Real Estate

Email notification of new property listings?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2017 8:28 am
[OP]
Feb 18, 2013
145 posts
16 upvotes
Scarborough

Email notification of new property listings?

Hello all,

Is there an email list/website I can sign up to receive 'instant' notifications of new listings in the east Toronto/ Pickering area?

Our realtor has signed us up to receive emails every morning of new listings from the previous day through TREB, but sometimes getting the listing the next morning is too late!

If not instant notifications, are there any other services that notify when new listings are available in given locations besides from TREB?

Thanks for the help!
31 replies
Mar 2, 2014
223 posts
61 upvotes
Hey, just tell your realtor to change notifications to instant, rather than daily digest.
[OP]
Feb 18, 2013
145 posts
16 upvotes
Scarborough
Really? Didn't know this was an option... Will run it by him, thanks
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
8709 posts
893 upvotes
Toronto
Are listings really disappearing before it hits Realtor? In this day, it's pretty much listed for a week, then goes to open bidding which will 100% get more than a non-offer night offer. In other words, there's no advantage anymore to getting listings early.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
3391 posts
519 upvotes
Toronto
at1212b wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 12:37 am
Are listings really disappearing before it hits Realtor? In this day, it's pretty much listed for a week, then goes to open bidding which will 100% get more than a non-offer night offer. In other words, there's no advantage anymore to getting listings early.
If someone is really aggressive and really wants a particular property and has money to burn, he can submit an offer asap with the a restricted 24hr condition or whatever. Nothing is 100%... it's just a game where the seller has to take a chance on how much he thinks he'll get.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
8709 posts
893 upvotes
Toronto
boyohboy wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 12:46 am
If someone is really aggressive and really wants a particular property and has money to burn, he can submit an offer asap with the a restricted 24hr condition or whatever. Nothing is 100%... it's just a game where the seller has to take a chance on how much he thinks he'll get.
Sure, but in today's market, any seller can get more in a competitive bidding war. It's known that any aggressive person today likely won't be the most aggressive at the end of the day. That's why even the hottest listings today do not just 'disappear' anymore. It's always after 6 days or so. I'm sure there's still pockets or a type of seller that really doesn't care, but in today's market, that early mover advantage is gone. That's why the whole bully offer which any pre-emptive offer is because all listings have an offer night, often gets rejected or gets 'outbullied'.
Aug 18, 2009
473 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
at1212b wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 1:05 am
Sure, but in today's market, any seller can get more in a competitive bidding war. It's known that any aggressive person today likely won't be the most aggressive at the end of the day. That's why even the hottest listings today do not just 'disappear' anymore. It's always after 6 days or so. I'm sure there's still pockets or a type of seller that really doesn't care, but in today's market, that early mover advantage is gone. That's why the whole bully offer which any pre-emptive offer is because all listings have an offer night, often gets rejected or gets 'outbullied'.
Maybe it's area dependent but your statement is definitely not accurate for newer homes in Etobicoke. I've noticed these rarely make it to offer night and are sometimes gone even before the open house. Bully offers are plentiful and get accepted more often than not.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
3391 posts
519 upvotes
Toronto
at1212b wrote:
I like your confidence saying as if you knew every offer details of every transaction that ever happened. Ok then.

And OP location says Arviat btw.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
8709 posts
893 upvotes
Toronto
boyohboy wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 1:37 am
I like your confidence saying as if you knew every offer details of every transaction that ever happened. Ok then.

And OP location says Arviat btw.
I don't know what Arviat is as it's some kind of default setting but OP said Pickering/East Scarbs where I'm living. I've been studying the market alot for an investment propery, looking at solds, etc., and rarely is there a sold house that does not have a listing for 6 days or so. Go read realtor stories, blogs, etc., and it is far less common than before to have a "OHhh I lost out on the house because I didn't get the listing in time". Right now, the way it basically works is "By this time, submit your best offer.. no conditions".

This well-known realtor guy says as well every listing now has an offer night. That mean the only other way around it is a bully offer:
http://torontorealtyblog.com/archives/16331

But then, he goes on to say why it doesn't work these days:
But as a seller? If you accept that bully offer, it means you’ll never get to know what you could have had on offer night.

