Real Estate

Email notification of new property listings?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2017 12:42 pm
Jul 14, 2002
557 posts
51 upvotes
at1212b wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 1:41 pm
That's ultimately what today's market comes down to: buyer realtor if they're realistic will say "you only have one more shot at it.. make it your best"
Sellers euphorically listening to Pat Benatar - 'Hit me with your best shot' on offer night.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
3271 posts
321 upvotes
all the properties on the Toronto East side will have specified offer dates so you're likely looking at ~ 7 DOM either way which should give you time to view the property and think on it.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2011
3677 posts
931 upvotes
Thornhill
at1212b wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 1:41 pm
Overall, I'm still contending what I said before, the average person asking for instant notifications won't be beneficial. If you are in the more elite buyer category, you wouldn't be asking for it.
Not from what I see and also not from how RFD buyers portray their wont to get info fast.
Compared to even 2-3 years ago in areas like Scarborough when there were less offer nights. It was just whomever registered first got the crack at it and when having your buyer realtor representation really helped to actually negotiate. Indeed having access before it hit the market was a great advantage.
Yes the bully offer was not anywhere near as prevalent. This didn't just happen overnight the entire thing from list at a couple points more than the last sale, take offers anytime, to holding off on offers while listed at market value (hell I remember when I came up with the way to hold back offers while listed at market value, I tried it first in Markham, buyer Realtors were upset with me asking what the heck I was doing, then I started seeing it all over) and it's given way to, from under list by 5% to under list at 20%, plus offer dates, no bullies, adjusted mid to accept bullies and all manner of crap. It was and is an evolution not anywhere near being an overnight strategy.
Today, you really have to have 'deep' pockets.
Yes, you do but I do not agree with you that it is foreign money. Foreign money is pronounced in York Region and the high end Toronto housing. It is not pronounced anywhere else - that's resident boomer money driving those prices. Trust me when I say this, Realtor blogs and real estate news will eventually catch on to that fact. But the majority aren't good at analyzing the market. [/quote]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
8531 posts
789 upvotes
Toronto
nx6288 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 3:49 pm
all the properties on the Toronto East side will have specified offer dates so you're likely looking at ~ 7 DOM either way which should give you time to view the property and think on it.
Not according to some here. Apparently it's common for a listing to go in 1 day before it hits the market. I mean meadowvale, port union, west Pickering gets swooped up so If you don't get instant notification, it's too late.

Although I know of 2 near me where they basically did that but that's bc last time they listed, they didn't get offers at or above ask. Both are also absentee landlords so they just unloaded it. There's a house also near me that has a coming soon sign. I saw a guy there that was trying to talk to the owner. Looks like he'll beat those on the instant notification list!
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2011
3677 posts
931 upvotes
Thornhill
at1212b wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 8:09 pm
Not according to some here. Apparently it's common for a listing to go in 1 day before it hits the market.
If you are quoting me, I never said before it hits the market. The industry has no way of knowing that. Please refer back to my posts.

Nx6288 contends that all properties on TO's east side will have an offer date so they're looking at 7 days or so. I wish people woudn't just post stuff off the cuff. I gave you information, you can choose to believe it or not but you ought to know by now, I deal in facts. These are listings in E7&E8 that sold in 2 days or under this year. To save time I reviewed only those sold in March as demarcated by the line. Those that had set offer dates state ththey had a date, yet they were sold via bully offer. Those that on't indicate 2 days sold in one day.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
8531 posts
789 upvotes
Toronto
licenced wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 9:42 pm
If you are quoting me, I never said before it hits the market. The industry has no way of knowing that. Please refer back to my posts.

Nx6288 contends that all properties on TO's east side will have an offer date so they're looking at 7 days or so. I wish people woudn't just post stuff off the cuff. I gave you information, you can choose to believe it or not but you ought to know by now, I deal in facts. These are listings in E7&E8 that sold in 2 days or under this year. To save time I reviewed only those sold in March as demarcated by the line. Those that had set offer dates state ththey had a date, yet they were sold via bully offer. Those that on't indicate 2 days sold in one day.

Absolute numbers don't mean much. How much is that of the total? Don't have to post the exact screen shot. Can be calculated on Excel. Sorry, don't mean to cause alot of extra work.

Also, how does this % compare to the same period yoy (year over year for last 2 years).

That's how a trend is assessed. Absolute numbers without context doesn't mean much. I also notice existing 19 have an offer date which is 58%. Is this below average? Average? Compared to the past. And instead of E07/E08 (which I or OP didn't mention), how come E10 which is East Scarborough (Port Union, West Rouge, Highland Creek) and E12 (West Pickering) wasn't generally looked at. The area the OP specifically identified. Agincourt is more Central and E08 Cliffside is south.

