• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2019 3:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1491 upvotes

Emergency Alerts system buzzing for Amber Alerts :(

My phone has startled me twice in the past hour with a disturbingly loud buzzing for Amber Alerts, missing 8 year old Gabriel McCallum with Lynda McCallum as suspect. Are you receiving the same?

I'm getting alerts even though it's supposed to be somewhere in the Thunder Bay area. I can't say I agree with this use. Domestic "kidnappings" happen, but I thought this was for public emergencies, like earthquakes or other natural disasters, public menaces (e.g. terrorist attacks, killers on the loose), etc. And Amber Alerts where the child is at risk of serious harm or death.

What do others think?
Last edited by Guest439488 on May 14th, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1263 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17777 posts
1766 upvotes
Space for rent
Yeah, it's for Gabriel am 8 year old who's been kidnapped by his mother.

What do I think? It's a minor inconvenience. I'm surprised they didn't utilize it sooner. If you have your phone on DND, it probably won't come through until the next time you looked at it.
Apr 3, 2017
14 posts
5 upvotes
I completely agree. It scared the shit out of me, and thankfully I was just sitting at my desk. If there were more information (incl. likelihood that they are now in Toronto which is where I live), it would be more useful too.
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1384 upvotes
Toronto
peanutz wrote:
May 14th, 2018 12:06 pm
My phone has startled me twice in the past hour with a disturbingly loud buzzing for Amber Alerts, missing 8 year old Gabriel McCallum with Lynda McCallum as suspect. Are you receiving the same?

I'm getting alerts even though it's supposed to be somewhere in the Thunder Bay area. I can't say I agree with this use. Domestic "kidnappings" happen, but I thought this was for public emergencies, like earthquakes or other natural disasters, public menaces (e.g. terrorist attacks, killers on the loose), etc. And Amber Alerts where the child is at risk of serious harm or death.

What do others think?
No issues with this at all. I'm glad it worked today.

"While criteria for issuing an AMBER Alert may vary from province to province, basic requirements include:
  • The child is under the age of 18
  • There is a belief that the child has been abducted
  • There is a belief that the child is in imminent danger
  • There is information to be released that may help locate the child and/or the abductor (e.g. description of the child, the suspect or the vehicle driven by the abductor)

Source: https://missingkids.ca/app/en/amber_alert-criteria

"Between 2003 and 2012, Canada issued 64 Amber Alerts involving 73 abducted children. Of those, 70 were recovered and returned safely and three died."

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/amber-ale ... k-1.816392
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2532 posts
1179 upvotes
On one hand, people will start to personally know how many kidnappings occur in Ontario. On the other, it might discourage future kidnappers from following suit.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2017
1332 posts
383 upvotes
Toronto
Yes!! I got my 1st one at 12:01pm today for a little boy kidnapped by a white female. I thought this national alarm texts was only for tornadoes and incoming missiles?
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21148 posts
10576 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I’m glad this system is in place. I got both warnings as well. Minor inconvenience if it can help in these types of kidnapping cases.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
1096 posts
854 upvotes
GTA
Came through my car speaker and scared the scrap out of us. This is going cause car accidents by startling people. Really wish there was a way to opt out of the sound part. Makes my ears ring.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2532 posts
1179 upvotes
DaveTheDude wrote:
May 14th, 2018 12:47 pm
Came through my car speaker and scared the scrap out of us. This is going cause car accidents by startling people. Really wish there was a way to opt out of the sound part. Makes my ears ring.
Good point.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
11589 posts
6412 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Disrupted my mobile gaming experience.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
13437 posts
1721 upvotes
Mississauga
I have a corporate iphone and personal android phone, both on rogers networks. (Rogers and Chatr)

iPhone received it much earlier than Android device.

But I have no qualms about its use -- specially if it's saving lives.
Last edited by weedb0y on May 14th, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
5532 posts
1156 upvotes
Richmond Hill
got 2 this morning. Some day this is gonna give me a heart attack
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2006
1229 posts
481 upvotes
Thunder Bay
It's on Cable TV as well

/stupid jarring thing interrupted the Commodities Show on BNN TWICE!!! Heavy Exclamation Mark Symbol
VERY UNNECESSARY AND MORE BLATANT GOVT OVERREACH!

This is a personal family dispute obviously and mother of child
is being pursued by father..probably a lot we'll never know
Feel sorry for child Confused Face
I live in that solitude which is painful in youth, but delicious in the years of maturity. -Al
Oct 24, 2009
342 posts
70 upvotes
I didn't get any. Was told by a co-worker that about it. I hope the child is safe.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2013
1405 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
Some people have gotten it but I haven't. I'm on Fido.

I disagree with it. It's a slippery slope and I can certainly see how it could be quickly overused.