Before I get into my story, let me tell you right off that bat that nine times out of ten, I would never advise my seller to accept a bully offer.

If this was 2015? It might be 50/50.

2016? I’d wait for offer night more often than not.

But in 2017, you can’t accept a bully offer, as a seller for one simple, but incredibly important reason: you have absolutely no idea what your property is “worth.”

How is that for “crystal ball” territory?

Did I just say, as a professional in this industry, that I have no idea what a property is worth?

Yes. Yes I did.

But with “worth” in quotations, you know there’s more to the story.

I can tell you what I think a property is worth, either in terms of fair market value based on recent comparable sales, based on my ever-accurate “gut feeling,” or based on what I think a buyer could pay, in this crazy market.

But can I tell you what the property is worth to a crazy buyer, in this crazy market, based on their own definition of what a property is “worth?”

No, I can’t.

And that is why you wait until offer night.

http://torontorealtyblog.com/archives/16858
(this is the norm you see. Plenty of stories of realtors being blown away at what they're getting on offer night)

I've talked to many realtors recently and they all said the same thing. I was at a open house reality talking to one realtor who had a house listed 2 doors down from another house which sold as they took a bully offer pretty early from a builder just the week before. Basically the same house. The builder bought house was slightly less 'nice'. It was sold by very high volume well-known realtor in the area. Sold for 730 or something. The Open House Realtor said that was wrong for the agent to do that in today's market, and said he screwed his seller. What does the 2nd house go for on offer night? $880K.

Now have you put in offers recently (including East Scarb/Pickering)? Bought a place recently? (which I have... not primary residence) I have, and have talked to many realtors along the way including my own, and they all said it's offer night. You can submit a bid, but the bully offers don't work as they used to as mentioned above and by people in the industry. Better for the seller to wait till everything is in. And do you even know how it works nowadays on offer night to get the best deal? Let's hear it.

And this market, my family has had 4 purchases in the area, so it's an market and area I'm familiar with though not claiming to be an 'expert'. Again, does it happen? Sure, but in today's market, it's the exception. And how come the OP and his realtor doesn't jump on their own pre-listing bully offer if he/she has a legit chance of beating another bully offer? Do these other realtors also have an instant jeopardy 'cheat' button to beat everybody? If OP was really serious and a contender, they would have made their own aggressive bully offers or Realtor would have sent him/her something to the effect of "Let's move on this asap".

Since we're talking about the vicinity, wouldn't it be nice to see these prices again when the region was quite underpriced.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2011
3784 posts
1011 upvotes
Thornhill
Regardless what one Realtor says, even listings with offer dates are being sold within mere hours of being listed in bully offers. In the last week alone I've had three appointments to show cancelled as they were sold in a bully offer within 24 hours of listing.

OP you can ask your Realtor to set you up on Collaborate.
at1212b wrote:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
8709 posts
893 upvotes
Toronto
licenced wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 11:31 am
Regardless what one Realtor says, even listings with offer dates are being sold within mere hours of being listed in bully offers. In the last week alone I've had three appointments to show cancelled as they were sold in a bully offer within 24 hours of listing.

OP you can ask your Realtor to set you up on Collaborate.
I guess I stand corrected. I'm sure it still happens as I mentioned. But more so in certain areas than others. Maybe slower moving markets or more specialized housing types. But not in a commodity type area where price discovery is still happening such as East Scarbs/Pickering. And again, at a much smaller rate then before. Maybe another great way is to get the amount of houses sold with DOM of 1 or less as a % of total and overall numbers. I know about a year ago and before, it was pretty common. And to get a bully bid was great many moons ago. I would like to see how this trend is now. Basically if you took the last months listing all over the city, and put it down, I would bet there are way more 'DOM of 6 days" then ever before. Compared to plenty of "DOM of 1" that was common before.

