• Jul 12th, 2018 9:34 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
1223 posts
59 upvotes
Mississauga
Was out at the store yesterday and someone called the cops on the a guy who left his dog in the car with barely a window cracked open. Humane Society took the dog away right infront of the person who owned the dog.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
419 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
Scott84 wrote:
Jul 21st, 2011 5:42 pm
Was out at the store yesterday and someone called the cops on the a guy who left his dog in the car with barely a window cracked open. Humane Society took the dog away right infront of the person who owned the dog.

Great of you to do! :D Was this in Mississauga? :facepalm: :mad:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6809 posts
313 upvotes
Ottawa
Scott84 wrote:
Jul 21st, 2011 5:42 pm

I really don’t understand people. I mean what if I lock you up in a hot car and let you bake for a while and see how much us humans can take the heat.

I feel bad that my boy hasn’t had a walk in about a week as it’s just too darn hot outside. I cannot believe how hot it is when I get home from work and even by 8pm it’s still so humid. I worry about my boy’s paws as the sidewalk will be HOT!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2010
2726 posts
75 upvotes
slowtyper wrote:
Jul 21st, 2011 4:44 pm
My dog is really huge and furry and my apt isn't air conditioned. Its not so bad in here though as I've had many fans running around.
The fans do help!

In this video, a vet is using a fan to cool down a dog.

You could also try filling a big metal or glass bowl with cold or icy water
put next to dog
He might sleep right next to the bowl because it feels cool
- bottle of cold water would probably work too

Other things to use:
- ice packs
- cold soda pop cans
- frozen water bottles
put in a pillow case or something

- cool water foot bath
- make his nose wet (always check his nose if it looks normal)

make sure that he drinks cold water

PROTECT your pet from HOT SUN/HEAT. Dogs can die of heat stroke/dehydration=panting, fast breathing. Dogs need WATER, SHADE, COOL air
http://youtu.be/rYmk2jJZGdM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHgrrA1ERgo
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2051 posts
345 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
I stumbled across this place while I was looking for something else. They have a pool where you can book time and go for a swim with your dog. Great place to go in this heat so they can exercise and cool off. http://www.fitdogs.ca/swim.html
May 6, 2005
871 posts
22 upvotes
One of the other things people need to worry about are hot spots. When it's real hot and humid and the dogs have wet fur that doesn't dry properly (it happens alot in labs and retrievers) a tiny nick/scratch can get infected and it spreads like wildfire. I've had my dog experience this and it's hell (they need to get shaved/clipped and it looks like a their skin is covered in open sores/red, itchy inflamed, etc.

Swimming is great for dogs in the summer, but really make sure to dry them and not bake in the sun with wet fur.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
1809 posts
145 upvotes
Toronto
JACKIE26 wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2011 8:53 pm
I stumbled across this place while I was looking for something else. They have a pool where you can book time and go for a swim with your dog. Great place to go in this heat so they can exercise and cool off. http://www.fitdogs.ca/swim.html

Oh that looks interesting! Have you been there before, first hand experiences?

I have a small dog, a chihuahua mix and she hasn't gone swimming with me before (though apparently has gone in the water before when she was with her foster family, she's a rescue dog) and I wouldn't mind trying it out. But not sure she is a "water dog".
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2010
2726 posts
75 upvotes
It's hot again...

I was thinking about the dogs who live in hot homes

people who are too cheap to turn on the air conditioner

or people who don't have air conditioner

place your dog near a big bowl or bottle of cold water
- ever see your dog lying next to the toilet?
It's probably because the toilet feels cool (contains cold water)

the dog should sleep on a cool floor (ceramic)
- no carpet, no blanket

always make sure that your dog has cold water to drink
PROTECT your pet from HOT SUN/HEAT. Dogs can die of heat stroke/dehydration=panting, fast breathing. Dogs need WATER, SHADE, COOL air
Deal Fanatic
Nov 8, 2002
5028 posts
456 upvotes
I've had times when I had my dog with me and I had to run in somewhere quick unexpectedly (phone call from the wife asking me to pickup something on the way home), and I've left my dog out in the car. But I leave the car on with the AC on. Windows are tinted and since when I have my dog with me it's usually because I've driven somewhere different to walk him, I also have water available for him.

If you really need to leave the dog in a car, why don't people do this? (people who have car starters or smart keys should be able to do this no problem without fear of having their car stolen).

I have a black car with a black interior, and with no AC on and the windows up, the car gets really hot after just 5-10 minutes when the sun is beating down.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9363 posts
952 upvotes
GTA
Brandon wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2011 1:47 pm

If you really need to leave the dog in a car, why don't people do this? (people who have car starters or smart keys should be able to do this no problem without fear of having their car stolen).

I thought a lot of cities have idle laws too... I would just take the dog home and then head out to get what I need.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 8, 2002
5028 posts
456 upvotes
YLSF wrote:
Aug 6th, 2011 10:22 am
I thought a lot of cities have idle laws too... I would just take the dog home and then head out to get what I need.

Ottawa has an idling law, but it has this provision:
2. No person shall cause or permit a vehicle to idle for more than three (3) consecutive minutes in a sixty (60) minute period.
3. Section 2 shall not apply to,

(i) occupied vehicles when the temperature outside the vehicle is greater than twenty-seven degrees Celsius (27°C) including the humidex calculation or less than five degrees Celsius (5°C) including the windchill value as determined by the Environment Canada temperature readings;
Aug 7, 2011
13 posts
1 upvote
SCARBOROUGH
If I'm going to the store to do a quick grab i always bring the pooches (labs) for the ride. I leave all the windows fully down winter or summer as they are very well behaved. That being said I think the max they have been in the car is 15 min no matter what the temp. I'm in the yard now watching them swim around in the pool.
If you have shopping to do then leave them at home. 15 min is my max and i'll walk out if i see a long line if i have the pooches with me.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2011
1281 posts
89 upvotes
Nowhere
^As you said, leave your dogs at home. 10 - 15 minutes, windows up, windows down. It does not matter.

They should be left at home period. Sorry I do not mean to attack you, but the bottomline is that they should not be left in a car period
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2010
2726 posts
75 upvotes
chuckeieio wrote:
Aug 8th, 2011 4:39 pm
IThat being said I think the max they have been in the car is 15 min no matter what the temp.15 min is my max
One day, the 15 minutes will do harm to your dog
and you'll end up regretting that you left your dog outside on a hot day
Aug 7, 2011
13 posts
1 upvote
SCARBOROUGH
All windows down,15 min (max) will do damage to my doggies? Get real! Do you bubble wrap yours? Mine are the most exercised, well cared for, and loved dogs in my neighborhood. 15 min hanging out in the car watching the everyone walk by is fun for them.
Oh and on super hot days we just drive to the beach for a swim. I have no AC. in my car. Does this make me a monster?