• Jun 24th, 2015 10:58 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2007
2160 posts
3689 upvotes

Elio Motors >$6800 street legal 2 seater/100 mpg hwy

All Elio vehicles will come with A/C, power windows and locks, ABS and built-in stereo, and available with manual or automatic transmission.

inline, 3 cylinder, 1 liter, 70 HP, fuel-injected, DOHC gas-powered, liquid-cooled, automotive engine.

Top speed is in excess of 100 MPH, and the 0-60 speed is under 9.6 seconds

Safety

Each Elio comes equipped with a Safety Management System that includes three airbags – a reinforced roll-cage frame, Anti-Lock Braking System, and 50% larger crush zones than similar vehicles. Preliminary safety tests on computer models anticipate a 5-Star safety rating.

http://www.eliomotors.com/my-strengths/

video
http://www.eliomotors.com/videos/
60 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2007
2160 posts
3689 upvotes
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/ ... M420130103
Thu Jan 3, 2013 2:39pm EST

(Reuters) - Elio Motors has agreed to purchase a former General Motors Co (GM.N) assembly plant near Shreveport, Louisiana and will use it to build three-wheeled vehicles that it says will get more than 80 miles on a gallon of gasoline, the company said on Thursday.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
5739 posts
1562 upvotes
Toronto
Interesting... but this should be in Autos section rather.

Actually not even. I wouldn't want to be seen driving in that... it's hideous.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2007
1282 posts
273 upvotes
i like the mileage and the concept...too bad its so ugly. i would be embaressed to be seen in one of those. maybe version 2 will be better.
Forgive me father, for I have Slyned.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2007
1282 posts
273 upvotes
ToniCipriani wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2013 7:59 am
Interesting... but this should be in Autos section rather.

Actually not even. I wouldn't want to be seen driving in that... it's hideous.
i think i saw these elios on sale at toys r us right next to the fisher price cosy coupes
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5063 posts
545 upvotes
in a plane
It looks like someone chopped off the back from a Plymouth Prowler, which was hardly a design icon to start with. Also, 9.6 secs 0-60? God, I hope we aren't headed that way in our automotive life...
Doko ni itemo... hito wa tsunagatte iru.
  • Get an Amex - get lots of points - get good karma! :)
  • wandering amphibia – a travel blog for the non-frequent traveler
Dec 8, 2008
309 posts
4 upvotes
good thing that a t-rex trike has more oomph to run from this ugly t-rexee
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2007
1282 posts
273 upvotes
http://youtu.be/FMR70aZoJyw

"Fun
It’s a blast to drive. Imagine every little errand, every daily commute being something you look forward to because it means you’ll be driving your Elio. It looks cool. And face it, you are what you drive, so that will make you one cool person."

If you are still reading after that section...then this "car" is probably for you.
Aug 25, 2008
536 posts
74 upvotes
Halifax, NS
I wonder how it is in the snow?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5038 posts
1276 upvotes
It's not just that it's ugly, it's also I can't see driving that in the winter, or let alone in the pothole-plagged Montreal streets.

If it's going to be just a summer car, it's going to have to look much nicer than that :facepalm:

Don't get me wrong, I like the concept, anything that explores new ways of reducing our fossile fuels consumption deserves our appreciation, but it had to be REALISTIC.

I can see some suburban lady driving that thing in Cali or something...
That video where it's used as a family vehicle with kids etc = again not realistic!
May 1, 2011
655 posts
168 upvotes
Near GTA
ivorm wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2013 8:48 am
This is why I doubt they bring this model to Canada. Way too low. It's a snowplow
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2007
2160 posts
3689 upvotes
ivorm wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2013 8:48 am
Great Traction

The engine is in the front and it is a front-wheel-drive vehicle. So, with a low center of gravity and weight towards the front, you’ll get great traction action – even in the snow.
A Suspension as Independent as You

The first cousin of cool is smooth. So we’ve built Elio on an independent suspension with unequal length control arms, coil-over-spring and shock in the front and mono-shock with coil-over-spring and shock in the rear. The ground clearance is 5.75″ — similar to most of the passenger vehicles you see on the road today.
15 inch tires.
Mar 14, 2005
852 posts
58 upvotes
Curious to see if they certify it for Canada to meet CMVSS regs. My guess would be no.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
10149 posts
1690 upvotes
Montreal
WHO wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2013 8:51 am
Don't get me wrong, I like the concept, anything that explores new ways of reducing our fossile fuels consumption deserves our appreciation, but it had to be REALISTIC.
nobody has any money to actually fix roads these days so the only vehicle you should buy now is a truck or suv which crapcans the whole 'environmental' angle. those things would fall into some of the potholes we have around here not to mention crashing into the monster-sized speed bumps.
× < >