If the Realtor knew you were a serious contender for a specific area to go in with an aggressive over the top bid, they would have similar access or give the same focused priority to the client and say "Hey, this is coming up.. put your bully offer bid in now before it goes to market!". I'm sure if your client was an aggressive serious one, that said give me listings asap so I can put in a very aggressive bid, you would have accommodated. Especially if you know they got deep pockets. I know there are still lazy sellers and listing agents that don't care about the price and therefore want it over asap as I also mentioned, but I'm sure almost all Realtors will say you'll get much more in the open market, pitting people's desperation against each other which is the norm today. You can still try to get around it but not like before. Again, I've been following this area daily intensely especially the last 3+ months, and DOM of 1 is almost non existent. DOM of ~1 week is common and Final goes way over List.

To sit around and go "gee, I would like to get instant notifications even though I would probably never move on it quick enough or aggressive enough", is more of a fun exercise IMO. I guess it doesn't hurt to try to get it on Day 0/1 still which is then a very good reason to get instant notifications, but judging by the OP, which is more common, it won't really make a difference and potentially waste everybody's time in putting in an offer that has very little chance of winning.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2011
3784 posts
1011 upvotes
Thornhill
at1212b wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 12:22 pm
I guess I stand corrected. I'm sure it still happens as I mentioned. But more so in certain areas than others. Maybe slower moving markets or more specialized housing types. But not in a commodity type area where price discovery is still happening such as East Scarbs/Pickering. And again, at a much smaller rate then before. Maybe another great way is to get the amount of houses sold with DOM of 1 or less as a % of total and overall numbers.
Well, in E8 for example so far this year 15% of all freehold listings were sold in under 2 days. More than half sold in under 6 days. Not all of these properties had an offer date and some of the prices paid were absolutely out of nowhere.

Here's the problem when reading real estate blogs and I don't car who it's from or how knowledgeable they profess to be, never take what hey say as gospel fact because I can assure you they are quite often wrong.

Not to malign that particular writer but as you can see that while they strongly state to wait until offer night, they and their seller caved. That's what should have stood out in that entire story - the seller and possibly their Realtor figured that on offer night no one would beat the bully.

Back to my first paragraph. Just as an example and they aren't rare. There were two recent sales in E1. both listed for just under a million, both with offer dates, both sold within hours for close to 150% of asking price. Both sales prices were off the charts. This was something that I saw last year and I believe even mentioned it in here. Buyers are pulling numbers out of the air to get a property and there's no rhyme nor reason behind it. I've had buyers do it - over riding my suggested offer price of market value +X for good measure and slamming several tens of thousands more to still lose out because once a bully offer is registered all buyers who viewed or expressed an interest n the property must be notified and a few come out to play along.

I'm showing properties this afternoon, one of which came on market last night and I begged the listing rep to please let my buyers see it before accepting a bully and apparently it had already had almost a dozen showings when I spoke to him first thing in the morning. There's an offer date and I've no doubt it will be gone by midnight.
If the Realtor knew you were a serious contender for a specific area to go in with an aggressive over the top bid, they would have similar access or give the same focused priority to the client and say "Hey, this is coming up.. put your bully offer bid in now before it goes to market!". I'm sure if your client was an aggressive serious one, that said give me listings asap so I can put in a very aggressive bid, you would have accommodated. Especially if you know they got deep pockets. I know there are still lazy sellers and listing agents that don't care about the price and therefore want it over asap as I also mentioned, but I'm sure almost all Realtors will say you'll get much more in the open market, pitting people's desperation against each other which is the norm today. You can still try to get around it but not like before. Again, I've been following this area daily intensely especially the last 3+ months, and DOM of 1 is almost non existent. DOM of ~1 week is common and Final goes way over List.
This industry has too many people who follow the same strategy which is why so many say this is how it's done. It's those who look to do things differently that do their clients justice. At one time long before the market became so irrational and still in some areas where people aren't clamouring to buy, yes, it is true, it is best to expose a property to the open market for a reasonable period of time. But that reasonable period of time was because people would wait for the evenings or weekend to view. That is no longer the case, buyers are getting to them as quickly as they can.
Jul 14, 2002
606 posts
74 upvotes
licenced wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 12:51 pm
This industry has too many people who follow the same strategy which is why so many say this is how it's done. It's those who look to do things differently that do their clients justice. At one time long before the market became so irrational and still in some areas where people aren't clamouring to buy, yes, it is true, it is best to expose a property to the open market for a reasonable period of time. But that reasonable period of time was because people would wait for the evenings or weekend to view. That is no longer the case, buyers are getting to them as quickly as they can.
the times we live in, imagine telling your boss that you need to leave work asap to see/offer for a property.
maybe it's the real estate agents that are viewing on their clients behalf.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
8709 posts
893 upvotes
Toronto
licenced wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 12:51 pm
Well, in E8 for example so far this year 15% of all freehold listings were sold in under 2 days. More than half sold in under 6 days. Not all of these properties had an offer date and some of the prices paid were absolutely out of nowhere.

