Emissions test: 1 monitor not ready

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2019 7:00 pm
Aug 16, 2015
387 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto

Emissions test: 1 monitor not ready

Would I pass the emissions test with 1 monitor being not ready? I believe it’s the evap system that’s acting up as I get an intermittent P0456 ( very small leak ). Engine light comes on randomly every few hundred km ( on and off with no stored codes ). It stays off most of the time but the readiness state of the evap system is always not ready. I’m selling the vehicle if that makes a difference,
15 replies
Jul 26, 2010
927 posts
89 upvotes
eastern Ontario
I think someone told me it would because the computer wont't do an evap test in cold weather. Not sure if that's true though, just was told it by someone.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
3199 posts
2222 upvotes
ontario
When selling the vehicle cannot have any systems 'Not ready

When just renewing, you can have one and 'pass'.
Aug 16, 2015
387 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
How would the OBD emissions test distinguish between renewing or selling? I don’t think it would... I am due for a renewal as well.

esoxhntr wrote: When selling the vehicle cannot have any systems 'Not ready

When just renewing, you can have one and 'pass'.
Apr 29, 2017
446 posts
541 upvotes
TheSandman1 wrote: How would the OBD emissions test distinguish between renewing or selling? I don’t think it would... I am due for a renewal as well.
The shop will ask you and input into the system before performing the test, then this gets verified when going to service Ontario for your sticker
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1386 posts
1101 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Technically OP can get his vehicle's drive clean done with 1 monitor not ready. Pass the test, then put the vehicle up for sale. In the new drive clean rules (Apr/17) a vehicle doesn't require a re-test for changing ownership if the current drive clean is still valid.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1821 posts
1285 upvotes
I dealt with a similar problem during the summer with my car. It has a tendency to throw a "Catalyst problem" code and turn on the check-engine light, but my car is old enough that I don't want to drop $1,000+ on a new cat. Turning the CEL off is easy enough with an BT OBDII dongle, but then the car isn't ready to be e-tested. The repair shops will tell you to just drive it for a few days, and to cold-soak your car a couple of times before driving and that will get your readiness monitors to complete their work. However, with my Toyota, I found that it was a fair bit more complicated and that I needed to simulate specific driving conditions to have the computer do the readiness tests. For the EVAP test on my specific car, the instructions from Toyota are:

1) Cold soak the car overnight.
2) Open the gas cap in the morning to release the pressure.
3) Start the car and let it idle for 4 or 5 minutes until the coolant hits 75 degrees celsius (the OBDII reader and the Torque App are handy for this).
4) Rev the piss out of the car for 10 seconds at 3,000+ RPM.
5) Allow the engine to idle with the A/C on for 15-50 minutes.

Your car will probably have a different drive pattern procedure to get your car to do the EVAP readiness test. Clearly, the procedure that Toyota has for my car is not something that I would naturally do while driving every day. I would recommend that you do a Google search for "Readiness Monitor Drive Patterns" for your car's make, model and year. If you are lucky, you'll find the magic recipe on the internet that will enable you to get your EVAP ready.
Aug 16, 2015
387 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
I asked the emissions test tech and he said it doesn’t matter if it’s a sticker renewal or selling. It’s all the same, according to him. To conclude this thread, I passed with 1 monitor being not ready. Actually I plugged my scan tool and it said the evap system was OK. So who knows what actually happened. All I know is my POS car passed lol.

prochargedv8 wrote: The shop will ask you and input into the system before performing the test, then this gets verified when going to service Ontario for your sticker
Jul 26, 2010
927 posts
89 upvotes
eastern Ontario
with the new rules no e-test is required to sell a vehicle. Makes sense because current owner had one in previous 2 years max and new owner will need one within 2 years. Test is now free "during the renewal period" . Reason it's only then is because someone buying a car might insist that the seller have it e-tested even though it's not required for the transfer. However the government doesn't want to pay for this test situation. In my case I still pay because I get mine done right after my birthday of the year that no test is required. It's good for 1 year so it's good for my next renewal. That way if just before my next renewal my check engine light comes on and I need repairs I'm not pressured into paying higher repair costs to get it done quickly. The law does say I can't ignore the fact that it needs repaired, but there is not quite the same time pressure. Before I started doing it this way one year I paid extra $300 for expensive tuneup because I paid dealer part price.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3083 posts
1445 upvotes
GTA
I passed just fine with one monitor not ready.
Nov 27, 2018
8 posts
I have a 2011 so Im guessing it is only allowed 1 not ready correct? It is the Evaporative System thats showing not ready will I pass someone had posted No but I cant find any documentation that says the evap has to be ready to PASS?
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
All monitors must be ready. Conditional passes are no longer allowed for that.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/drive-clean ... #section-2
Readiness conditional passes no longer available
If your car is deemed “not ready” you can no longer receive a readiness conditional pass.

You will be re-directed to a two-speed idle tailpipe test or a visual test if all of the following conditions are met:

your vehicle has received two consecutive “not ready” test results
48 hours or more have passed between each test
your vehicle has been driven at least 40 km between tests
your battery has not been disconnected and the on-board computer codes have not been cleared in the last 40 km of driving
the number of “not ready” monitors has not increased during the second test
you do not have all of your non-continuous monitors in a state of “not ready” at the second test
edit: apparently people are still getting the conditional pass for having 1 monitor not ready.
Last edited by derass on Jan 24th, 2019 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aug 20, 2014
15 posts
oshawa on.
You are still allowed one "not ready" monitor. But more than one and you fail. I just brought my car in today (January 24 2019 in ontario)and passed with one "not ready" but all others ready.
Aug 20, 2014
15 posts
oshawa on.
yes mine was the evap "not ready" but all others were ready and i passed.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
miketamm wrote: You are still allowed one "not ready" monitor. But more than one and you fail. I just brought my car in today (January 24 2019 in ontario)and passed with one "not ready" but all others ready.
Did you do the test once, and then come back for a second test 24 hrs later?

This was the process when I got a conditional pass for EVAP monitor not year a few years ago.
Aug 20, 2014
15 posts
oshawa on.
I have my own obd2 code reader so i knew going in that the evap was in the "not ready" state. It always is and doesn't change no matter how much i drive. Did the test only once and it passes as long as its the only "not ready" of all the monitors in the cars computer.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)