• Last Updated:
  • Mar 14th, 2018 11:14 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1121 posts
92 upvotes

Emissions Test with exhaust leak

My car requires emissions coming up soon, the car has 350K km on it. Would a car pass emissions if it has a leak before the catalytic converter? Not sure how big the leak is, did not investigate yet. But i'm planning to swap out the o2 sensor as car is giving out some codes.

Also have a few items to fix.

Emissions Readiness Monitors:
Catalyst: Incomplete
Evaporative Sys: Incomplete
O2 Sensor: Incomplete

I'm looking into swapping the O2 sensor myself, and hopping it would also fix the Catalyst? Not sure why the catalyst says it's incomplete, because of the leak? Read with one emissions monitor not ready, car can still pass. The car is throwing codes P0031 (o2, bank 1, sensor 1), and P1148 (CLOSED LOOP CONTROL). Read these two are related to o2 sensor.
10 replies
Apr 6, 2008
699 posts
308 upvotes
I'm assuming you're in Ontario. If the check engine light is on (for any reason) then it would fail the test. The hole itself won't make you fail, but if it's super loud they may notice the hole and refuse to test it. Get the o2 sensor fixed, get the CEL to turn off, run it for a week or so of regular driving, then take it in. Not sure if they still have conditional pass...maybe someone else can chime in.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
3476 posts
1173 upvotes
Toronto
The reason they are incomplete or not ready is because you just cleared the fault codes or disconnected the battery for few hours.

Drive 50kms or for few days and they might change back to ready or display fault code if there is a problem like you claim. If it still shows incomplete, you might want to disconnect the battery over night instead of using the obd2 to reset the ECU.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1121 posts
92 upvotes
Does resenting the ECU via unplugging the negative battery terminal get recorded in the ECU? Do the drive clean testers care about this?

I usually go to a place in Newmarket called "Zero Emissions Auto Service", they are very quick and only do emissions, just don't know if they care about exhaust leaks though. Any good alternatives out there?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
3476 posts
1173 upvotes
Toronto
Don't think emission test care about how many time ECU been resetted as long as the monitors/sensors are ready and operating without faults. But I am sure some ECU do record amount of time it got resetted. All emission test centre care at present time is what the computer says so. So if you have a exhaust leak and emission test computer says normal, then it's a pass.

All they do is connect obd2 testing device and read any fault codes. If you have CEL or fault code, you obviously will fail.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1121 posts
92 upvotes
I'm a newb, but lets say the test fails. Can the car still be driven on the road?

I assume at this point insurance is void, as the car is on the road with a void plate/sticker?

But I can still keep paying for the car and not drive it also, as an option? Guess my main concern is to not have a insurance lapse if the emissions test fail and I don't find a new car in time.
Nov 16, 2011
632 posts
387 upvotes
HAMILTON
Emission tests are timed to plate renewal dates.

If a vehicle does not pass an etest, you cannot get a new sticker so if you drive the vehicle, you are driving illegally and your insurance then becomes void should you be involved in an accident.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1121 posts
92 upvotes
luckystrike1 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 8:11 pm
Emission tests are timed to plate renewal dates.

If a vehicle does not pass an etest, you cannot get a new sticker so if you drive the vehicle, you are driving illegally and your insurance then becomes void should you be involved in an accident.
But one can keep paying insurance for the car and not drive it on the road if needed correct?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1121 posts
92 upvotes
Also for the monitors not ready, I read, I could have one not ready and still pass.

Emissions Readiness Monitors:
Catalyst: Incomplete
Evaporative Sys: Incomplete
O2 Sensor: Incomplete

Is the Cat (Incomplete), totally independent of the o2 sensor? Just trying to determine if it's time for a newer ride. Would swapping the o2 sensor fix 2 of the three monitors, i.e. o2-sensor and catalyst?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1121 posts
92 upvotes
Called a few emission test places. Sounds like if they hear/smell an exhaust leak they won't even attempt the test till it's addressed.

Anyone know emission places that are not that particular and will attempt to run the test?
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
10620 posts
3456 upvotes
Toronto
reggyDeal wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 9:41 am
Called a few emission test places. Sounds like if they hear/smell an exhaust leak they won't even attempt the test till it's addressed.

Anyone know emission places that are not that particular and will attempt to run the test?
get your car fixed.