Here's the problem when reading real estate blogs and I don't car who it's from or how knowledgeable they profess to be, never take what hey say as gospel fact because I can assure you they are quite often wrong.

Not to malign that particular writer but as you can see that while they strongly state to wait until offer night, they and their seller caved. That's what should have stood out in that entire story - the seller and possibly their Realtor figured that on offer night no one would beat the bully.

Back to my first paragraph. Just as an example and they aren't rare. There were two recent sales in E1. both listed for just under a million, both with offer dates, both sold within hours for close to 150% of asking price. Both sales prices were off the charts. This was something that I saw last year and I believe even mentioned it in here. Buyers are pulling numbers out of the air to get a property and there's no rhyme nor reason behind it. I've had buyers do it - over riding my suggested offer price of market value +X for good measure and slamming several tens of thousands more to still lose out because once a bully offer is registered all buyers who viewed or expressed an interest n the property must be notified and a few come out to play along.

I'm showing properties this afternoon, one of which came on market last night and I begged the listing rep to please let my buyers see it before accepting a bully and apparently it had already had almost a dozen showings when I spoke to him first thing in the morning. There's an offer date and I've no doubt it will be gone by midnight.

Appreciate the time taken to explain in more detail what's going on out there. At the end of the day though, sounds like even getting notifications, by the time you're (the buyer) is done going through it, it's too late. I still think a year ago, it was a higher % for the average property which forced many sellers to say "stop with this nonsense and let's just stick with the offer night" as the default today vs the other way around before. As often, the big headline numbers (which sets a benchmark) blowing the list and expectation is from offer night. I haven't ready many stories of 1 offer causing such a craze which is what's added gasoline to the fire.

Overall, I'm still contending what I said before, the average person asking for instant notifications won't be beneficial. If you are in the more elite buyer category, you wouldn't be asking for it.

Compared to even 2-3 years ago in areas like Scarborough when there were less offer nights. It was just whomever registered first got the crack at it and when having your buyer realtor representation really helped to actually negotiate. Indeed having access before it hit the market was a great advantage. Today, you really have to have 'deep' pockets. And going back to what I'm saying, basically have to offer it sight unseen or property unreviewed, bid the Max/Most you can in the bully (and this I bet largely comes from foreign money.. a guess.. you're not going to change my mind on this). Or on offer night bid the max. That's ultimately what today's market comes down to: buyer realtor if they're realistic will say "you only have one more shot at it.. make it your best"
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2014
3194 posts
496 upvotes
Toronto
caddie444 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 11:08 pm
Hello all,

Is there an email list/website I can sign up to receive 'instant' notifications of new listings in the east Toronto/ Pickering area?

Our realtor has signed us up to receive emails every morning of new listings from the previous day through TREB, but sometimes getting the listing the next morning is too late!

If not instant notifications, are there any other services that notify when new listings are available in given locations besides from TREB?

Thanks for the help!
If your agent is sending you listings the day after they are listed, it's their fault.

I live in Pickering as well...pretty hot market. Your agent has to be constantly on MLS and sending you new listings. You have to see the property that night and put in a bully offer that night (assuming the seller is accepting them). If you wait until the offer date, you will be in a bidding war.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Mortgage Agent and Real Estate Sales Representative
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel