receivers for home theatre are expensive. The good news is my last one lasted 10 years before becoming outdated and going haywire due to a power surge.

Edit: I reread....6 ceiling? All in the same room?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5779 posts
6722 upvotes
Alberta
Clocksmith25 wrote: I'm sure this is the wrong place to ask but it'll be a quick answer since I can seem to find it. I got six ceiling speakers in this house we moved into so would I need to a receiver that says 7.1 or higher in order to power these 6 speakers? It just feels crazy having to spend more than $600 on a receiver just to power these.
I would personally add LF, C, RF, SL, SR speakers and a subwoofer to create a full Atmos 7.1.4 setup if the layout works.
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
12038 posts
5146 upvotes
JC69 wrote: I think someone from that store reads RFD posts. I went to check a few reviews and then returned to the store page to order at this reduced price and the price had just gone up to $898.

The current price is the same as the Costco price and with their warranty and returns I’d order there I think. I’m not that willing to spend out nearly $900 on a three year old receiver though.
Very true.
Although this is a nice receiver, not worth it at this price
Lush78 wrote:
Yeah, you're referring to this Sharc unit. Unfortunately, you mostly likely will not be able to use your AVR output to your TV for the rest of the components connected to the AVR because it creates a loop problem. This is a decent solution if only using a couple components in a simple configuration but I have 8 HDMI devices connected and used on my AVR (Cable, 2019 Shield Pro, XSX, PS5, PS4 Pro for homebrew, Nintendo Switch, Chromecast Ultra, and X360 for Goldeneye Remastered right now).
https://www.thenaudio.com/
Interesting, I just recently hooked up my 360 again. I heard about it, how and where you got it?
This is a good place to ask about it.

Home Theater Discussion Thread
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5779 posts
6722 upvotes
Alberta
I got it the moment it leaked. It should be easy enough to find and load if you have a JTAG/RGH X360 or use Xenia emulator on PC... I can't give anymore than that... The game is called Bean/Project Bean
Jul 29, 2013
300 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
JC69 wrote: Front LR, rear LR and front or rear upper LR? Yes you’ll need 7.1 and a centre channel speaker too and probably a subwoofer if you want the full effect. I learned a long time ago that receivers for home theatre are expensive. The good news is my last one lasted 10 years before becoming outdated and going haywire due to a power surge.

Edit: I reread....6 ceiling? All in the same room?
Yeah I got 6 ceiling speakers all in the basement
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2014
2400 posts
3918 upvotes
Onterrible
Is this really a deal? Or does it not go on sale regularly anymore?

Amazon, BB, Costco always have this thing at 450 on sale (I got it from Costco.ca).

Regular price in the 800s is wack.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
14353 posts
15717 upvotes
Oil Country
ChippewaBarr wrote: Is this really a deal? Or does it not go on sale regularly anymore?

Amazon, BB, Costco always have this thing at 450 on sale (I got it from Costco.ca).

Regular price in the 800s is wack.
Unfortunately, this year it is a deal. It's disappointing that a three year old receiver still sells for so much. Supply and demand during global pandemic.
Oct 25, 2018
8 posts
4 upvotes
I contacted the seller today and he told the best he can do is 998$

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)