Pets

emergency care - dog

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2016 8:20 pm
May 3, 2016
543 posts
76 upvotes

emergency care - dog

Will be entering Vancouver by air in a few months, bringing my 7 lbs dog. God forbids, if she doesn't feel well upon landing... where can I take her?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1473 posts
1208 upvotes
British Columbia
A regular vet will be fine unless it is after hours. I'm not sure when you would be landing but some clinics are open until 8 pm or so; it can be dependant on the day of the week. You would actually be in Richmond (not Vancouver) upon landing so it may be easier to get to a Richmond clinic.

If you need an emergency 24 hour clinic there's Vancouver Animal Emergency or Intercity.

I wouldn't worry though.
May 3, 2016
543 posts
76 upvotes
Thank you for responding. It's after hours. You are right, I should be more worrying with the long haul flight than anything else.

There's a 9 hour transit with 2 flights, 2 hours and 11 hours respectively. I wish there's a direct flight from where I am.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
Please ensure that you have your dog's records with you, especially records of vaccines and any health issues. But note that emergency vets (and regular hour vets) will do a complete physical on your dog before treating her. You did not indicate in your post your departure country or breed of dog (mixed or a pure breed - this can make a difference when flying). Also whether your dog will be flying in-cabin or in cargo.
May 3, 2016
543 posts
76 upvotes
In-cabin not allowed, needs to be in the cargo. She is a 7 lb, 2 year old mixed Pomeranian and chihuahua.
May 3, 2016
543 posts
76 upvotes
Do you think getting her a bigger than enough carrier will help her "more comfortable" during the long journey?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5161 posts
708 upvotes
South of Ottawa
wyho007 wrote: In-cabin not allowed, needs to be in the cargo. She is a 7 lb, 2 year old mixed Pomeranian and chihuahua.
Huh. I though small dogs that can fit under the seat were allowed in cabin?
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
Beachdown wrote:
wyho007 wrote: In-cabin not allowed, needs to be in the cargo. She is a 7 lb, 2 year old mixed Pomeranian and chihuahua.
Huh. I though small dogs that can fit under the seat were allowed in cabin?
It could be the carrier that will not allow in-cabin transportation of the pup.
May 3, 2016
543 posts
76 upvotes
There are stricter rules for international travels, at least for the route I can only take. And yes, my pup needs to bear the different animal treatment standards in 2 different countries before arriving Canada. What a leap of faith.

As she needs to go to cargo, do you think it helps if I get her a bigger carrier? She currently has one which lets her turn around, stand, stretch. When she needs to be in the carrier for so long (about 24 hours), I'm sure she'd relief herself and possible vomit. She loves her current one which serves as a little cozy den though.

For point of reference, my dog is 30cm tall (stand straight) and 40cm long (nose to tail) and her current carrier is 60 cm long, 40cm tall and 40 cm wide.

Wondering if I should get her an even bigger carrier for the long 24 hour air travel. Hope you can share your thoughts.