Parenting & Family

emerald green color stool. what does it means?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 12th, 2007 10:15 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2004
1504 posts
223 upvotes
gta

emerald green color stool. what does it means?

is this normal?
my 2 and half month old son just had one of those.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4397 posts
85 upvotes
One time my little brother when we were kids ate too many of those ninja turtle cookies (they were green) and his poo was green. No idea why your kids is though. You should probrably take him/her to the doctor and ask if you want a medical opinion.
Oct 17, 2004
343 posts
14 upvotes
umm..is your son 2.5 MONTHS old or 2.5 YEARS old?

coz..if he's 2.5 Months, its pretty normal to have multi-coloured poop..ranging from mustard yellow to army green. for my son, if he's on breastmilk, his poop is mustard yellow. if he's on formula, it turns an ugly green (the iron in the formula turns it darker)

but if he's 2.5 years old..better see the doc!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 21, 2003
6755 posts
755 upvotes
Think back - did he have a slushee with purple or blue dye in it, or a freezie?? If so, that might be your answer. {If he is the 2.5 year old} but keep an eye on it and take him in to the Dr. if you see anything else. We're not medical experts here, so I am adding my comment, but please take him in if you think you need to. I would bet he ate some interesting dye to make it change color.
Nov 22, 2006
712 posts
12 upvotes
I'm with jory on this one. Grape kool aid and everything similar will produce the shocking result you have encountered. It ain't easy being green.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1998 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
kaimui22 wrote:
May 22nd, 2007 8:20 am
umm..is your son 2.5 MONTHS old or 2.5 YEARS old?

coz..if he's 2.5 Months, its pretty normal to have multi-coloured poop..ranging from mustard yellow to army green. for my son, if he's on breastmilk, his poop is mustard yellow. if he's on formula, it turns an ugly green (the iron in the formula turns it darker)

but if he's 2.5 years old..better see the doc!
I was thinking the exact same thing
Oct 15, 2001
912 posts
17 upvotes
Just like others said, once a while is okay.

He will have the green colour stool again when teething. But 3 month (now :) ) is too young for teething (or may not?).
Feb 2, 2007
9 posts
IF your son is breast fed - bright green poop means that he drank a lot of foremilk. He needs to feed longer on the same side. Foremilk is very watery and goes thru the baby quickly - thus green with digestive juices that haven't had time to work. The hind milk that comes at the end of feeding is thicker, i believe has more nutrients, and takes longer to digest.

There is a website: www.kellymom.com they have every question and answer about breastfeeding that you can imagine. (some a little over the top)

HTH
× < >