And Agincourt, isn't that alot of Chinese money? I'll admit, you do have the facts, and I might been off, but I still stand by the loss of first mover advantage of instant listings before public availability vs previous times (unless the % trend says otherwise). Cliffside IMO is more of a specialty market where teardowns are very common (I grew up just on the north side and even know it's a 'strange' market for the average Scarbarian), and as I mentioned, anywhere where there is foreign money such as Agincourt/Miliken. West Rouge, Port Union, Highland Creek, Pickering isn't such a specialty market. Regular lots, generally commodity type housing. Highland Creek maybe the least although that as a speciality play is largely done. Or in Scarborough, Kennedy Park/Bendale/Orton Park/Woburn area where a bungalow is a commodity.

As I said initially, this was in response to the benefit of "Instant Notification" before it goes on the public 'MLS/Realtor" site. I find it unlikely that a 'regular' person sitting around, waiting for instant notifications can scan through the instant notification, think about it, then instruct their agent to set up a viewing, think about an offer, etc. The ones I heard about, the agent is actively looking/aware, and will contact the client immediately pretty much. In other words, they're both on the same page and very active. And often, it's the agent who's aware of the seriousness and reality of the possibility. The fact that a person has to ask how to get instant notification here means they're not in touch with their own agent or agent isn't prioritizing that client.

And it wasn't just a blog. A realtor I used also said that whole offer night is the norm now (I guess one could define over 50% as the norm/majority). And this again is for more 'generic' markets. There are still very high priced or more niche neighbourhoods. But areas like E10, I bet also along the Danforth, Mid Scarbs where the housing/lots are more commoditized has a higher firm offer night set-up.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
3271 posts
321 upvotes
I didn't know you'd go through all that trouble just to prove me wrong but fine. I meant to say Scarborough (E11) usually goes around 7 days. I live in the area, I bought almost 2 years ago and have been following the listings/sold info ever since.
licenced wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 9:42 pm

Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
3322 posts
857 upvotes
caddie444 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 11:08 pm
Hello all,

Is there an email list/website I can sign up to receive 'instant' notifications of new listings in the east Toronto/ Pickering area?

Our realtor has signed us up to receive emails every morning of new listings from the previous day through TREB, but sometimes getting the listing the next morning is too late!

If not instant notifications, are there any other services that notify when new listings are available in given locations besides from TREB?

Thanks for the help!
Sounds like the type of thing you could aks you realtor to send.

Or , Just keep visiting and refreshing zolo.ca a couple time per day. Listing show up there before the public MLS
Jan 31, 2016
262 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto, ON
caddie444 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 11:08 pm
Hello all,

Is there an email list/website I can sign up to receive 'instant' notifications of new listings in the east Toronto/ Pickering area?

Our realtor has signed us up to receive emails every morning of new listings from the previous day through TREB, but sometimes getting the listing the next morning is too late!

If not instant notifications, are there any other services that notify when new listings are available in given locations besides from TREB?

Thanks for the help!
We are selling a detached bungalow in Pickering soon. 3 bdr & 1 bth upstairs and 3 bdr & 1 bth downstairs in Bay Ridges. PM me if interested and I will keep you in the loop. Would entertain a private sale.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
8531 posts
789 upvotes
Toronto
Ketchenany wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 8:49 am
We are selling a detached bungalow in Pickering soon. 3 bdr & 1 bth upstairs and 3 bdr & 1 bth downstairs in Bay Ridges. PM me if interested and I will keep you in the loop. Would entertain a private sale.
Just wondering where are you planning to move? In this market, how comfortable would you feel in negotiating a price when the market is kind of all over the place? Though it seems in that area, it's more 'predictable' based on the taxes and general comparables.

OP, anybody interested in this should seriously consider this if you're looking.
Jan 31, 2016
262 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto, ON
at1212b wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 9:20 am
Just wondering where are you planning to move? In this market, how comfortable would you feel in negotiating a price when the market is kind of all over the place? Though it seems in that area, it's more 'predictable' based on the taxes and general comparables.

OP, anybody interested in this should seriously consider this if you're looking.
Not primary, "cashing out" as some say to reinvest. I have been watching the market in the area and confident with my asking. (nice comparable recently sold) Large lot, no one behind and in-law suite.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2011
3677 posts
931 upvotes
Thornhill
Well gee 1212b,

now you want to debate the validity of absolute numbers, percentages, yearly comps and averages? Your post to which I initially responded included these two absolutes:
That's why even the hottest listings today do not just 'disappear' anymore. It's always after 6 days or so. I'm sure there's still pockets or a type of seller that really doesn't care, but in today's market, that early mover advantage is gone. That's why the whole bully offer which any pre-emptive offer is because all listings have an offer night, often gets rejected or gets 'outbullied'.
Why move your own goal posts to defend your statements?

