Automotive

Emissions Test + Check Engine Light

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2018 10:13 am
May 2, 2014
527 posts
226 upvotes

Emissions Test + Check Engine Light

Hello guys, my mom uses an old car, a year 2000 model, mostly to drive down the street to do shopping.

soon she will need to do the emissions test to renew her plate sticker, the problem is, the "check engine" light is on. This light came on roughly around the same time i noticed an engine coolant leak. So i suspect this (or a deteriorated timing belt) is too blame for this. I believe these are non-emissions related items. fyi: i was quoted $1k to replace the timing belt by a mechanic.

anyways, i read that a "check engine" light is an automatic fail in the emissions test.

So my questions are:

1. what are my options? i read about the conditional pass options, but i think it requires the driver to spend $450 on repairs. Would the car be eligible for this? 450 is still an expensive price, especially considering that i will replace the car in 2019.

2. what are the penalties for driving a car with an expired plate sticker?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2009
1469 posts
255 upvotes
ausername wrote: Hello guys, my mom uses an old car, a year 2000 model, mostly to drive down the street to do shopping.

soon she will need to do the emissions test to renew her plate sticker, the problem is, the "check engine" light is on. This light came on roughly around the same time i noticed an engine coolant leak. So i suspect this (or a deteriorated timing belt) is too blame for this. I believe these are non-emissions related items. fyi: i was quoted $1k to replace the timing belt by a mechanic.

anyways, i read that a "check engine" light is an automatic fail in the emissions test.

So my questions are:

1. what are my options? i read about the conditional pass options, but i think it requires the driver to spend $450 on repairs. Would the car be eligible for this? 450 is still an expensive price, especially considering that i will replace the car in 2019.

2. what are the penalties for driving a car with an expired plate sticker?
replace the car a year earlier.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2009
1055 posts
698 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Disconnect the battery to reset the ECU, reconnect to see if it comes back. Or get a OBD 2 reader and find out the exact cause.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2007
15496 posts
2735 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
Pull the code and see what it is. Or see if you can get a conditional pass.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
There is only one way to pass the test, it is to fix whatever is causing the CEL.

Either get a new car or fix it. It shouldn’t cost a grand to replace the timing belt, and if it does, you’re being hosed.

Just my two cents, but deteriating belts or coolant leaks do not cause CEL. Coolant leaks could cause a LCL, and a deteriating belt doesn’t do anything... well until it snaps.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10277 posts
9274 upvotes
Kitchener
CEL = automatic e-test fail. Either spend up to $450 to get a conditional pass and then spend additional money later or get a new car now.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4937 upvotes
Toronto
Go to a mechanic, get it diagnosis and fix it.
Mention that you need the car to pass the test, see if they have any option for a "cheap fix".

Or if the cost is too expensive, just replace the car now. We are 4-5 months away for 2019. I would rather use the money toward the new car than fix an old car then sell it within next year.

BTW, CEL light on will fail the test, you need a pass to move on.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)