You also said "East Scarbs" that's a wide swath and you provided no bondaries to the OP, but you want the OP to apply that "Eat Scarbs" to wherever it is OP is looking without knowing exactly where OPmeans by "East Toronto/Pickering." I chose two MLS districts in East Torontos and now you want to define the area since the facts don't fit with your assessment?

And what instant notifications before a property goes live on the MLS are you talking about? There is no such tool available to the industry.

Whatever it is you've heard about or aware as to notices is yesterday's news. In post #10 I suggested this to the OP
OP you can ask your Realtor to set you up on Collaborate.
Any TREB member who is not utilizing that for a client like the OP who wants to be right on top of notices is behind the times.

As for what you're told is the norm, I gave you specifics for two areas, I'm not arguing that an offer date isn't prevalent, but when Realtors start shoehorning how it all works into a narrow view is where they fall down on the job representing their clients. The bully advantage goes to the client whose Realtor isn't following the crowd and the crowd gets to see the sold notice because they waited for the offer date to arrive - and they're how the majority operate I have to say.
Penalty Box
Feb 2, 2014
3096 posts
468 upvotes
Toronto
nx6288 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 3:49 pm
Unfortunately this logic is not always accurate.

Bully offers my friend...bully offers.

A good real estate (representing the buyer) should be doing their best to secure the property asap (regardless if there is an offer date or not). Bully offers are very common in this marketplace.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Mortgage Agent and Real Estate Sales Representative
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
8531 posts
789 upvotes
Toronto
licenced wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 11:19 am
Well gee 1212b,

now you want to debate the validity of absolute numbers, percentages, yearly comps and averages? Your post to which I initially responded included these two absolutes:

Why move your own goal posts to defend your statements?

You also said "East Scarbs" that's a wide swath and you provided no bondaries to the OP, but you want the OP to apply that "Eat Scarbs" to wherever it is OP is looking without knowing exactly where OPmeans by "East Toronto/Pickering." I chose two MLS districts in East Torontos and now you want to define the area since the facts don't fit with your assessment?

And what instant notifications before a property goes live on the MLS are you talking about? There is no such tool available to the industry.

Whatever it is you've heard about or aware as to notices is yesterday's news. In post #10 I suggested this to the OP
Any TREB member who is not utilizing that for a client like the OP who wants to be right on top of notices is behind the times.

As for what you're told is the norm, I gave you specifics for two areas, I'm not arguing that an offer date isn't prevalent, but when Realtors start shoehorning how it all works into a narrow view is where they fall down on the job representing their clients. The bully advantage goes to the client whose Realtor isn't following the crowd and the crowd gets to see the sold notice because they waited for the offer date to arrive - and they're how the majority operate I have to say.
Maybe my wording was a bit too strong, but IMO, that's how it works for the average folk which they are if they're trying to view listings asap themselves. If it's that competitive, absolute numbers does not provide the advantage when the whole size of the market (which is far more competitive) has to be considered. And yes, prior number/% still matter. I used 6 days as a way to say less than a week. Maybe it's 4 days. Maybe it's 3. The majority, especially in that region is List Tues-Wed-or Thurs. Then take offers Mon or Tues. So getting a listing on Treb the morning after a listing goes live as being too late is a little far-fetched if you're the one asking for it. What's the point of having an Agent if they're the ones not honing in on something for me the instant it goes live?

I assumed people who live or grew up outside of Scarborough knew what "East Scarbs" meant. For Us (and the area OP mentioned), it's anything East of let's say Markham Road, centered around Lawrence, Ellesemere, and Sheppard up to the end of the city Port Union/West Rouge/Highland Creek. Where I grew up and where my parents still live near Cliffside, RH King, Kingston Rd to Markham Rd, Eglinton GO Stn, that's "South Scarbs". South of Kingston for the average person here is an 'elite' enclave. Anybody asking specifically probably has a good idea when I refer to it as "East Scarborough". More so if you grew up in the area.

Really, anything on Sheppard or north where Agincourt is "North" Scarborough. If OP said that, I would have said you'd better get your agent to be more active then because the Chinese do things differently. Laurier Collegiate where I went to School for a couple of years, Guildwood area, is "SouthEast" Scarbs. I'm not disputing at all that doing things differently is needed. But I'm still saying for a commodity type neighbourhood like East Scarborough/West Pickering which is a specific more connected area (not a pocket in the south or north), if getting a instant listing (i.e. 2 seconds after) notification it is posted, instead of 7 am the next day provides that much of a detriment, OP likely won't be able to get the house anyways. In the Old days. yes! If OP was a serious contender and a different class of buyer to take advantage of "instant notifications", they would have had their agent discover and push for it right away. Which is why I still chuckle at the request. I too would love instant notifications to 'study' and observe the market.

Edit: Maybe I am wrong. Maybe someone is better off getting instant notifications themselves, then at light speed, making the move. Probably the best way is to not even look at it in person, put in a way over the top bid, with a huge huge deposit?
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel